Talking like a person

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Talking like a person

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey all,

I realised something today. We're all friends via our cats. Why else would we talk? If I saw you on the street I wouldn't know you, and yet we have at least one thing in common.

I'd like to rectify that, so I'm going to post 5 things you probably don't know about me. Some things you may like, or laugh at, enjoy or hate. But I want to do this, and I hope other people do too. When you spend so much time talking to another person or people you want them to know you.
I hope that you'll join me in this.

1. I am a professionally trained classical and jazz musician, but I didn't think I could make it a career so I swapped to teaching.
2. I miss England terribly, my family the most, but second the food.
3. I am a trained teacher to students aged 7 to adult, but I don't like teaching anyone under the age of 12. I find children exhausting.
4. My favourite animal is the rabbit, followed by dogs. Cats are my third.
5. I teach English to Spanish students, but I got an F in French for GSCE when I was in school.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Talking like a person

Post by Lilith »

Umm...maybe I might only be able to miaow or hiss like a snake but here goes - :D

At present I'm an insomniac but really really wish I could sleep better!

Love cats and snakes too.

I've got absolutely no co-ordination so can't play any instrument but I did used to be a folk singer and still sing - everything from folk to jazz to classical...always hoping the neighbours aren't irritated.

I'm odd. I believe round here I'm known as 'weird'. And 'strange'. Story of my life.

I don't care :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

What a lovely idea! Mrs Kane, you live in Spain and you miss English food?! :? Seriously, my friends in the south of Spain (Ugijar) go down to the coast every week where they have found a shop that does English brands. There must be something like that in Barcelona?

It is funny what you say about your musical talents. Your avatar photo always reminds me of someone I know. She is a very talented musician, but is so shy, she can't play in public, so she teaches.

Lilith, if you are talking odd, you'll have to get in line! :lol:

1. I came to NI 17 years ago (on a six month contract) and fell in love with the place. The only things I miss about England are my sister, Boxing Day at my Godmother's and Bridgemere Garden Centre!
2. For the first 44 years of my life I was a Dog Person. Then Willow happened along! Now I'm a Born Again Cat Person. :lol:
3. Speaking of born again, I am a Christian - who hates 'Organised Religion', a non-conformist who believes 'God so loved the world that He didn't send a committee'.
4. I really don't like children (even when I was one - I was bullied for being tall) but I adore my OH's grandchildren and am proud to death of their achievements.
5. The current 'bee in my bonnet' is 'Climate Change'. The Earth's climate changes - it ALWAYS HAS! Turning all our lights out is not going to change a thing. If you want to save the planet - PLANT TREES!

Oh, and I have to say it, don't feel bad about the French exam Mrs K. I got unclassed for my history O level. It was SO boring I fell asleep in the exam! :lol:

Right, I'm off my soapbox now, I think I'll have a lie down in a darkened room and wait for Abigail to blow over!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That is a lovely idea ..... and it must be a cat person thing as I always seem to be regarded as 'odd' as well! :D

My parents are British but I was brought up in Vietnam, went to a French school in Saigon until I was 8 and all my friends spoke French - I would have been in BIG trouble if I ever failed any French exams later on!

Music is very important to me and I worked in the music industry in my youth - it's a major regret that I don't play an instrument. 'Respect' to those of you who can sing or play something.

I'm an antiques dealer and also work part-time for an auction house, and I love history and anything old.

I don't have kids of my own and have never actually got round to getting married, but have been with my OH for over 25 years and he has children from a previous marriage who now have children themselves. I'm really not good with small children, they scare me a little.

I like 'tinkering' with mechanical and electronic stuff - taking things apart to see how they work and I like to see things mended and repurposed rather than thrown away and dumped in landfill. Much better for the planet.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol - it's great to be with like-minded people! :D

I like recycling stuff too, Crewella...I used to be an avid 'skipper' - my ex's nickname for me was that slang referring to 'travelling person' which always made me laugh and agree...well, part of me's descended from Dublin horse dealers lol. Don't know what the other parts of me are...when it comes to those stupid ethnic questionnaires I just answer...beige... :lol:

Aaargh my stumbling block was always maths. I was forced to go to the local (very posh) girls' high school, where I did NOT fit in. Even if I did win a scholarship (how in hell did I manage that.) They said I had to take maths O level.

