I feel like the worst owner in the world!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Simons Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

I feel like the worst owner in the world!

Post by Simons Cats »

Users of the other forum will remember my quandary about Ella & Archie and the cattery.

We last had a holiday 3 years ago when we'd just moved. Archie had only been with us a month and hadn't been "done" and was too young to go out. Ella was still on lock down to get used to the new house and area. So a sitter was a great option.

3 years later, they both love to go out but we don't have a cat flap, through choice, so a sitter wasn't an option. The worry of them getting out and the sitter not being here to let them back in was too much. So we found an AMAZING cattery and decided it was the bets option. I could not have found a better place. The owners are lovely, Ella and Archie have a lovely indoor / outdoor pen but today was finally D-day and we dropped them off.

I'm in bits, I don't want to go on holiday and I feel so sad at how bewildered they must be.

To make matters worse, Archie was not great on the way there. He gets nervous going to the gym but this is the first time he and Ella have been in the car together since we moved and it seemed to intensify everything. They were both crying. Archie was panting, wee'd and poo'd. I sat in the back with them and cos of his mess I took him out his carrier, and he collapsed on my lap, looking devastated.

When we got there, Ella seemed ok, very vocal but she always is. Slightly fascinated there was a cat next door and in the outdoor space. Archie cried and hid in his career. I cried through the whole visit. As I say it's the perfect place but I feel like part of me in missing.

Sorry I know I'm waffling. I just needed to get it out.

tomorrow we fly off till next Saturday. I just want to be back and pick them up NOW
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: I feel like the worst owner in the world!

Post by mr_frisky »

I'm sure they'll be fine. They'll probably sulk for a while, but if you're worried you could always call the cattery at moments of doubt.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Dear Simon,

You poor thing and poor Archie! He'll probably have a bad first day but then he'll be fine. It's the shock of the transition to something new. We took our three to the cattery recently and they've been before, but this time Jessie, the nervous one, cried and screamed and whimpered all the way there and as soon as we let her out she went and hid under a little baby sofa and cried piteously. We had to leave her like that. I was worrying, but by the next morning she had come out and was fine, and they were played with and relaxed and happy by the time they came home.

She cried a bit on the way home (she doesn't like traveling) but once inside it was as if nothing had happened. I'm sure it will be the same with Archie. Enjoy your holiday and do call the cattery to see how he's getting on - mine emailed me a photo of the girls happy and relaxing and it cheered me up no end!
claire_lee
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by claire_lee »

I hate leaving ours at the cattery but it is the only way my husband can get me to go on holiday and relax at all.
The first time we put ours in there I was in bits when we dropped them off - there had been a bit of an upheaval with another cat being around the house which resulted in one of ours, Wolfie, not being happy about coming into the house. So I was really worried about the dynamics of the relationship.

We had some time off after we got back which was brilliant as the cats were so happy to be home they never went far away from us. Wolfie in particular was happy to stay in all day and snuggle with us. Now I always leave some time between getting the cats back and going back to work to take a bit of time to give them some fuss.

I am sure your cats will be the same - they will be wonderfully cared for while you're away but they will appreciate their home and you all the more when they come home.
Simons Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Simons Cats »

Thanks for your message. It's harder than I anticipated. I know tonight is the worst night because they're not here and the house feels so empty. Tomorrow, by the time we get to Dubai, that's two days gone. I have my best friend and my partners mum on stand-by should they need them, plus another couple that have been toying getting a cat have agreed to take Ella and Archie in should anything happen to us - that's all I'm worried about Ella and Archie :oops:

I've had a message saying they had some tuna with their cat food. There is a chicken in the grounds and Ella is fascinated with it and watching what's going on. There is a big beauty of a boy in the next pen and Ella knows he's there and is trying to work out how she can mingle with him. Archie has let them stroke and tickle his chin (It's a husband and wife and operated from their garden)

They will email often and let me know. I really couldn't have found a better cattery but I can't stop feeling really upset about it and worried about how bewildered they must feel. I don't want to go on the bloody holiday now.

I know I have to enjoy it and we work hard but I just feel so upset for them.
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by oggers86 »

They will be fine. The last time my two went in a cattery Elsa went and hid and Elise started climbing up the mesh. They went off their food for a day or so but were soon back to normal. Your cats are settling in just fine.
Simons Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Simons Cats »

I'm back. I really missed them but we got updates. Archie found adjusting harder, Ella settled straight away. Both seem happy on return and they took wonderful pictures of them