Foster Cats - update

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Foster Cats - update

Post by Crewella »

Having not been around for a couple of months, I've just updated Buzz's thread about finding his forever home and thought I might as well do a general update too. After his false start, where his first 'new home' decided he wasn't settling and brought him back after about 24 hours (!!!) Buzz went back to the main cattery, where he stood more of a chance of being seen by potential adopters. That left my outdoor pen empty ...... but not for long.

Charlie was one of those stray 'stinky tom cats' that start to become a pest - breaking into people's houses and mugging their cats for their food. Some people liked him and left food out for him, he's a friendly sort, but others were keen to see him go, so he was trapped, brought into the rescue, had the snip, and came to live in my pen while his hormones wore off.

He's been doing OK for food and wasn't in too bad a condition, he's a small cat with a big tom cat's chops on him, but he's quite a handsome lad. He's a bit confused - he's obviously not quite sure of his reception, so he's actually hissing sometimes as he stands on his back legs to get an ear scritch from you, but at heart he's a very loving chap so I'm sure he'll settle down. And indeed someone has already fallen for him and he should be off to his new home with an experienced cat person with two older cats and a big house and garden in the next couple of weeks. He doesn't react at all to my gang, but we just want to make sure that his hormones have settled down to give him the best chance of a successful move.
Charle.jpg
Charle.jpg (101.5 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
Charlie 1.jpg
Charlie 1.jpg (88.13 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
And then a week ago a family took a 15 year old cat to be PTS at out local vets. The old lady she'd been living with was in hospital, had asthma issues and the doctor wouldn't let her go home to a cat in the house, so the family had tried to rehome, and failed, so felt they had no choice. The vet had other ideas, though, took her in and called us ..... so Twinkle moved in with me last weekend ...... and looks likely to stay! :)

'Twinks' is very sweet, and seems quite happy in our stairwell, which was the only 'space' we had! The others all know she's there, but nobody's batted an eyelid and she doesn't seem like much fazes her. Except she hates being picked up - the one time I tried she rapped me VERY smartly with her paw "put me down this INSTANT you big oaf!!" like some grand old dowager! :D

Twinks.jpg
Twinks.jpg (78.28 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Foster Cats - update

Post by bobbys girl »

Lovely to hear about the newbies. Hope Charlie settles in his new home soon. Twinks looks a sweetie. Give them both a fuss from me.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Sue, will do. :)

I'm trying to catch up on the posts a bit, but I hope your gang are all well?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Oh they're both gorgeous. Thank goodness the vet decided otherwise and Twinks now has a chance to live out her old dowager years with you. And as for Charlie, he is a stunner; I do love cats with the chunky chops - wishing him best of luck in his new home.

Fusses to all of yours x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Aww congrats on the new additions, so fortunate you were there for them. A pair of characters by the sound.

Charlie reminds me of a kitten of mine - I took her to bed with me on her first night to give her some company while she was still settling in. She snuggled into my neck, but my scent was still unfamiliar and every time I moved slightly, she hissed, just to let me know that she was still making her mind up about me. The hisses didn't last long :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Crewella wrote:Thanks Sue, will do. :)

I'm trying to catch up on the posts a bit, but I hope your gang are all well?
Yes they are all fine thanks. Willow's 'werriting', under foot all the time, Purdy is in ratbag mode - nothing is good enough for her. Grace can't wait for her daddy to go to bed, so she can cuddle up to him and Bob, well he's just Bob! :D Roll on the good weather and They can all go out and give me some peace!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I'm sure the old lady will be so grateful that her little cat wasn't pts because of her own health problems
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I thought that, Kay, and sent the vets a pic in the hope that they would pass it on to the family. I believe Twinks was originally a stray that the old lady took in, but I've no idea how long she's had her.

She's an unassuming little cat, I've given her a bed, a blanket and two cushions but she's refused to sleep on any of them and seems to prefer the carpet by the door. She loves her food, though, and does a proper song and dance routine when she knows her dinner's coming, in her creaky old lady meow. She arrived at the beginning of a horrendously busy week at work, so I've not had much time for her, but I'll start the introductions process this week. I think she's quite deaf, as I've managed to sneak up on her a couple of times this weekend and she's only known I was there when she's felt my footfall through the floor, rather than hearing my voice.

Fingers crossed for the intros! :)

Glad the gang doing well, Sue. By the way, I was pleased to see the spirit of lovely old Tommy made it into the corner of one of your beautiful Christmas cards! :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks for that Helen. How could we leave him out? He is still a (much missed) part of the family.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I had one heck of a job catching Charlie and getting him in a basket, but at last I managed it and he went off to his new home yesterday. I spoke to the new owner today, and he's hiding under the sofa but will allow a stroke and has had his tea, so hopefully he'll be fine. :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yay, well done Charlie! :D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Excellent news - go Charlie; hope you're very happy in your new forever home x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Congrats Charlie - that's great news and all the best in your new home - and congrats to everyone concerned too :D
CreamHeroes
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by CreamHeroes »

Well done Charlie!!! :3