I turned up for the exam, sat down like a good girl, filled in my name neatly at the top of the paper...put my pen down, and sat like a statue for the rest of the two hours or whatever it was. Since it was so posh and stiff-upper-lip, nothing was ever said...

I failed, of course :lol:
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

A daydreamer, typical Pisces ,I am known to be a 'witch' second sense etc, and when old school friends met up after many years, i got the 'much more intelligent than i look' ( used to have long blonde hair) my humour sometime backfires, hauled in front of boss of building society once for forging his signature, i also added 'wet paint' posters on work doors and had all staff detouring round the whole building ...i was known as feret at work, i solved any problems there was with detective work, give me a murder ....
Talk fast, but remember anything and everything !
I now spend my time making cakes and chutneys etc, but could never make a living from it although i am often told i should as i nearly always just give them away ! :0) too soft by far...

Always taken in strays, the more hopeless the better...

Married, 3 children, 3 grandchildren and an allotment!

Driven for over 40 years but i still hate blooming roundabouts and will not drive on motorways, or go in lifts, or any confined space, claustraphobic, oh and didn't get O level English Language, useless at spelling, but hate text speak ! :0)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Ooooh girls, this is weird, I always thought of myself as an individual (not one of the crowd). But it would appear I was wrong. There are a lot of us out there!

Apart from falling asleep in the history exam, I was advised by my poor maths teacher not to bother even taking the exam. I too went to a 'posh' girl's school and I can well remember the poor woman, after explaining something to me for the umpteenth time ' I don't understand why you don't understand!' :lol:

I too hate waste (OH is getting me a shredder for Christmas so I can make better compost). When I donate clothes, they usually go straight in the rag bin. Even my OH is second hand. :lol:

I'm told I have a good voice, but I'd hate to sing in public, so just sing in the bath or car. Fortunately we have no close neighbours.

Drove on the M6 - once - NEVER AGAIN. Hate town driving, give me country roads any time. Once, when I was unemployed, a taxi driver friend offered me a job. I said 'you must be joking, I don't like to turn right, across the traffic!' :?

My spelling is atroshus, atrowshoos bad, but I hate sloppy emails - then I did go to a GRAMMAR school. Ha Ha sorry!

I think we should get together, we could give the A Team a run for their money, a bunch of immensely talented folk like us.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Oooohhhhh

Okey dokey!!

The fourth out of five children from S.E Wales. Went to the local Comp (not in the least bit posh!!). Passed maths 'O' level but failed Russian (never quite understood why we did Russian in school but everyone fancied the teacher!!)

Used to sing - used to be told I was quite good at it......lost confidence to try now apart from when alone in the car. I also used to play the guitar, mainly classical and acoustic. I don't get time to practice now!

Talking of which, I learned to drive when I was a student in Newcastle. Failed FOUR tests!! I hate driving in urban areas. We now live in the most beautiful part of south west Wales. The roads are quiet - luckily for me!!

Growing up, we were more of a dog family than cats, but my ginger boy was my absolute solemate when I was going through my teenage years. We now rescue almost any animal - hedgehogs, wild birds, sheep, dogs, cats...........

I am married to my wonderful hubby - we met 30 years ago as students. We have no children - just cats and chooks at the moment - oh, I also volunteer for BHWT and help out at Rehoming days!

:roll: :D :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Oh my! I didn't expect such a reponse! And so amazing at that! :mrgreen:

Glad to know I'm not alone in the whole "left shoe" thing. As they say: "I don't mind being weird, I excel at it!"

Russian? Weird choice that, Walesgang... Then again we did Italian at school for some reason. But only if you were "good enough". I was not. *sits in the corner with a dunce cap on* :P I'm annoyed about it now because the top group got to do both Italian and Spanish. How about some trickle down economics on learning, teachers?

It must be fate because my maths has always been terrible. I took a C at GCSE (I think that means I probably failed at O level) Purrhaps cat people are destined to be useless at multiplication ;)

I'm glad you're as recycle friendly as I am Bobby's Girl! I use every excuse not to waste old clothes.

