STORM DORIS - stay safe!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

STORM DORIS - stay safe!

Post by Lilith »

Perhaps the forecasters nowadays are going a bit over the top by giving a spell of rough weather a name, and equally covering their backs after the 1987 Michael Fish blunder (hurricane, what hurricane?) but it seems there's going to be Weather for all of us in the UK tomorrow, so good luck everybody.

Here in Wakefield we're pretty sheltered (paws crossed) and I've just had my roof overhauled so my first thoughts of worst case scenarios are a power outage. I've got a gas cooker so I can put that on and the doors all have to be left open for the cats so hopefully, in this tiny terrace house it'll act as a radiator. And the cats can always come and snuggle up on the duck duvet or even get underneath. I have a royal python, but I also have a couple of stone hot water bottles, so one of these, well-wrapped up, will provide heating for Shahi the python if needed, and a hot water bottle could come in handy for a poorly cat too.

Also I can always stuff Shahi down my T shirt if he needs a warm-up lol. Happiness is a warm python! :lol:

Hoping nobody suffers from the storm and any other emergency tips, please post - good luck to us all!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: STORM DORIS - stay safe!

Post by alanc »

60-80 mph winds? I think I am going to have to ballast Tilly before she goes out tomorrow!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I’m not far from you Lilith (Barnsley, although I lived at Wakefield until I married). I heard about it but my phone just says a couple of hours of windy weather tomorrow on and off. Hopefully it won’t be too bad, my 3 ferals will be hiding away and Tasha will stay in, she wasn’t out much today as it’s been quite windy, there were more cat food boxes blowing down our street than in the rubbish van this morning!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Well we are still here - minus a Scot's pine and a fence panel! :shock:

Cats are getting stir crazy and squabbling, but don't seem to want to go out for some reason. :lol:

Now on OH's Kindle - mine is really pxxxxxg me off! :twisted:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

The presentcast from Wolverhampton is that Storm Doris is definitely picking up here. According to the met office the winds will peak about 2.00 this afternoon with speeds of up to 60 mph. The garden in battened down as much as possible with things tucked away in sheltered corners and the solar panels used to power the pond pump face down on the ground to stop them blowing over. A house about three doors down at the back of us has three Leylandii trees on the fence line, every time we get a storm I seem to end up watching them half expecting them to come down at any moment, the only good thing is that they seem to be leaning away from my house and the prevalent wind direction takes them away as well. I am hoping that that is a garden that needs reclamation work as well as that would mean that the trees would have to be taken down, I for one wouldn't be sorry to see them go.

The three trouble makers are all asleep on the bed being sensible. By this evening there will probably be at least two of them feeling bored and looking for mischief, hopefully the storm will have past and they can get out by then.

I don't need a forecast to tell me a storm like this is coming, yesterday I could feel the pre migraine building and this morning when I got up I knew I would almost be straight back to bed, it might have been blue sky and a light breeze at that point but my head was telling me the storm would hit before long, and it was right.

As far as the Michael Fish quote goes, it always annoys me a bit when that is brought up as it really is a bit of a misquote and wasn't as big a mistake as is often made out. I saw the whole thing one time and a viewer had contacted them about the hurricane that was happening in the States at the time and asking if the storm we were getting would be as bad, so what he was actually saying was that we would not be getting a hurricane, such as the one in the states, which was true, we just had a very bad storm. When they show the clip they normally miss off the section saying about the states and the hurricane there thereby removing the comparison and taking the quote out of context.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Well, not so bad here - but Wakefield centre IS sheltered, and none of us have to go out in it, so we're lucky. I believe Scotland is the worst off for snow, but it's an amber warning for wind here.

Blimey Alan, Tilly must be a hard cat if she wants to go out in this! :o :D

Hi Janey, didn't realise you were so close - I like Barnsley, used to go there quite a lot and it's got character to my mind - Wakefield centre is grey and bland (although not on Thursday, Friday Saturday nights when they bus them in :shock: ) Then the following mornings the streets are covered in what the late great Nicolas Freeling called 'Pavement Bolognaise' ... lovely!

