Feliway ...any good?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Feliway ...any good?

Post by emmab »

I have just bought a refill feliway for Diabolo as he is very nervous and meowing all night. I am hoping it will calm him down. My questions are, has anyone had any luck with it and after how long? I do not like going in every time he meows as it may prompt him to keep doing it, but am hoping the Feliway will help him?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Feliway ...any good?

Post by booktigger »

I can't live without it, Lucy is a much nicer cat with it. Unfortunately it doesn't work all the time, did nothing for Buster
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

booktigger wrote:I can't live without it, Lucy is a much nicer cat with it. Unfortunately it doesn't work all the time, did nothing for Buster
Oh Ok thanks. Hope it helps. I still cannot stroke the beautiful little fella. He is eating and poopinh OK just hides under the bed bless him.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Not saying the Feliway is working yet but had a small play with Diabolo just now. It was under the bed as usual! I am feeling my age having to conduct conversations and playtime under a bed :lol:
At least it is progress as the first time he saw string he hated it! I leave a radio on for him day and night and leave a small light on at night too.mHope this is a good thing to do? Could do without the meowing sporadically throughout the night though. I hope he isn't lonely, Normally it isn't a problem with previous cats with meowing.
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

Unfortunately, I think Feliway is like catnip - some cats are more susceptible than others. It also depends on how much of it the cat is exposed to. For example, if you have it plugged into a socket in your living room but your cat spends a lot of time outside or in another room, it won't necessarily pick up enough to have an impact. We tried some about 6 months ago for one of our cats and it did precisely nothing, but it might have been because she wanders around the house a lot and might not have had enough exposure.

Have you considered an alternative? Pet Remedy is cheaper but it's valerian based so it's more natural, and the Beapher Calming Spot-On treatments are meant to be very good as well. Still valerian based but they go directly onto the pet's skin. If you put it on the top of the head, rather than the back of the neck as you would with other spot-on treatments then it means they've got full exposure wherever they go and whatever they do.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I wasn't sure if there was anything else although the Feliway is plugged into his room atm so he should get the full benefit if it is going to work. Problem with spot ons etc is I cannot get near him to do that so cancels that one out atm, but worth knowing thank you. They recommend the feliway is plugged in away from windows and not behind furniture so hopefully it will do something.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

emmab wrote:Not saying the Feliway is working yet but had a small play with Diabolo just now. It was under the bed as usual! I am feeling my age having to conduct conversations and playtime under a bed :lol:
At least it is progress as the first time he saw string he hated it! I leave a radio on for him day and night and leave a small light on at night too.mHope this is a good thing to do? Could do without the meowing sporadically throughout the night though. I hope he isn't lonely, Normally it isn't a problem with previous cats with meowing.
Lucy's started working within a couple of days, although it says 4 weeks. Lucy's safe place is also under the bed
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well this morning he has played with some string and he uses his basket on top of the cupboard although he does dash back under the bed when we go in. He did eat some tuna from a dish in my hand this morning which is progress, be it a little.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Sounds really promising
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Is a light on for him in his room at night a good idea? He has had one on since we got him and it is a night light rather than the full room light.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

emmab wrote:Is a light on for him in his room at night a good idea? He has had one on since we got him and it is a night light rather than the full room light.

I have used a night light, lavender can also help
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

When we brought tiny Cody home to join bruiser Gandhi, we didn't need chemicals as they loved each other on sight. She was so very sweet natured, loved animals and humans unreservedly. I tell you this because introducing Armand was not so easy and Feliway was recommended. Never again. All 3 cats became more and more irritable and bad tempered, a distraught Cody! It literally was as though they could smell the pheromones of another cat but couldn't find it. Removed Feliway, peace returned. A year later, we introduced Feliway again for a different problem, same thing happened, harmony shattered, all 3 cats unhappy, Armand started urinating all over house, removed the blooming thing, again peace returned, dear Armand settled down. An expensive waste of money. But that's just my experience.

Issi
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I need to give it a go as it is on the whole a popular product. Yesterday was positive, however today he has gone backwards.nI think something acared him whilst we were out. The only thing it could of been was a tractor.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Unfortunately it is often one step forward, two back with nervous cats.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Not sure what happened whilst we were out. When we came home we couldn't find him anywhere and eventually found him hidden behing the chest of drawers. I think he may of got lodged in there. Cannot of been anything at home so not sure what spooked him. He hasn't even meowed since this happened. Hopefully he will eat his tea. He had a couple of treats hut that's it bless him. We will start afresh tomorrow and hopefully he will be better.
Phantom T Cat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Phantom T Cat »

I'm very skeptical of feliway and the like: is there a similar pheromone treatment for humans? No, not one that has medical evidence to back it up. It sounds like a 'magic spray' to me, and I think veterinarians should give more behavioral advice and sell less snake oil. Feliway probably does more for the owner's state of mind than the cat.
Of course, this is my opinion only, and I don't want to upset anyone who has experience that is different, I'm just a cat servant who has probably been ripped off for years by vets, or more likely the reps who sell this stuff to vets.
:D :D
PTC
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm sceptical about it, but there is a massive difference in Lucy with it, not sure how pleasant living with her without Feliway would be. It wasn't the vet who suggested it though, and I don't buy it from the vet. I could look into a behaviourist, which would be better than the vet, but it works fine for us.
Nellyjuke
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Nellyjuke »

I've used it twice: once to settle coco after 3 week stay at cat hotel and after his recent surgery. Appears to work, but difficult to be sure.