Though I am surprised so many people hate driving on the motorway. I simply love it! True I was terrified for the first few months. (2 days after I passed my test I was told to go to Plymouth, from Portsmouth, for a seminar, scariest hours of my life!) But now I almost think of it as therapy.

My BF would get on well with you NannyMcFee! He's a typical prankster! But you share my fear of lifts. I hate those things.

But wow at your balls Lilith!
I turned up for the exam, sat down like a good girl, filled in my name neatly at the top of the paper...put my pen down, and sat like a statue for the rest of the two hours or whatever it was. Since it was so posh and stiff-upper-lip, nothing was ever said...
I could never do that. Even if every question was wrong I'd still fill out the paper.

How come you were in Vietnam Crewella? That sounds like an interesting upbringing!
What a lovely idea! Mrs Kane, you live in Spain and you miss English food?! :? Seriously, my friends in the south of Spain (Ugijar) go down to the coast every week where they have found a shop that does English brands. There must be something like that in Barcelona?
Eh, I've learnt over the past few years that nothing really comes close to home in terms of food. I miss Fish and chips shops most of all. We do have an English food shop, but it's across town and a real pain to get to. I only really go there as a special treat. And the prices are so out of this world (7.50€ for a bottle of Ribena, seriously?) that I try and make whatever I buy worth it.

I am also a Christian. But I don't believe in Religion. I believe that God created the universe and I believe he watches over us but I don't believe that he would agree with people praying to him in a church in order to make the boogeymen go away.

Ah Bobbys Girl. You and I could talk about climate change until the cows come home.

*Lends Lilith her beginner clarinet* You never know missy! You never know!
I have the opposite problem to you though. I sleep far too much. I've been tested for anaemia so many times I've lost count. I'm constantly on iron tablets. Nothing wrong with my health. Apparently I just like sleep.

Keep em coming guys! I LOVE this! It's like we're all in a bar meeting up for the first time!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

LOL Mrs K - I was a total wimp usually but...just sometimes, I dug my heels in... :D

My so-called 'family' (you'll gather we never saw eye to eye) dragged me to church as it was the 'right' social thing to do - nothing to do with genuine religious feeling. My mother was a Roman Catholic Irish immigrant but thought the C of E was posher. I shamed her by marrying a Roman Catholic lad, in a RC church too and the grandparents and aunties were all overjoyed - but then I became a Wiccan Pagan (something that had been waiting for me all my life I think.)

We were a mixed marriage. We still love each other though we separated after 25 years. The religion thing was no obstacle. He made jokes about broomsticks; I cooked fish on 'fast' days (the cats appreciated it too) and saw him off to church every weekend, although once, he'd arranged to play squash, and arrayed in all-white tracksuit, said he was leaving early as he had to see someone in the church bar where he was volunteer barman (RC churches have no fussy notions about alcohol) first.

'You can't,' I said.

'Uh?'

'You can't go in like that!' He is a big guy, bearded, and he was clad top to toe in white.

'Why not?'

It was Good Friday.

'They'll think it's the second coming!' :shock: :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

You are so right there, Mrs Kane. I can just picture us around a big table, various tipples in front of us, laughing fit to burst! :lol:

Lilith, my dad was bought up a Catholic. His family was outraged when he chose to marry a 'C of E'. :roll: We married over here. The church we attended was a Presbyterian one in the south. I reckon we covered all bases. The Best Man, my OH's best friend, trained for the priesthood before giving it up to marry. My Godmother was bought up Methodist, mum C of E, me Baptist, Brother-in-Law claims to be Buddist. The service was conducted by our Minister and our friend a Baptist Minister. Afterwards we all danced in a local pub and our Minister joined the band to play drum and guitar. Wow what a day. BTW my dress was my sister's dress, altered by a lady in the village and cost me next to nothing!

I am tracing our family trees and recently realised there will be no record of our marriage in the UK. That could be a headache for someone in the future. :lol: :lol:

Keep 'em coming, I'm loving this.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Bumping because we need to bring this back!

