Cat with pancreatitis - blood in diarrhea.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cat with pancreatitis - blood in diarrhea.

Post by Kris35 »

Hi all,

My 19 year old cat has got pancreatitis which flares up and then calms down again. When it flares up, her diarrhea has blood inj it. After a few days it tends to disappear. I wanted to ask - is blood in poo on and off normal with pancreatitis? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat with pancreatitis - blood in diarrhea.

Post by lilynmitz »

Any blood in faeces should be checked out with your vet. There can be many causes.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks.

She's had blood in her poo on and off for a year - nothing the vets give her helps - she is very sensitive to tablets and they make her ill. So I normally let it pass. If I take her to the vets there is nothing they can do apart from put her to sleep. Apart from this she is ok. And when it passes, she is jumping around playing. But I'm worried about anything happening to her - like a haemorrage (sorry, can't spell it) - don't wanna leave it too late. Think it's either her anus through the straining, or her intestines have flared up again.

I really want to know if anyone else has experienced on/off blood in poos?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

my Trigger suffered for years with blood in his poo, and used to bring bile up regularly when his stomach was empty, but all his digestive problems cleared up overnight when he was put on daily Metacam for untreatable cancer

he was prescribed it as pain relief, but obviously its anti-inflammatory properties were a real bonus

perhaps your vet might think it worth trying?
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks Kay. She doesn't take well to Metacam (bad reaction). It seems to have calmed down now, fingers crossed. I've just given her slippery elm - have no idea if it works or not as it's hard to know if it just dies down on its own. Stress!!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Don't know whether this has any relevance to your problem, but the only time one of my cats has had blood in her poo was when Sally was suffering from cystitis. When Tilly had Pancreatitis last year, there was no blood in her poo that I know of.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks Alan. She is weeing ok - it's died down a bit now. What I'm worried about is one day when I'm waiting for the inflammation to pass, she will have a horrible death and won't recover. I've never heard of a cat having bloody poos on and off for a year and surviving. Actually it's just blood that drips out sometimes. Going to talk to my vet again I think.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Blood in stools can also be caused by Metacam or cat foods that contain grains (wheat, corn/maize/prairie meal, etc). Could it possibly be either of those be causing it?

I saw after posting this that she's not on Metacam?
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

My cat had pancreatitis last year and there was no blood in her faeces.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Hi Maria, no she's not on any meds. She is tiny - she was the runt of the litter no one wanted - and for some reason her tummy is super sensitive (as sh'es got older) and she gets ill on meds.

Mr Frisky. Thanks. My cat also has IBS. I don't know. She is ok at the moment but last week she had a burst anal gland - which I've never experienced before. Vet gave me Synulox and told me to give her one twice a day. I gave her the first tablet and she started pooing and puking pink (tabs are pink), so I stopped. It healed up fine with me cleaning it but that was scary. She actually had a hole by the side of her bottom and all this stuff was oozing out.

I'm going to see how she gets on now but I think I'm going to have to let her go - although I've said this before again and again and she always gets better. One fear is I leave it too late.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My old Minnie had various gut issues and sometimes had blood in her poos for the last 8 years of her life. She gradually became unable to tolerate cereals or fish, and ended up on steroids (prednisolone) for her last year or two, but she nearly made it to 20. She too was tiny, and became skinny in old age, and I used to feed her little and often as the acids in her stomach would make her sick if she went too long without food. She had several bouts of bloody poos and diarrhea in her last couple of years when I thought that was the end, but she managed to bounce back. When we did eventually lose her, it wasn't one of those bouts - she just suddenly went downhill very quickly, went off her food and was very wobbly - it was absolutely clear that she'd nothing left in reserve, so we let her go.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Two of my elderly cats have had blood in their poos, one was very sensitive to cereals and he was fine if he avoided that. The other we never knew what it was but my vet said it was likely to be a sensitivity as she was mainly relatively fine otherwise (she was in her 20’s). If as you say it’s when the pancreatitis flare up then it’s obviously that or related to that in some way. I had another elderly cat who had acid but fine when he was fed little and often, he was also sick as soon as he ate any fish foods, and more than one of mine have been sick with Sinulox so I’ve asked for an alternative antibiotic. Sending gentle snuggles to your little one and hope she’s ok.