Ohh Bobbys girl, very sorry to hear about the tree and fence panel - hope the worst has passed for you now. Reminds me of when I was married and lived outside Wakefield; you could see right over nearly to Huddersfield, great place, but we had 6' larch lap fencing and a wonky roof - every time the wind blew we knew it would get the fence or roof, or both, and it did. I'll never forget the time the bedroom ceiling developed a pregnant bulge; it was like something out of a horror movie; I put my jam pan on top of the wardrobe underneath it and the bulge developed a hole out of which water dripped, plinkety plonkety ... There were also bees in the roof, who occasionally swarmed down into the front room ... happy days!

Ruth I never saw that full clip of Michael Fish's forecast I confess - only the edited one, but SE England did take a bashing that night; there's a graphic description of the storm in Ruth Rendell's 'Crocodile Bird' and I sure wouldn't have liked to be there. Poor old Michael though, it's 30 years ago and in folk history he'll always be remembered as the man who refused to admit to the hurricane.

Hope all you guys, human, furry, smooth and feathery, are all safe :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Very windy here on the Kent coast (I'm 200 metres from the coast) The cats have all tried their luck but decided better of it.I just saw a blackbird clinging on for dear life in the large bay tree outside. No idea how it managed to hold on as it isn't very sheltered.

I retrieved some plastic sheeting that was flapping around between the bay tree and a patio bush.

I just heard on the news that a woman has died in a 'weather related incident' in Wolverhampton city centre.
Attachments
IMG_0183.JPG
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Lilith wrote:
Hi Janey, didn't realise you were so close - I like Barnsley, used to go there quite a lot and it's got character to my mind - Wakefield centre is grey and bland (although not on Thursday, Friday Saturday nights when they bus them in :shock: ) Then the following mornings the streets are covered in what the late great Nicolas Freeling called 'Pavement Bolognaise' ... lovely!
Yep, not far at at all Lilith. I can imagine what Wakey’s like after the weekend Bleurgh :mrgreen: I remember it well :lol: although it has changed a lot now.
It’s very windy here at the moment, started this morning but is building up, but I have seen it worse. It says windy until about 5pm so I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse! Tasha went out as usual about 8am, it took a few attempts, she was hoping I would leave the door open for her but I told her to think again!! when she finally did go out she was lower than a snakes belly :lol: she was in and out for a while but decided to come in and pester me for indoor football instead which involves me running up and down the house more than her :roll: . now she’s taken herself to bed as usual. Poor old Frosty feral has just made his way from his hut to the water dish (he has one nearer but will only drink out of this one! and he went straight back to his hut.
Keep safe everyone.
eta: it’s getting worse now!! My dad said this morning that Blackpool was supposed to get some of the worst winds on the west coast? I’ve had to shift our dustbins about a bit, if they keep moving I will tie them together! Doody, another feral is sat up top of the garden under a large tree next to the fence. He’s black and white and his white whiskers are full out bless him. I wish he’d get in one of the huts, there’s three together, Frosty’s in one but there’s 2 empty, daft cat would rather shelter under tree :(
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I just read about the incident in Wolverhampton city centre, it was right in the middle of the main shopping street, about 2 miles from where I live. It sound like a large piece of debris hit her on the head doing major injuries and she was pronounced dead at the scene. It is the tragedy of storms like this, you never know just where something might blow loose, while it's windy here, it certainly isn't as bad as some places have had it.