So here's 5 more facts about me. I hope our newcomers will post too after saying "who is this Mrs Kane?" (Sorry I'm sporadic in my activeness) Veterans feel free to post more about yourselves :)

1. In school I had thick glasses, bad acne and braces but I was never bullied. (You can thank my headteacher for that, he had a bullying = expulsion rule.)
2. I was terribly shy as a child and teen but now I'm mostly very outgoing. Unfortunately overcoming this challenge means I'm very irritated by shy people. (I did it, why can't you?)
3. I have 3 cans of salmon I'm saving for a "me moment." They're close to expiry but I'm the only one that loves salmon in this house and dammit I need to find the right moment to eat it. (Spain doesn't "do" canned salmon, only fresh and smoked.)
4. We recently had a flautist move in next door. She plays for 4 hours every day. I resent her for her commitment and the fact that she only plays 3 damn songs. (Seriously, there's only so many times I can hear "Peter and the Wolf" before I bring out my clarinet and start playing the accompaniment)
5. (Somewhat of a downer. Sorry chaps.) My grandma has Alzheimers. Every day I get updates on her health. Every day I think she's going to die. She was a big part of my childhood and I love her. My mum expects me to go to my cousins wedding. I don't like my cousin and I don't like his fiancee. I think he's making a bad choice by marrying her and I think he's a Di- not very nice person. I only have enough money saved for one return trip right now due to finances. I need to book tickets soon and I would much rather see my grandma than see this ass and his soon to be wife's wedding. Even if grandma thinks I'm my mum. (I look like her a lot) or doesn't know me at all, I love to talk with her.
Lets make it 6 just because I don't want to be a moaner.
6. My favourite TV series is MASH. I think it's timeless. I'm so addicted that I once spent 60 dollars to get Alan Alda to sign a hardback cover of his book for me and got it shipped back to England. When I'm having a down day I watch season 7 because I think it has the best episodes. Although I also like season 2 and 10. It was also the first thing I ever saw when we first got cable when I was a teenager.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I seem to have missed this first time around so I'll add a bit about myself.

I was born near Sheffield in Yorkshire, when I was 6 my parent moved to Herefordshire. When we went to view the property the owners had a cat. I firmly told my parent that I would only move if the cats stayed. Needless to say the owners took their cat with them. However my Father was dentist and while talking to a patient mentioned this as small talk, only to get the answer that the patient had a cat that had just had a kitten and she would keep him for us. 10 weeks later she had a follow up appointment and happily told my Father that she had kept the cat for us. Which is how we ended up with Rusty.

I'm another that didn't go to the local comprehensive. When we moved I was 6 and my sister was 8. We started at the local comprehensive and I was a year ahead of my class and she was two years ahead (we had both been to the comprehensive in Yorkshire) the school wouldn't do anything to help us so we ended up in a private Co f E school, and that is what taught me that Christianity and particularly the church didn't mean a thing to me.

After giving up Geography before O Levels I decided to do a degree in Environmental Science at Polytechnic, which is when I moved to Wolverhampton. It has left me with a rather odd attitude to environmentalism and climate change. As one lecturer put it, 'the environment can never be destroyed, but it might be irrevocably changed to such an extent that it is no longer somewhere humans could live'. Personally I am firmly in the belief that the only way we could really make a difference is to accept that the human population is too high and look at ways to start its decline. I don't mean killing people, but the attitude that a woman should always want kids needs to go and birth control has to be made available to all.

Which i guess brings me to another thing about me, I have the maternal instinct of a brick. I never wanted children and I have no real interest in someone else's children beyond the fact that they are healthy and well. Fortunately I found a husband with the same attitude. It seemed that from the age of 18 to mid 30s someone would be telling me that I would change and I would want children, and i would regret it if I didn't have any. I am now in my late 40s and my attitude hasn't changed if anything I have grown even more convinced that I made the right decision.

