New cat causing havoc at neigbours' property

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
catly254
Frequent Cat Chatter

New cat causing havoc at neigbours' property

Post by catly254 »

I just adopted a new cat about a month ago, generally she is an adorable baby but lately she has been crossing over to the neighbour's property and causing damage to their household goods such as utensils. She is quite active and playful but her behavior is threatening to strain my relationship with my neighbor. A friend recommended a Kittywalk cat enclosure to contain her while she is outside playing. Just wondering has anyone experienced this or used any form of cat enclosures?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New cat causing havoc at neigbours' property

Post by alanc »

I have never seen one of those. They look a bit small for an active cat. Cat proofing your garden would probably be a better option if you can do it.
Last edited by alanc on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm curious, just what is she doing in your neighbour's house? And how is she getting in there?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

I agree that the "kittywalk" products look very small. If you try googling "chicken coop" you'll find a choice of enclosures with more space. I enclosed part of my garden, about 10 feet by 30 feet. The house wall is one of the short sides (with cat flap access to the enclosure) and the existing 6-foot fence is one of the long sides, so I had to add one 10-foot and one 30-foot runs of fencing to complete the enclosure. I stretched netting across the top, to stop them going up the fence and out that way. If you don't want a netting "roof", you can get attachments to make a net overhang so that they can't get over and out.

I am very, very happy that I went to the trouble of making the enclosure. The cats get time outside, which they like. And they can't go wandering to get into trouble, which gives me great peace of mind. There are a lot of hazards in the outside world.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

This Australian product seems to be a good idea to keep cats in their own garden, and intruders out, but I'm not aware of anything similar in the UK - until someone copies/develops the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLw9 ... 6dW90rsM48
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

This is a roller-type fencing system based in England:
http://www.katzecure.com/
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I've cat proofed my garden using the brackets and netting system and totally agree with Mary - the peace of mind I have knowing that Harry, Ava and Henry can't get out and onto the roads is fantastic. They have 24/7 access to the garden

I did the cat proofing myself and in hindsight should have used a stronger netting than the one I have and that's a job for this summer to replace most of it.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

We have cat fencing too and it's great. (The product you linked to has very mixed reviews on Amazon.)