As for the Michael Fish incident, it was a very bad storm and he did underestimate it, but it wasn't hurricane strength, fortunately we don't get full hurricanes in the UK. I just feel that it is shame when someone is remembered for a misquote than for what they actually did for the rest of their career. At least weather forecasting has come a long way since then.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Tilly looked out of the window first thing this morning and decided against going out. About an hour later, she decided she had to. She was gone just long enough to visit a local vegetable patch before returning, going upstairs and back to bed! I am glad she has been indoors all day since, as several local houses have lost slates which are now in bits on the pavement. Fortunately, no people or cats around at the time they blew off.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Ruth B wrote:As for the Michael Fish incident, it was a very bad storm and he did underestimate it, but it wasn't hurricane strength, fortunately we don't get full hurricanes in the UK. I just feel that it is shame when someone is remembered for a misquote than for what they actually did for the rest of their career. At least weather forecasting has come a long way since then.
Really? What about the 'barbeque summer' or the 'warmer than average winter' (where everything froze for weeks on end) or 'the drier than usual winter' when Somerset got clobbered.

Over here we are use to the forecast being hopelessly WRONG! :roll:

BTW the tree fell beautifully. It must have bounced off the shed roof (with the mass of fine branches and needles acting like a cushion) and all the weight of the bough fell smack along the path in the wood - no damage done. :D The cats have already been out to inspect it and they approve.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

The problem with weather forecasting is that people want a forecast for months ahead when they can only really work it out for days ahead. The current 5 day forecast is about as accurate as the 24 hour one was 30 years ago. While no meteorologist I did enough as part of an environmental science degree to know how variable the weather systems are and how difficult they are to model. The other problem is that while the Met Office does the basic forecast any weather presenter can put their own spin on it emphasising what they think people want to hear which is why I tend to go to the Met Office site and get the information straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I agree with you, Ruth. Regarding Storm Doris, I have been looking at the Met Office forecasts for it over the previous 3 days. As far as the wind and timing went, they seem to have got it as near right as could be expected for West Oxfordshire. Rain wasn't quite as heavy as originally predicted.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yeah I look at the Met Office site but I find it vague - West Yorks is usually hidden behind the meteorologist's waving hand lol. I mean, they can't possibly know everything, can they? I find my own instinct on the day stands me in better stead. I agree that this forecast has been accurate though.

I'm glad the tree fell softly Bobby's girl - hope the shed isn't hurt. Falling tiles are scary, like broken glass ... at the other house, one stormy night, we lost a ridge tile ... which landed on the roof of the car. But at least not on anyone living.

VERY sorry to read of that poor woman in Wolverhampton.

Amazed that some cats insist on going out in bad weather - they've got to be tough!

Well, officially it's over now, or the worst is - again hope everyone's been ok :)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Tilly must be a hard cat if she wants to go out in this! :o :D
Lilith - Tilly has become much softer this last year - she is getting old - but she did have the reputation of being a "hard" cat. No local cats or dogs dared to mess with her! When a new cat from up the road thought it was going to get away with attacking Badger, Tilly clouted it round the earholes. Badger just stood there! Tilly's most notorious act was forcing the local Jack Russel to stay indoors whilst she lounged in its garden. As for the weather, she has a lot of hardy New England ancestors she wants to live up to. :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

As I was catching up with this thread and reading Ruth's post our 'local' BBc forecaster (Belfast) was telling us it was a cold, frosty but bright start to the day. It's mild, grey and drizzly here! I've lost count of the times our weather bears no resemblence to our local forecast.

If you watch the Beeb forecasts you'll see where I live is right on the edge of the map. Bearing in mind most of our weather systems come from the West, I have always thought it bonkers that they never show the West, but you can see what the weather is going to be like in Denmark, Holland and Norway.