Finally something I have mentioned elsewhere and a look to the future. I am partially sighted, bad enough that I will never be able to drive and the other problems that normally occur with eyes with age seem to be happening at a younger age than would be expected. I am also tone deaf so while i have tried to learn to play instruments in the past I never seem to get far. Recently the company i had worked for (doing the accounts, for all of the degree I ended up in an office)recently had to close down. It shouldn't make a difference, but I can tell you that having sight problems does make getting another job a lot harder. Also i have been finishing off sorting out my Father's estate (he died last year) and waiting for the council to sort out the garden. we have asbestos contamination that was found over 10 years ago and the council have been taking it through the courts to decide who is liable for the clean up work. It is all sorted now and work has started on other properties effected, I hope we are looking at late February to early March for ours being done. Which makes getting a new job a bit more problematic as I will need quite a bit of time off when it is done. To fill my time i have dug out my old leather working tools and started relearning that again. I am now wondering if it might be worth setting up a small trading company and seeing if I could sell any of it. I am still not sure whether this is just a pipe dream or something I could really make a go at.

I think that that is really enough of a ramble about myself and probably far more than anyone really wanted to know.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I disagree Ruth, I like knowing more about my friends on CC. I know there are others watching and not everyone will want to join in, but it is good to know there other folks out there like me. We might not see eye to eye on everything, but as my OH would say, 'whatever makes your boat float'.

Mrs Kane - the bit about your neighbour brought back memories. When we lived in England we had a neighbour whose son was learning guitar. I'd be out working in my garden in the summer when he flung open his bedroom window and cranked up the amps. The only thing he could play was 'Smoke on the water'. To my dying day, that tune will drive me round the bend, 'ne ne ner, ne ne ner-nerrr, ne ne ner, ne nerrrrr, AAAGGGH! :lol:

On the repair and recycling theme, I have a clock case in at the moment. I'm fixing it up for the client of an architect friend of mine. I love a challenge but this one has me near beat. It's worm-ridden and the doors are all smashed up. I got a picture framer to make me two new ones (eventually!) and have aged them with a nail (worm holes) and some nuts (metal) threaded with string,a tip picked up from Lovejoy! Boy oh boy, I shall be glad to see the back of it.

It's a beautiful afternoon here and I'm not sure what to do. I am very tempted to do some work in the garden, but 1, I don't work well on a full tummy, 2, my shoulder is still sore from the work I did the other day and 3, if I crack on with it I can get OH's family tree sorted today (that's my winter project, that and learning Spanish) Enough wittering, DO something woman! Oh, I also hate to waste a day.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Hi all,

Well let's see, I've always been a cat person, even before I ever had one. For years I begged my mum and dad for my own cat but I don't think they particularly liked them. Either that or it was because we already had a dog, hamster, budgie and probably a goldfish as well. As we were living in literally a two up two down terrace house most of the time it would have been like Old McDonalds farm.

A learned to ride a motor bike when I was 30. I later went on to become an instructor.

I have little to no sence of direction, (Oh those poor little bike trainees)!

My husband is 19 years older than me. We've been together 26 years this June and I have 2 step children whom I love very much, although we lost Rob our youngest to pneumonia two years ago.

I love children but I was unable to carry one to term, so I sponsor a little boy through Actionaid and have been doing that for the last 8 years.

I love being part of a community with all of you strange, diverse, wonderful folk. :D :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Judy Barnett wrote:Hi all, I have little to no sence of direction, (Oh those poor little bike trainees)!
I can vouch for that! :lol: Your timings not so good either .... remember the time you went to the ballet? I'll let you tell that one - still has me in stitches.

If I remember rightly, it was two budgies, Starsky and Hutch! Those were the days when your big sister was quite anti-cat! :oops: Well in my defence all the neighbours cats were using my veg patch as a GIANT litter tray. :evil:
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Didi »

I am fairly new here but have been made to feel welcome so a little about me.
I have been a radiographer for more years than I am prepared to divulge working in the NHS my current role is slightly more managment than clinical although part of it involves working for 2 universities looking after and teaching students.
I am a hopeless worrier as hard as I try I can't help myself
I have one grown up daughter
Out of work I tend to be involved in crafty things like knitting ( not always the best hobby with a cat around !) sewing and jewellery making

