Sick cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Sick cat

Post by Lallum »

I'm upset.

Yesterday the cats went out as usual in the morning. I left the front door open then popped out to buy a paper. My son was in. At cat lunch time , 2 of them came in. Not unusual. After an hour I went looking for Lola. I eventually found her in her night bed but something seemed wrong. Her right leg seemed at an odd angle. I picked her up and took her to the kitchen for lunch. I then realised she wasn't walking on the right front leg. She didn't eat. I picked her up to take her back upstairs and discovered blood on her fur. I took her to the emergency vet and they said she had been bitten by a dog. There was a gaping hole in her armpit and a number of puncture wounds down her right side. They operated immediately and, on removing her fur, discovered she was very badly bruised. There are no broken bones. The holes are all stitched and she came home. Last night she slept in the cat cage to stop the others getting involved. Today she has slowly gone down hill. She isn't eating. She isn't drinking. She is seeking out dark places under beds. She has also slept almost continually. She did eat a little at tea time but was very sick afterwards. I gave her some Metcam but I think that also must have come back. She's shallow breathing and smells odd. She's not purring or grooming herself. She's just lying there.

She's due back at the vets on Wednesday but I think I'm going take her tomorrow. I think the poor little thing is traumatised and I'm beside myself. How she managed to get back in the house yesterday, I don't know. I'm not sure what to do. I'm so afraid she's not going to make it overnight.

Is it normal for a cat to be traumatised like this? The vet didn't think the injuries were life threatening but I'm starting wonder if something was missed.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Sick cat

Post by Kay »

it certainly sounds as if she has some internal injury the vet has missed - I would treat it as an emergency

fingers crossed she will be OK
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Poor little girl, I would certainly advise bringing her appointment forward if you can or at the very least phone the vets and have a chat about her.

It could be internal injuries, but it could also just be a case of shock and pain, particularly if the Metacam isn't staying down. It could also be the after effect of the anesthetic used in the operation. In either case letting her stay somewhere dark and quiet is probably for the good.

Hopefully she will be feeling better soon.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

I would agree that at the very least you need to ring the vet to see if an earlier appointment is necessary. Hope the little one soon improves. Please let us know how you get on.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Hope you have managed to speak to your vet, and have been able to bring the appointment forward, it doesn't sound normal behaviour.
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lallum »

Thank you all.

Lola wasn't right. I spoke to the vet and they said give it time. They were right. Although she was sleepy and miserable and looking to hide, she brightened up this morning. She hadn't eaten anything (or kept it down) since Sunday but today she has been ok. She saw the vet today and her temperature is normal. There's some swelling around the large wound in her armpit but nothing too much. The stitches are all holding and she's not trying to get them out.

So more meds and another wound check next Wednesday. The vet who saw her today said she's very unlucky to have such awful injuries and it was a large dog. He was taken aback with the scale of the bites. Poor love. She's doing good.

God bless cat insurance!