Number 8 arrives - Another unneutered Tom...

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Number 8 arrives - Another unneutered Tom...

Post by Jacks »

Some of you will remember me posting intermittently and last announcing the decision to adopt the unneutered black Tom who had turned up in our garden. He i now my beloved Bobby Bob, who is a scatty little chunky monkey who is addicted to treats and trying to catch flies. I kept him in for 10 months as he was scared of his own shadow and even the sound of the patio door being opened. Now he is still skitty but confident in his home and garden. At Christmas our neighbours bought a puppy and got rid of their cat's litter tray and decided he no longer needed to stay in the house at night (in case he hurt the puppy). It was -6 outside, so he moved in with us. He's our long term lodger. So we were at 4 girls and 3 boys and spraying matches from the little lads to establish supremacy. Thank goodness for Dettol wipes!!! I swore that was it - it took nearly a year for Bobby to stop being terrified of the resident male and our dominant female. In fact the lodger arriving (whom he could torment occasionally) has given him more courage. Cat relationships are so complex.

Now, for May Day, another unneutered Tom has turned up in the garden, no doubt attracted by the smell of cat... Our big wild male is terrified of him, the girls are sniffing and anxious, as they are all neutered of course. He's dirty, dishevelled, bit of one ear missing, the other bleeding, face covered in scratched, eyes red and sore and full of fleas (Advocate has been administrated) and very scared of us, but hungry. After a week I have won his trust and he's faithfully camped out on our back door mat waiting for grub and fusses. I've booked him for neutering next week on a C4, but then what do I do with him? I've named him Charlie and he responds to his name - a lovely white cat with pale grey head tail and markings... and so affectionate now. He's on the waiting list for rescue but this is a bad time for Toms... how can I turn him back outside? Dilemma. Any thoughts, those of you with multicat homes... Is it any easier with number 8????
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Number 8 arrives - Another unneutered Tom...

Post by bobbys girl »

How long is a piece of string? :lol: It all depends on the cats themselves, they'll let you know!

With dear old Tommy around as peacemaker we could have had a house full (6 at one time) But since his passing, Bob delights in winding-up the girls and Grace's bullying knows no bounds.

Added to that, we too have a new kid on the block. A black tom (definitely a tom!!!!) With the cutest white locket and white 'arm pits' :? He must belong to someone as he is very friendly and appears to have had his neck shaved recently. Bob HATES him and he has staring matches with Purdy and Grace. What to do??

Personally, if you are happy with him to stay, I'd leave the final decision to the rest of the gang. I wouldn't expect 100% agreement on it. But you should have a good idea if he will fit in.

Very best wishes. x
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Ah.. I think it must be the time of the year to have new kids on the block! I hope you can sort out the conundrum of your lovely black visitor. Our big male, Socksie, is terrified of the newcomer having had a run in with him on his way home at night, and won't go outside!! Bobby is the brave one, fronting up to the lad. Fortunately he doesn't seem overtly aggressive so we shall see. This morning he had a good brush, which he purred for, and got picked up a few times with no more complaint than a wiggle. Definitely a domestic cat. Socksie was wild when we found him and a terrible bully, stalking and attacking everything on four legs, but is actually a coward in nature, poor old boy. He's gone back up to our bed after peering into the kitchen to see if Charlie was outside (which he was).

We shall see!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Our visitor turned up again in the afternoon. Purdy was on the window ledge peering at something in the garden. It was him. I went out and he ran to me chiruping - he is a chatty little cat. I don't want to start giving him a name if he is someone elses cat, but I have started refering to him as Joel, partly because he sounds like he is saying jeowowll and partly because I remember 'the song of Joel' from my A'level days. :lol: I know, there's no hope for me! :roll:
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Bobby is chatty too - and he's black, coincidentally. Sophie meows when she wants things, but for Bobby it's just 'talking' and it's a 'yip, yip, yip-yippy yip-yip' type of talk, looking directly at you, He will come up to the patio doors and when I open it, tells me something - then goes off again. He's so funny :lol: :lol: :lol: Joel sounds an appropriate name for your chatterer!!

Well, the rescue have a place for Charlie, but I don't know what to do. So I've caught him (it wasn't difficult, as he now doesn't mind my picking him up) and he's in the bonding room - with vet visit and possible neutering booked for tomorrow morning. If he's chipped the rescue say they'll neuter him before he goes home - if he's not I'm going to take him on a trial basis. I'm going to get him chipped as well.

Once in the little room he's snoozing on the bed and likes his paw held. I think he's a good bit older than most of mine, and he's had a hard life. I hope he's okay and I can make a go of it. I think he's a gentle boy. I don't know why Charlie for my boy, but it just came to me and he seems to like me singing 'Charlie Boy' to him, to the tune of 'Georgie girl'. No hope for me either, I fear... :P :P
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

it's particularly rewarding giving a home to an older cat who has had a hard life, and they often turn out particularly loving in return

and of course his chances of finding a home as good as yours via rescue are not good if he's black and no longer young
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd be surprised if he was chipped - in nearly 13 years of rescue, I've only come across one unneutered, chipped cat, and he was a pedigree, so probably a stud cat. I'm shocked a rescue would say they would neuter before returning if he was chipped, legally they can't do anything, not even a spot on without permission.