If I want an accurate forecast I look at the Met Eireann site. Perhaps I should start my own service as we are as far West as you can get in the UK! :lol:

Bob took a lull in the storm to go out and access the situation, came home drenched! One soggy moggy. But as he made a bee-line for my lap and snuggled down he soon dried out, yeuch :roll:

I'd better go, Willow went out a little while back and now she's sitting on the cill staring in at me like this :shock: 'Let me in, human'.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I can see the council car park from my back garden. Around 5pm last night, the wind was still howling and I noticed a fire engine over the back in the council car park where we keep our car. I went to have a look, I have to go round the block. One the way, I saw a large fallen branch in the garden of the community hall. I walked round to see what the fire engine was doing and they had their ladder up at the back of the local Wetherspoons (quite high,as it is a former cinema) as I walked back, I heard a cat howling from a bush in the community hall garden. It was howling non-stop. I realised it was in a bush right by the path way. I had a closer look as I wanted to make sure it wasn't hurt. I realised it was a tortie that sometimes comes in the garden to scrounge food. She recognised me and she came out and started weaving round my ankles. I was satisfied she wasn't injured, so walked away after fussing her, but she started following me. I didn't want her to go up to the high street. I wondered if she had lost her bearings (about 200 metres from our garden) so I grabbed her and walked around the block. I carried her through the house and put her on the table with a bowl of food, so she knew where she was. Unfortunately her arch-enemy, Ingrid,appeared and went flying at her screaming -she dived off over the fence. There was nothing I could do, but it is her usual hangout. I'm certain she is owned. I can only guess that the wind was scaring her, or she had gone a bit out of her usual territory.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Oh poor tortie girl

Thankfully not too much damage this end.. I got home yesterday and the gas bbq had been blown over and a small metal ladder that was alongside the house had been given a bit of a flying lesson. Lost one ceramic candle holder that was on the outside table, but that seems it
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Mark - as I started reading your post about the fire engine and the cat I thought you were going to say that you had found the cat the fire brigade had come to 'rescue'. That would have been a good one, 'hey lads is this what you are looking for?' :lol: :lol:

Cats are not very altruistic when it comes to those less fortunate than themselves. You rescue a cat and your cat's response is 'oi, you, 'op-it. That's MY dad!' :roll:
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes, poor girl. She was back tonight on the scrounge, so no harm done. Glad she didn't have to be rescued from a roof! :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Well, still blustery and wet here today and I see the north-west/Pennines have a yellow warning of rain, but I expect Tilly and Bob and co are still braving the weather - I remember some soggy moggies of my own; whatever they were doing was far more important than a drop of rain, they said, but of course they enjoyed valet-service once they got home.

I'm glad the tortie was ok, Mark; she must have just been frightened, I reckon, especially with the fire brigade about. Naughty Ingrid - they ALWAYS interfere if you're trying to help a stranger cat - bad girl!

So hope everyone (especially our ferals and lost cats - may they all come back safely) weathered the storm and is still online - my commiserations Bobbys girl, been reading about your problems; know what you mean, I have to wait for the valves to warm up with my broadband these days ... however what I really really REALLY hate is the dreaded predictive spelling - 'Waiter, waiter, there's some sand in my desert!'

Arrgghhh grrrrrrr! :twisted: :x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Glad everyone survived the Weather, we did OK here too - a couple of roof tiles off and the garden is covered in bits of willow tree, but nothing worse, thankfully.

Daz, Paddington and Merrick did go out, but only briefly - for the necessities and drink of their preferred muddy puddle water. I was surprised Merrick went out, but it was exactly four minutes before he was screaming at the office window to come back in again, and when I opened the window for him he was in such a rush to get in that he slipped on the window sill with his wet, slippy paws, and then again on the desk, and nearly fell off both! He literally couldn't get in fast enough! :lol:

Mark, was that little tortie one of what used to be the 'tortie sisters'? I remember you posting about them?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

No Helen, the so-called owners of the tortie sisters moved with one of them (despite the cats not going in their house for years) and the other, was rehomed by CP (I looked after her in the house over the winter)

I am certain the tortie we see around now is owned. I normally only see her a few times a week, although more often in the summer. She is a good weight and in good shape, just a chancer I think! :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Mark, I remembered you were looking after one and had rehomed her, but I was a bit hazy about the other. Hence my question. :)

As you say, let's hope this one is just a chancer! :D