swollen hand after cat bite

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

swollen hand after cat bite

Post by nanny pamy »

Hi folks. Theo gets very exited when we get up in the mornings and does lots of friendly affectionate nips but this morning he latched on a bit harder on hubby and drew blood on his hand. It swelled up and was weeping for a couple of hours. Its stopped now but its still red and tight and a bit swollen. What do we do. :o :o
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: swollen hand after cat bite

Post by Janey »

Hi, well I’ve never had a bad bite touch wood so I’m not sure. But I know people who have had to have antibiotics for bad scratches and bites. I’m always very wary as I have a biter and scratcher in my house and she actually bit me the other night as I put my arm over to cuddle her. It straight away came up in a little red bump, I went and washed it and put some antiseptic on and checked it later and it was just a small bruise. If I was concerned though I would get it checked out, either go to a drop in centre (if they still do them, I’ve never actually been) or ring the outpatients at the hospital and ask them or the out of hours GP. Hopefully it’s not bad but if concerned best to get it checked.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I have to agree that getting it checked isn't a bad idea, but if you haven't a 24hr drop in and don't want to face Saturday night at A&E then a good soak in salt water is a good place to start. A couple of table spoons of salt in a bowl of warm water and then keep the hand in the water for several minutes. Another alternative, if anyone in the house has contact lenses the Hydrogen Peroxide cleaner is great for cleaning any type of wound although it does sting a bit. Worse case, if you think there is a build up of puss in the wound then your will have to break the scap and let the salt water or peroxide in to clean it out. If it is still swollen and red in the morning then i would definitely recommend seeing a professional.

Its always best to clean any scratch or bite as soon as possible in either a proper wound cleaner or in either salt water or peroxide depending on what you have available. I don't know if I've been lucky or if its just that I have been careful, but so far i haven't had any scratches or bites go bad.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd definitely get to a doctor as soon as possible,in case it requires anti biotics
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Thank you so much for the quick replies. It defiantly hasn't gone any worse. And no sign of puss or scabs. Just two puncture marks and swollen but well get it looked at tomorrow. We have a walk in centre by us. First time its happened, he just got very exited, (the cat, not the husband) :roll:
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

[quote=“Ruth B”] Hydrogen Peroxide cleaner is great for cleaning any type of wound although it does sting a bit. [/quote]

Yep thats what I used the other night, then a bit of Germoline.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Nanny one of the vet nursers was bitten a couple of weeks ago ended up with cellulitis in the hand & dr put her on abs & a week off work. I'd pop in to dr just to get checked. Think about cat bites & abscesses. Keep us posted. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Ouch! If your husband does have to take AB's make sure he also takes probiotics. Yeo Valley is good stuff. Those damn AB's kill everything! ;)
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

It happened to me several times, bites from my cats or feral cats. My hand got swollen, tight, very warm and reddish, not to mention the pain that at times could be unbearable.
I never used any medication on me because my very personal opinion is that my body has to fight on its own. Generally after 5-7 days everything is alright.
So depending on how he feels and what he thinks about it, he can have some antibiotic or just nothing.
Whatever he chooses to do, best of luck! ;)