Twinks has her forever home

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Twinks has her forever home

Post by Crewella »

I posted about fostering Twinks (Twinkle), who is about 15 and had been taken to be PTS as her elderly owner had asthma issues and the hospital would not allow her to go home to a house with a cat in it. The vet found her to be in perfect health so didn't want her PTS, so called the rescue.

She's been living in our stairwell for the last few weeks, but seemed wary of the gang and unwilling to explore further and I wasn't sure if she'd be happy here as she'd been an only cat. This weekend, however, she's suddenly got her confidence and started to come down and explore a bit. So far I've only let her down when some of the rest are out, so she's not faced with five strangers all at once, but she's now met all of them individually with no problems, so I've agreed to take her on permanently.
CC Twinks stairs.jpg
CC Twinks stairs.jpg (74.62 KiB) Viewed 7072 times
I'll still keep taking the intoductions slowly to minimise general stress, but ater a chat with the rescue she is now officially part of the gang! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Twinks has her forever home

Post by Lilith »

Aww, how lovely, great news, particularly after the dreadful news re Max on 'Lost Cats'.

She looks very bright and cheeky to me - how dreadful to take her to be pts and good on that vet and good on you, congrats little Twinks, looks like life's starting again at 15 :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I know, poor Max. Such a beautiful cat, too. :(

I'm hoping this really will be a good thing for Twinks as, as does sometimes happen with elderly owners, I suspect she's not had the best of care lately. She was very, very scabby all round her back end and near the base of her tail, which I suspect is down to a flea allergy. I've not had a cat with this issue before, and I am a bit concerned as to how she'll do in a multi cat household where the lads are likely to bring all sorts in with them from their hunting trips, but we'll do our best. She's certainly a lot less scabby than she was, though I have seen a couple that look like fresh eruptions. Poor girl, they must be so uncomfortable, but she is, as you say, a bright, cheeky little cat and seems happy enough.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Twinks says "I'm batman." from the shelf ;)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Aww, bless her
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yay, good news! I hope she'll settle in very quickly. :D
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

what a lucky cat she is - and what a sweet face she has - Twinks suits her

I hope it will work out for you and her and the gang
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

What cheering news, though somehow I'm not surprised by this outcome!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Crewella nice to read about Twinks settling with you & your gang. Pretty sure you'll have her in top top shape in no time. The three puss-kateers are so pleased to hear the news about Twinks too. She's a cutie. Vivian
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Awww, she's definitely got herself a fab forever home xx Fusses to her and the rest of the gang
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Lucky girl. She will have a happy retirement with you :D - So nice that she doesn't have to move on again and is happy where she is. x
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Awww lovely news Helen :) do pass some fusses on to Twinks for me. She has a lovely face – I do love a B&W cat!

I don't know whether you were on Catchat back when I had Clay, but he had a flea allergy (actually, he was allergic to all sorts, poor boy could hardly eat anything without coming out scratching) and our vet at the time suggested 6-monthly Program injections to keep the fleas at bay. It might be worth asking your vet about that in case it's an option for Twinks, although Clay was an only cat so I am sure that helped. Poor boy had been infested with fleas before he was taken in by the charity I got him from, and when he arrived his whole body was covered in scabs – when you stroked him your hand went 'bump-bump-bump' over them :( But he never had any problems with fleas thereafter.

We also have some nice news, we have a new little lady in our home too. Hops was very obviously missing Pip, which didn't come as a surprise to me as he's always been a cat that likes company, both human and feline – so last month we visited Celia Hammond's Canning Town branch to find him a new friend. My other half asked if we could 'get a normal cat this time' (!) so we asked to meet a healthy, young cat that had nonetheless been overlooked. Why she was with them nearly 6 months is a mystery to me, as she's a very pretty tabby, and although shy is very affectionate when you get close enough to fuss her. She wanted out of her safe room after 24 hours when she heard Hops meowing for his tea, so we let them meet. They spent a couple of hours eyeing one another rather warily (with Hops looking as if he couldn't quite decide whether to exert his dominance or sniff her bum!) and then disappeared off upstairs together. The next morning I found them sleeping just inches apart on the spare bed <3 She has been just what he needed, and it's been lovely to see them doing so many things together, particularly because when I look back through my photos I realise how much time Hops and Pip used to spend together, before she got too old to tolerate being jumped on and started to distance herself. I'll see whether I can remember how to upload a photo...
Last edited by Camdengirl on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Here is our lovely Misty, and how I found her and Hops after their first night together.
Attachments
Misty.jpg
MistyHops.jpg
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Aww, how pretty - how old is she?
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

We think she is about 3 (Hops is 9ish but still quite playful). The lady who introduced her to us said she was brought in by her owners to the low-cost vet clinic with a prolapsed rectum and they just never came back for her :( I don't understand how people can do that, but apparently it's very common, and a big problem for the charity because of all the unpaid bills. She's a really sweet cat, but I fear will not be so when it comes to the small furry and feathered critters outside when she starts going out. She is very playful and already eyeing them up from the back door, as well as attacking things on the TV when we watch wildlife documentaries! I've given her some playtime with Da Bird and Da other attachments, but it's limited as she destroys them within a few minutes!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

So her age wasn't against her finding a home. At least her wait was worth it, she has a fantastic forever home. Good luck when she can go out
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

She's very pretty! :) I'm glad they are both getting on together.

How's Twinks Helen, has she settled in now?
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Thank you :)

I love the older and the special needs ones, but my other half wanted a young one (he mentioned kittens a few times!) I can understand why, because for well over a year I couldn't go anywhere for longer than about 12 hours at a time because Pip needed so much care and was on so many meds. But now we've moved we have more space, so once Misty is well and truly settled I am hoping to persuade him to add a third cat to the mix, hopefully an older/special needs one...
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

(Sorry Helen, didn't mean to hijack your thread!)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Camdengirl wrote:Thank you :)

I love the older and the special needs ones, but my other half wanted a young one (he mentioned kittens a few times!) I can understand why, because for well over a year I couldn't go anywhere for longer than about 12 hours at a time because Pip needed so much care and was on so many meds. But now we've moved we have more space, so once Misty is well and truly settled I am hoping to persuade him to add a third cat to the mix, hopefully an older/special needs one...
Good luck with getting a third cat