scratching wound

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
marydoll
Frequent Cat Chatter

scratching wound

Post by marydoll »

I am posting this on behalf of my friend.

She has a cat who keeps scratching at a wound he has. The wound came from a bite by another cat. He has been to the vet, all sorts of tests done, but no definitive diagnosis as to why he won't stop licking it. He's had the collar on but still manages to get to it. He is a healthy cat, loves his food, uses his litter tray but he will not stop licking this wound. He is now wearing a little suit to stop him licking this wound. Does anyone know of any kind of a coat we could get for him to keep him from the wound. There is a special coat you can get, which we did get, but he ripped it to bits. My friend is at her wits end as it is costing her a fortune in vet care.

We are determined to help this pussy cat but need help and advice if anyone has anything they can advise.

Many thanks
Marie
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: scratching wound

Post by Alice »

Hello Marie

It would be very helpful if you can explain just where on his body the wound is, so that we can suggest what can be done to protect it. A photo would be even better if that is possible.
marydoll
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by marydoll »

Hello, Jazz's wound is in his armpit. I will try and get a photo. Thank you for replying.
marydoll
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by marydoll »

Hello I now have a photo of Jazz's wound. He is on Apoquel (not for cats but my friend agreed with vet that they would try this on Jazz) oh bother cant get6 the attachment to attach. Will have to try something else.
marydoll
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by marydoll »

try again for the photos.

Now being told that files too big. I don't know how to make them smaller can anyone help before I pull all my hair out. I am not a computer whiz. Mariex
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi Marydoll, I've found this useful for photos -

http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/view ... 1326#p1326

I go to the second option. 'resizer' - I resize the photo and rename it and save it in my downloads and that works - paws crossed!

Paws crossed for Jazz as well. There is an inflatable collar available called 'Comfycollar' which isn't as disabling as the plastic cone - don't know if this might be worth giving a go? Good luck to the poor chap.
marydoll
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by marydoll »

Thank you I will give this a try and tell his Mum about the comfy collar. The problem with the plastic collar is that it irritates his neck and his skin is then broken and that another problem, but maybe te comfy collar would do. I think part of the problem is that air is not getting into the wound to dry it up. Myra, his Mum is demented for her boy, and is desperate to get help for Jazz. The vets are great. xx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

The comfy collars are good. My cat can suffer with flea allergy dermatitis if she isn’t treated about every month. When she’s had this we’ve used a comfy collar and it’s worked a treat in about a week. Sometimes (depending where the wound is) she can still get at it and one disadvantage with that and the cone is, if it’s on the face she can still sometimes rub against things. I use the antibacterial powder, you can get at Pet Shops, along with the collar, and it dries any sores up as well pretty quickly. Best of luck!
Last edited by Janey on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

We tried the Comfy Collar and Flo was still able to get at every part of her body. We bought a transparent green/blue cone collar with soft edges that you clip together without having to use a cat collar. We took it off for dinner and a quick groom but then popped it straight back on again until the wound was fully healed. Don't remember where we bought it, but it was probably somewhere like Pets at Home.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

This collar is really good as well:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/54k/Company- ... mfy+collar

If you go for a slightly larger than you need one then hopefully your friends cat won't be able to reach the wound; and then when it comes to eating time you simply just flap the collar back so he can easily get at his food

Also, what about manuka honey - yes expensive for the medicinal quality one, but if she puts some of it over the wound it will hopefully help with speedy healing?
marydoll
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by marydoll »

Hurrah I think I have managed to post a photo of Jazz's wound
Attachments
20170119_131228.jpg
marydoll
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by marydoll »

Hello this will sound like a very stupid question but I am assuming that the Manuka honey should be spread on the wound?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

You know what they say - there is no such thing as a stupid question :)

I've just been reading about Manuka honey myself - yes, it looks as if you do; just treat it like ointment. The reviews on Amazon are very good; I've ordered a pack of 3 x 25g tubes for about £10, post free, as i'm putting together a proper medicine basket, just in case. I've ordered a Comfycollar and a Soft-E collar too, again, just to have in.

This is what I like about this forum - you go on learning :D

So that wound's in his armpit? They must have got well stuck in - what did the other guy look like?

Joking apart, very best wishes to the poor chap and do hope you and your friend manage to find some relief and healing for him, all the best :)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

When we adopted our last oldie she came from a vets, which had a small rescue within it. There was cat in there that had been burnt and she had a sore to which they were applying Manuka honey. I’ve used it myself on sores and it can help, although for my cat’s type of sore, which she scratches at, I prefer that anticeptic powder I mentioned, it’s brilliant stuff because it soon scabs it over and twice a day for a week with the collar did the trick, all healed. I will post a photo.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Janey I overlooked that ref to antiseptic powder; I once had to use some and it was magic. What's the name of the stuff you use?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

HI Lilith, yep you just put the honey on the sore if using that.

I have two makes of the powder, one I bought first, and couldn’t find so bought another, then found the first so not not opened that and it’s Johnsons. The one I have opened is Vetzyme and I just put some on a tissue and dab onto the wound. Or if it’s not near the eyes you can just shake a little on. You can buy them from Pet Shops and Amazon.

Here are before and after pics of Tasha:

tasha3.jpg
tasha3.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 6127 times
tasha 4.jpg
tasha 4.jpg (39.78 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww bless her, pretty girl; she looks very laid back even having to wear the collar :)

Thanks for that. Have ordered that Vetzyme - they call it antibacterial powder, on Amazon for about £4.30, postage free. The sort of thing you forget about (or I do) until it's suddenly needed :)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Lilith wrote:Aww bless her, pretty girl; she looks very laid back even having to wear the collar :)

Thanks for that. Have ordered that Vetzyme - they call it antibacterial powder, on Amazon for about £4.30, postage free. The sort of thing you forget about (or I do) until it’s suddenly needed :)
Yep antibacterial is the correct name (I called it that in my other post but was in a bit of a rush earlier - hubby waiting for me to go out :lol:) and yes she was chilling on his belly in the last pic but I think we’d taken the collar off then as it was much better.
marydoll
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by marydoll »

Hi everyone

I have passed on all your advice about manuka honey and the antiseptic powder, so she is going to try these. Jazz is off to the vet on Monday for a check up again. Hopefully these will work. If she puts a collar on, because the wound is in his armpit, he manages to scratch it with his paw so we are thinking of trying to make a breathable jacket for him to see if that will help too. Myra will soon be an expert seamstreess - she keeps customising things for him. And he is such a lovely cat, he also has diabetes and is injected twice a day. He really is a honey of a cat.

Thank you all very much.
best wishes
Marie

will let you know how we get on.
marydoll
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by marydoll »

Hi everyone
just wanted to give you an update on Jazz. When he went to the vet for his check up, Myra mentioned the manuka honey and the antiseptic powder, but because there is no infection in the wound, he couldn't get any of these things. Vet says the wound is closing very slowly and it will take time. To stop him from scratching the wound, he is in a babygro and it seems to be working.

thank you all for help. |\

Mariex
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww- a babygro? With a hole for his tail? Bless him! I never thought of him using his back claws to scratch the wound but of course that would be dead easy for a cat. Bad lad!

All the very best and hope the wound continues to close over, good luck Jazz and Myra and thanks Marydoll as you've given me some good ideas for my medicine cabinet by posting this thread :)
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

A number of posts have been removed from this thread, can anyone tell me why ?