I hope you can make a go of it, as Kay says, an older, black cat isn't easy to home
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Well, he wasn't chipped... but he will be. I'm going to keep him on trial - but my trials can last a long time... :lol:

Charlie is no more than 4 years old but has been well beaten up in his time. He's otherwise in good shape, but doesn't know how to use a litter box. He's a gentle, loving lad - nothing like the highly strung Bobby... I hope it works out, as I love him already.

This is Charlie - he's actually a gorgeous white and grey - very unusual - short haired with a grey tail and gray back markings... and typical Tom cheeks!
Attachments
rsz_charlie.jpg
rsz_charlie.jpg (11.06 KiB) Viewed 6281 times
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

oops - I don't know where I got the black and older from - obviously it's me that's showing my age :oops:

I do love the look of him though - he looks a bit of a bruiser so is sure to turn out top of the sops
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, he does have, what my OH calls, the look of Clint Eastwood about him - 'go ahead cat, make my day!' :lol: :lol: He's lovely.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, he's gorgeous - I think he's here to stay by the sound. Don't get me wrong, I love all my cats, but I do have a soft spot for the feral tom who decides to move in; great characters and so affectionate. I miss my boys.

When he's neutered those wide cheeks will probably disappear; I'm assuming they're caused by testosterone? But he'll still be a handsome chap :D
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Oh he’s like my gorgeous Frosty feral! or semi-feral - I can stroke him.
fr_P.jpg
fr_P.jpg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
Frosty was the first of the ferals I TNR here. He’s with Perdy, the last of the ferals I TNR, the daughter (he’s the dad the most of the others I think!) Frosty’s 17 and Perdy 11.They live in my garden with Perdy’s brother Dennis, aka Doody :D

Best of luck for Charlie x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed for the trial
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

and fingers crossed from me as well... Charlie's a stunner!

Janey, I love your Frosty as well - what a face!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Oooh yes, he's really like Frosty! What gorgeous semi-ferals you have, Janey! Little Charlie is looking better already tonight after being indoors for 24 hours, despite his op. He's looking brighter, his eyes are wider and his scratches are healing up. No more fighting for my little man, I hope.
he looks a bit of a bruiser so is sure to turn out top of the sops
. Yes - he's definitely got a bruiser's face but he's already the soppiest boy with his loving head bumps on my face and massive purring. I haven't heard him hiss once, and there were no claws out, even when he was very scared at the vets. I think you might be right :lol: That 'go ahead, make my day' look definitely worked on poor old Socksie though!
Fingers crossed for the trial
Lol, took a year for Bobby to really integrate with the others - small steps, positive reinforcement... I said I'd never have another, but Charlie is definitely my darling with all the massive loving head butts in the face I've had tonight when I brought him some dinner... :D
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Trial :lol: I think will be a success. He does look a handsome boy. Keep us posted on progress. I was to foster another little blue/white kitten - a mini me of TC - the foster failed - Bentley's staying & Harper thinks it's great another play mate to teach how to pull dried flower arrangements out of a vase & open bathroom cupboards - loo paper!!! :o Vivian
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

meriad wrote:and fingers crossed from me as well... Charlie's a stunner!

Janey, I love your Frosty as well - what a face!
Thanks meriad, I love him loads, well all of them actually, some have passed now, and there’s a couple live at Sylvia’s a few doors up.
Jacks wrote:Oooh yes, he's really like Frosty! What gorgeous semi-ferals you have, Janey! Little Charlie is looking better already tonight after being indoors for 24 hours, despite his op. He's looking brighter, his eyes are wider and his scratches are healing up. No more fighting for my little man, I hope.
he looks a bit of a bruiser so is sure to turn out top of the sops
. Yes - he's definitely got a bruiser's face but he's already the soppiest boy with his loving head bumps on my face and massive purring. I haven't heard him hiss once, and there were no claws out, even when he was very scared at the vets. I think you might be right :lol: That 'go ahead, make my day' look definitely worked on poor old Socksie though!
Thanks Jacks. If Charlie turns out to be like Frosty, he will be a big, gorgeous laid back chunky chappie :) I think it must be a grey and white trait.
Frosty is the only one that ignores my Tasha when she goes out, as the little devil will chase poor Perdy. He has a lovely nature.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

UPDATE ON CHARLIE

Well a week since his "Op" and Charlie is such a lovely lad. As you'll see from the pictures his face is healing up nicely and the wound on the back of his ear can't been really seen now. His poor little nose has been really beaten up though :cry:

