So sad - my cousin died last week, leaving 2 cats behind

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

So sad - my cousin died last week, leaving 2 cats behind

Post by MarkB »

We weren't very close, although were close 'friends' on Facebook for the last couple of years and had talked about meeting up again. The slightly worrying thing is that she had 2 cats. I asked another cousin she is very close with (they lived 5 minutes walk from each other) if she knew and all she said was that she thought a neighbour might take them.

On a positive note, her adult son (who didn't live at home) posted an announcement saying she would be missed by family, her many friends and especially her 2 cats - so he sounds like he would do the right thing for them.

It is hard to push the issue - I am 65 miles away and people might think I am being insensitive asking about cats. Anyway, I will ask my cousin again as it is now a week since Jan passed away.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: So sad - my cousin died last week, leaving 2 cats behind

Post by bobbys girl »

So sad to hear that Mark. Thinking about you in this difficult situation.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

I'm sure your cousin would like that you're looking out for her cats. There's a reason they run those RSPCA bereavement ads so often.

Sorry to hear about your loss and here's hoping your family agrees with you on finding both cats a good home.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

so sad Mark and I'm sorry for your loss.

Dare I say, same as you I would be concerned about the cats as well and posts like this, I think are always a reminder to each and everyone of us to make sure we've made some provision in our will for our cats.

I really really need to get my act together and do so myself. Problem is I just don't know what the ideal solution is for my gang so I've been putting it off
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Funny you should say that Ria. We have just updated our Wills - not something you want to think about, but so much better for all if you do. All cats/pets are now covered.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

So sorry, Mark. I'm sure she'd be glad of your concern for her cats. xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm hoping this worked out OK, Mark?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Sorry Helen,I forgot to update. My cousin's (adult) son stayed at her house while she was in hospital and has done since when he can - trying to juggle it with work - he is in the middle of a big project (he lives about 20 miles away and doesn't drive). Between him and Jan's, best friend's daughter, they have been feeding the cats. Matt is at her house sorting out her stuff and one of my aunts is also helping. The friend's daughter has offered to home one and Jan's next door neighbour/friend is having the other one. I don't think they are bonded, so not such a big deal splitting them up. Poor Matt, apart from all the other stuff he is having to deal with (not least of all, losing his mum) he is allergic to cats and is having to take antihistamines to be at the house. One of the cats was a real mummy's boy and he is being really clingy :( - so a sad situation isn't being made any sadder. Everyone knew how much Jan's cats meant to her. They were both ex-strays that she started feeding and eventually took in.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Glad that things are getting sorted Mark. Such a sad situation, I hope everything turns out ok.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Jane. :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I remember how tough it was doing all that for a friend who had no family. Best wishes to you and Matt.

Pleased to hear the cats have new homes.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It is such a tough situation, for everybody involved, but I'm glad that things do seem to be getting sorted out. You're right about splitting up cats that are not truly bonded - sometimes it does turn out to be the best option.

Having just taken on an elderly cat who's owner had passed away, your family's situation felt particularly pertinent - thanks for updating, Mark. xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Sorry Mark, only just catching up on this, very sad to hear about your cousin, it must have been dreadful to have to leave her cats, and dreadful for the cats too, but very good to hear of the happy outcome - Matt was heroic!

Hope Matt's recovered by now and best wishes to cats in their new homes, and to their new owners too :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Mark hope things are looking a tad better for all. It's hard sorting things out - my estranged sister took my mum's cat but Tim Tam died just short of a year after mum. I said when I read on sister's fb that Timmy died "She died of a broken heart." They were very close unlike me & my sister. Matt will be going through a tough time on his mum's parting & dealing with nuances.

On the subject of wills I've updated mine & made arrangements for my three puss-kateers. One never knows what's round the corner.

And on that note I'm pulling the pin on work - plan my last working day 31 March, Hols to end of April (Easter incl) & then long service @ half-pay. Yes I'm nervous but just can't do it anymore. Little Paws said they'll keep me busy. My three house guests gone back with Pumpkin & Elsa with another carer (settling well) Annie back with Little Paws. Saw her yesterday. Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Wishing you all the best with your plans, Vivian. xx