Cat possibly swallowed string

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Cat possibly swallowed string

Post by cathyday »

Hello

We have adopted a 9 month old lad who joined us just 5 days ago. Tonight I discovered the knot off the end of a piece of string from our bathroom blind on the landing. Is was wet and chewed. I'm not sure how he got to it but it looks like there's a bit of about 2 ft missing. It's like cord so not very thick.

I know eating cord or string can be harmful to cats but what do I do? Any advice is gratefully received.

Thank you.

CD
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cat possibly swallowed string

Post by cathyday »

Rang our emergency vet last night for advice. They've advised keeping an eye on him until I get him in to see a vet today. JJ seems fine and is playing and eating normally. I am worried sick in case nature does not take its course...
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Morning Cathy - firstly congratulations on the new addition to the family; so pleased to read you've opened your home and hearts to another furbaby.

fingers crossed at the vet today and let's hope nature does indeed take it's course. Let us know how you get on x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

I once knew a Siamese who chewed textiles; he nicked a pair of socks off a neighbour's washing line but got found out when the evidence turned up ... in his litter tray.

Red and white striped they were, apparently.

If JJ has swallowed the string, hope it has an easy passage - paws crossed!
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Thanks for your replies.

Hi Ria - Yes we picked up JJ last Tuesday from Cats Protection in Crewe. He is 9 months old but still very lively and so affectionate. He's already made friends with H and last night they both slept together on our bed so that I could keep an eye on JJ. There wasn't a peep out of either of them all night.

Vet Steve saw JJ this morning and has given me liquid paraffin to give him 4 times today to encourage the string to pass through. He's just had the first dose on some smelly mackerel which he's eaten. He's still very lively and eating well so I'm hoping it'll work. I can't bear the thought of him possibly having to go through surgery to have it removed.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

sounds as if you are in for some :mrgreen: times!

I had a cat which swallowed some tinsel one Christmas, and it eventually reappeared at the other end, and had to be pulled out - not my favourite festive memory
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Any results yet? Been up and down all night with one of mine who had to go to the vet's last night with immovable constipation, poor lass; she's back there at the moment having had the equivalent of catly colonic irrigation, so I kind of have a fellow-feeling with you and JJ.

Hope the string appears soon :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed for him
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Day 3 after the string swallowing and JJ is still very lively and being his normal self.

I've managed to get 3 doses per day down him of liquid paraffin. He's pooped a couple of times but no sign of any string as yet.

Does anyone know how long it could take to reappear? I'm still not sleeping with the worry that this could still cause him issues, but then I'm thinking the longer he goes without problems can only be a good sign?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Glad to hear he seems ok still. Just wondering, but are you sure he actually did swallow it? Could he have run off with it somewhere you can’t actually see or not thought of, is that a possibility?
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Yes it could be possible that he didn't swallow it but we've turned the house upside down and can't find it anywhere thus we are assuming he's eaten it. The knot off the end was chewed and laid on the landing. That was the only evidence we could find of the crime.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

It's a tough one.... if he hasn't yet, could Steve do an ultrasound to see if there is anything untoward in the digestive tract? Just in case he did swallow it and it's not passing through. It could end up causing more issues in the long run?
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

He's not had an ultrasound as yet. We're seeing Steve at 4.00 today as a follow up. I'll report back after that.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Good Luck!!!

Cathy - a completely different question; how did you get on registering JJ with the pet insurance and his name only having 2 letters? ;) Wasn't there an issue with H?
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

You have a good memory! Yes there was a problem with H as the pets name has to have at least 2 letters. He is registered as Mr H. JJ is actually registered as Jay Jay.

JJ has been thoroughly checked by Steve and I've been told to keep a close eye on him for the next week, but that by now if there were to be any problems he should have started showing signs by now.

He's currently flying round the house after H so I'm hopeful he's ok.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol - I reckon he HID that string just to give you a fright, bad lad!

Paws still crossed here that he goes on ok though :)
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

I remember the troubles with H and the insurance company, I think someone's suggestion to get around it was 'Aitch'! Although my favourite 'H' memory has to be the one involving Glen's chicken...

I hope JJ is continuing to zoom around the place, lovely that he's made friends with H so quickly. We're hoping to be introducing a new furry to Hops in the next week or so (we sadly said goodbye to our little old Lady P the week after you lost Boris), I hope intros go as smoothly this end (with no string!).

Fusses to both your boys x
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

cathyday wrote:You have a good memory!
Can't take credit for that one - it was either Camdengirl or another (also CC) friend who mentioned / reminded me in a different conversation.

But fingers crossed that all remains OK with JJ
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

JJ is still flying round the house, eating and toileting just fine so all seems ok. Him and H are now eating together and sleeping on our bed at night. JJ has also started sitting on my lap. I'm amazed at just how quickly he's settled in.

Camden Girl - I'm so sorry to read you lost Lady P. I wish you all the best with settling another cat in with Hops. How old is he now?

I'll keep you in the loop on how my boys are getting on together.
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Yes, Ria, that would have been me :) good at remembering random details!

Lovely to hear that JJ has settled so quickly, it sounds like he and H are a great fit for one another. Hops is about 9 now, but still very lively and mischievous, we moved recently and he LOVES the staircase, he can't get enough of racing up it! We are hoping to give another timid overlooked cat a home (I don't know how much you remember about Lady P but she was semi-feral when she first moved in, and watching her turning into a feisty, demanding madam was very rewarding). We are off to Celia Hammond (where Hops came from) at the weekend. Fingers crossed!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi Cathy, lovely to hear how well JJ is settling in. It's hard to imagine naughty boy H as no longer being the only bad boy in the house! I hope the string episode is now resolved, one way or another. The doses of liquid paraffin may deter him from trying that again.

You do realise it's a requirement of this site that photos of new feline members be shared....? :D