Charlie's biggest challenge was getting dreadful diarrhoea. I think a combination of factors - he'd had flea and worming treatment already so it wasn't that - but he was pigging his food and I was silly enough to give him lots of different treats to try - and I think that and a lack of good gut bacteria caused an overload to his system, especially as he was weeing but had only managed a small wet deposit in the course of three days... Now it was literally dripping out of his poor little bottom and he was VERY sorry for himself, hiding on a chair seat under the desk in the little room. We considered the emergency vet (it was Sunday) but by Monday he was back to his normal self and managing to get to the litter box, although it was still running out of him. He's now been (on advice) on plain chicken (complete - Thrive), chicken & pumpkin and chicken & brown rice - in small portions with extra water. Fortunately he's been getting enough fluids with that and a water fountain, and has been peeing well. His poops were orangey and very soft with partially undigested chicken, which made me think he's not got the right gut flora. So today started on Probiotics on the recommendation of the vet nurse and we've had a definite improvement with a buried 'blob' but also a small brown well-formed motion. Yippee! The trouble with taking a cat off the streets is that you don't know what they were doing before they came to you. He's been the bravest and loveliest boy. He loves a good brush and lovingly rubs your face with his head.

Today we let him come out of the bonding room a couple of times. Queen Sophie came up to look and hissed at him from about 2ft away and he just stood peacefully and looked at her. She went and sat a few feet away and watched him as he had a little sniff around. He's the first cat who hasn't made a bolt to hide under our bed when they come out of the bonding room. He had no interest in hiding at all. A little curious, and then sat in a relaxed sort of laid-back way in a doorway. So I think he may be a really chilled guy, which would be amazing. Bobby Bob (my irrepressible tigger-like idiot who occasionally mistakes a cushion for a litter box) went into Charlie's room and had a little chat to him... Bobby chats away to me and Jessie - "yap, yapp YAP YAP, Yap... Yap yap... Yappa yap yap..." - He looks you directly in the face to do this, and is so serious, little head slightly on one side. He'll come to the back door, chat to me a bit, I tell him I love him forever, and then he wanders back off to play for a while. Extraordinary. So there he was talking to Charlie! Charlie listened patiently. Goodness knows what he was saying. Then Jessie came upstairs and also chatted to him, "chit chit chiiiitt chit chit" - her 'birdy noises' (the same noise she makes when she looks at birds - when she first did it at Socksie he was incredulous) but in a more defensive way, ending with a little snarly 'yip'. Charlie stood and looked at her but I picked him up and took him back to his room and she took off back downstairs. So for a first introduction I'd say not bad!!

We're going to be away overnight on Saturday and our cat sitter will be looking after the family so we're keeping him primarily in the little room. I also want to make sure his tum is okay because once he mixes there's no way of monitoring him with 7 others in and out, and of course if it doesn't clear up we'll have to have bloods done to see what the problem is. So for the moment I've been trying to treat things naturally. The important thing was that he was lively and not getting dehydrated. He's very vocal for his food.

So here's my little darling, fine figure of a boy ;) Unbelieveable amount of hair coming off his when he's brushed... :roll:
Attachments
rsz_2017-05-11_fine_figgy_2.jpg
rsz_2017-05-11_fine_figgy_2.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 6186 times
rsz_2017-05-11_fine_figgy_1.jpg
rsz_2017-05-11_fine_figgy_1.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 6186 times
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

All good news Jacks! Glad he is settling in well. :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, what a lovely lad! :D

Boiled white rice is a very good diarrohea remedy - if the cat will eat it of course - perhaps more palatable with a 'sauce' of cooked chicken liquidised with a little of the stock.

All the very best with him :)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

He’s lovely! and sounds to have the same temperament to our Frosty, if he has he will be fine. Hope his tummy settles soon.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Aww, bless him. I use natural yoghurt for upset tums - you've just reminded me to get some for Lucy.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

UPDATE ** The probiotics have done wonders - alongside little and often - and Charlie is looking much better and all his deposits are normal. It's taken a couple of weeks, mind. Here he is on a little outing, looking for some food. I hope you can see the video:

https://www.facebook.com/worldaccording ... 074427485/

Sophie is our Queen and my avatar girl. She's not too pleased with him - they had a little barny whilst I was out and he managed to split her tongue with a claw - thankfully right on the side - but it got infected and she was a poorly girl for a few days. Healing up nicely now but short supervised visits only at the moment until Charlie's hormones die down properly. He was being far too assertive with the boys. However he's an adorable loving cat with his humans and is ALWAYS after more food! X
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey that's great and congrats - I couldn't see the video as I'm not on facebook but I got a glimpse of him before the popup telling me to join or sign on blocked my view and he's looking very well. Bad lad for fighting though!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Jacks just watched the video & liked the page. He looks well settled. Fusses to your eight fur babes. Vivian