My first cat was many years ago when I was a child, he was the kitten of a semi feral farm cat that heraelf was the kitten of one of the local steelworks mousers he was called Zebadee (after the magic roundabout character) and was the terror of the village even the huge Alsatian down the road would run away if he saw him. I once made my dad climb a tree to get him down because he was "stuck" and he was a useless mouser given his background
For many years I was catless until persuaded by my daughter to get a kitten that was Milo who had to be PTS a year ago after 11 years. Now I just have Bilbo who is actually my daughters cat I am looking after since she split up with their partner
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Hi Sue,
Do you mean the time Angela and I got all dressed up to go and see Swan Lake at the Regent only to find out it wasn't on for anther month. Oh dear a thought you'd forgotten about that :oops:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Judy Barnett wrote:Hi Sue,
Do you mean the time Angela and I got all dressed up to go and see Swan Lake at the Regent only to find out it wasn't on for anther month. Oh dear a thought you'd forgotten about that :oops:
I'm all for being early but that that was ridiculous! :lol: :lol:
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Folks I too issued the first round. So about me ... I grew up in Papua New Guinea and was sent off to a very - now - posh private school in NSW - I was 11 & the headmistress who hailed from the UK didn't take too me. She gave me a torrid time & I hated every minute of it incl my fellow boarders. I bonded with the day girls. And I too deliberately failed French.

Crewella growing up in PNG was a catalyst that pivoted me to Vietnam 2003/04 where I helped students with conversational English. Cut a long story short I met a lass who was home from the UK & have been to VN three times spending time with her & her family. She's now quality auditor manager for Jetstar in Hanoi & has been out to see me twice. Oh and I can speak some VN but with a northern accident.

As a child had dogs only had cats since 1992. I've never marred my maternal instincts zilch and I too used to be told 'you'll regret it..."

I'm turning 60 this year still working and hate my job - the three puss-kateers are my saving grace as is my volunteer job every 2nd Sat for the vet. I'm very process driven & do all their paperwork, filing & archiving incl ensuring ther dangerous drugs log is correct re: government auditing. And I'm practically 20 years older than my work colleagues - I think they'd like me to go!!!

While living in Australia have never considered my roots are here. Oh and I'm a Libran - scales must be balanced - hate liars, users & injustices.

I'm very language driven & have a grad cert in writing, editing & publishing - I'm a better editor than writer.

Hope this gives some insight into me.

Vivian
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Well, here goes: I'm an artist and writer, did a degree in Cultural Studies as a mature student, and taught Creative Writing for ten years. Never thought I'd do that - everybody has a book inside them and in 99% of cases that's exactly where it should stay - but I actually enjoyed it and turned out to be an inspirational tutor.

Born in Holland, I came here aged 18 knowing nobody. It was to get away from the drugs scene. Parents both dead of degenerative brain diseases, no contact with siblings for decades (by choice) or ex-husband (also by choice). One son now aged 30 who lives 217 miles away, according to my satnav.

Went to Gymnasium inn Holland, which is so elitist only 5% of all pupils go there. Did six languages, including Greek and Latin, and excelled at French. Dropped out in fifth year, and as you're supposed to do an exam in everything in year six, I ended up with nothing. Well, I knew all about Greek irregular verbs (don't ask) but nothing about Life. At all.

Have lived with a cat - one at a time - since my early twenties. Twice divorced. I'm a loner. Don't fit it. People think I'm weird. Why isn't that a surprise on this forum? BTW I'm Cancer, with Virgo rising and the moon in Scorpio (brrr!)

Used to go circle dancing - folk dancing from Eastern Europe, also a spiritual element. Learned to play guitar badly, became main vocalist in ad hoc band singing in Greek, Hebrew, Bulgarian, etc. Love Greek dance and music. And no, the Greek I learned at school is no use at all - it's to modern Greek what Anglo-Saxon is to English. So my schooling was a complete waste. My education is a different story.

Actually, I could list another fifteen things but I'm not going to. That would be arrogant. It's fascinating to read about all of you.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I was rubbish at languages (and as for maths .....!) but I am glad of the grounding in Latin. Not quite such a 'dead' language as the Greek you studied Catslave, it has helped me no end with gardening over the years. :D

I'm not into the whole star sign thing, but I know a bit about it (and Chinese horoscopes) through the design work I've done. I have to admit as a 'Taurus' I'm definitely an earth sign! My interest in gardening started at about 4 years old and I spent over 12 years working in the ceramic industry! :lol:

If anyone IS trying to learn a language, may I recommend Linkword. If I can learn Spanish ANYONE can!

Like you Catslave I'm not a team-player, I was drummed out of the Brownies for 'not joining in'. :lol:
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Bobbys girl, I think everybody should do a basic course in Latin at school, as it is actually quite useful in that it teaches you grammar, i.e. the nuts and bolts of language, of how language works. Judging by the standard of English in public life these days, this is badly needed. I have a kind of instinctive grasp of language - I can spell naturally, I just 'get it' in a way that I've never been able to 'get' science. My son did A levels in maths, physics and chemistry, and has a Masters degree in chemistry, but my brain just can't retain this stuff. He's explained stuff like calculus and quadratic equations to me several times (I learned those at school without ever understanding what they are for) but it's in one ear and out the other, without leaving a trace. To me, science is like tying to learn a language by memorising words from a dictionary, without ever grasping the underlying principles. I'm very bad at abstract thinking, as my brain works with images. I have a completely visual imagination: if I can 'see' it I can understand it. My son's brain works in a completely different way. I find it fascinating to see how different people's brains operate.
I can see certain trends, certain similarities in what people on this forum are revealing about themselves, can't you?
By the way, I'm not really 'into' astrology. I certainly don't believe in horoscopes, but I do think that star signs can reveal things about someone's psychology. I've been into Jung's analytical psychology, or 'depth' psychology, since my early thirties, even looked into the possibility of becoming a Jungian therapist (I had counsellor training) but it didn't happen.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I managed to scrape a C in both French and Latin O Level, and in an odd way I feel that the Latin has stood me in better stead through out life than the French did. I didn't learn enough French to be really useful if I went abroad, whereas the Latin is a lot more about the structure of language and you can see where not only English but other European languages have their roots. It was also still taught the 'old fashioned' way when I did it, you sat and chanted your verbs and nouns, you had to learn all about the different tenses and when they should be used (how many people today have even heard of the future imperfect or the pluperfect, I'm not sure some even know the basic past, present and future tenses). Languages didn't come easy to me and I envy those that find them easy to learn.

On the other hand Science did, which is why I have A Levels in Chemistry and Biology and a degree in Environmental Science.

You see so many similarities here and so many differences as well, which is what makes it such an interesting forum. We all approach things in slightly different ways, and of course as every cat is different as well it means that while one answer will work for one it won't necessarily work for another but someone else will have a suggestion that does.

As far as birth signs go I am a typical Capricorn, if someone is being polite we are dedicated to whatever we do, if they are being blunt we are just obstinate or bloody minded. How true it is, I don't know, it might be that we see the bit that applies to us in a description and ignore the rest, or it could be that the weather effects our parents behaviour and so people born at the same time of year are brought up similarly and that effects the way they turn out. Who knows, in my mind it is just a bit of fun. On the other hand, a full horoscope based not only on the month of birth, but hte exact time and place does seem to have a degree of accuracy. As both a scientist and a Pagan I am willing to believe that there is a lot that science has yet to explain.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

My spelling is not good but whenever OH or my friend the retired headmaster have any 'formal' correspondence they want to send, they always ask me to check their grammar. If you have to send a 'snotty' letter it is so much better if it's set out right. :D

As for Latin, at my old school we would have end of term sports and entertainments with the staff taking part. I'll never forget a centenary sketch they did. A classroom scene with 'in' jokes. Our Latin teacher was asked 'Cynthia, where are your past participles?' 'Dunno miss I've got me red flannel ones on today.' I don't know what surprised us more, the fact that we learnt her name, or that she had a sense of humour (however bad). :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol, fascinating!

I'm a (Chinese) Water Dragon/Cancerian with Aries in the ascendant, sun in Leo and Mars in Scorpio ... :o

I 'did' Latin at school too and although I'm endlessly fascinated with words and etymology the only Latin I can think of is:-

Pim
Pis
Pit

Pimus
Pistis
Pants

Ah, the benefits of a classical education! :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Altogether now - amo, amas, amat.... :lol:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Or as I heard it said.

A mole
A mouse
A rat
A mammoth
A martin
An ant
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

:D Folks who didn't do Latin are going to wonder what we are blathering about :lol: . Better change the subject. :lol:
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: