Is it time?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Is it time?

Post by pricey42 »

Hello,

I really need some advice. My cat was diagnosed with kidney failure in December and has been going along nicely up until 2 weeks ago. He now just sits in the garden and doesn't come in unless he runs up stairs to sit in the bath or I get him and put him on my lap. He doesn't come to me when I call him and seems a bit dreamy.

I took him to the vets on Monday as I saw a sore in his mouth and the vet gave him anti biotics but said if he doesn't improve to have him put to sleep.

He is eating as much as is normal for him but his behaviour is totally different.

My question is how do you know when it's time? I'm really struggling to decide and I'm in a mess.

Any advise would be appreciated x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Is it time?

Post by bobbys girl »

Folks will tell you better a day too soon than a day too late, which is very true. But with my experience with my darling Tommy it was really obvious when he had had enough.

He had good and bad days. Sometimes he did seem very vague and weary. But then he would surprise everyone by playing (there's not much wrong with a cat who plays) or wolfing down a treat (roast chicken)

Tommy went down quite quickly, a matter of two days. Christmas Day 2015 he was fine and had a little turkey with the rest of the gang. But by the 27th he was visibly failing. It was a Sunday and we had decided to take him to the vets the next day. But as it happened fate had other ideas and he was killed on the road. We think it was his idea to leave home.

I really hope you have more time with your boy. If he is eating OK and still has the energy to run upstairs, then there is still some hope.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I've never had one with kidney failure but I have lost them to a range of other conditions and in every case it was obvious that the end had come. The light just went from them and they lost interest in life in general.

If he is just sat outside enjoying the sunshine then it could be he is just enjoying the heat and good weather, if he is sat out when it is raining and not seeming to notice then something is wrong (unless he is one of those cats that like the rain, I've known a couple). If he is still running around a bit, eating, drinking etc all normally then I wouldn't worry too much. The other odd thing i can mention is his smell, one of my cats had some kidney problems which fortunately cleared up, but what I noticed first as being wrong was he smelt wrong, blood tests proved what the problem was. It seemed daft telling the vet that, but I've heard since, and it does make sense, that when the kidneys aren't working right then the body does develop a distinctive odour.

If the situations isn't clear then I would normally say if the good days outweigh the bad then it isn't necessarily time, when the bad days start to mount up then it is time to consider the final option.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

What Ruth said about the smell is true. It reminded me about a visit we made to Chester Zoo some years back. Everyone had been surprised by the birth of a baby elephant. It was SO sweet. My mum, a nurse, said something doesn't smell right. We said 'mum it's the ELEPHANT house , it's one BIG smell!'
She was right, the little elephant died a few days later - kidney problems. :cry:
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

Thank you for your replies.

This morning I've gone down to a mess as he's had a bad tummy :cry: and now he's back sat in the garden. My partner says he looks terrible and I sort of agree but then see a glimmer of the Murray I know again. What makes it worse is that I'm going away next week so he'll be without me. I've read about the smell when the kidneys are failing but he smells fine! I think I'll see how he goes over the weekend x
TheCatsMum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by TheCatsMum »

It's not an easy decision to make. As said before, it's better to let him go a day early than leave it.

My boy had CKD, on the Tuesday his blood levels were through the roof, however, I brought him home. The next day he enjoyed his food and trips out to the garden. On Thursday he eat slightly less, still went out in the garden (he always loved the outdoors, would happily sit out in the snow and rain) but I just felt like he was going through the motions, he didn't seem to enjoy what he was doing, so I made the decision that night. I woke up to find he'd still gone outside, he came in, was sick and went off to bed. On waking him to take him to the vet, he was licking his mouth a lot and continued which was a sign he wasn't right - I'm glad I already had the appointment as I wouldn't have wanted him left like that longer. He did rallythe night before, just like his old demanding self, but I still knew it was the right time even when he was looking lovingly into my eyes at the vet and meowed at me.

A couple of weeks before he enjoyed our company, but was wanting a quiet spot just to sleep. Regarding smell, he always smelt like something new and that never changed, so it doesn't always apply.

It's so hard making that decision, but I found once I had I felt better. If you don't feel like he's got long and will be away next week, do you particularly want to be with him in his last hours? That's just one thing to think about.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I have made this awful decision and I could just tell Hector had had enough, there was no fight left in him and he was just hiding away. Kidney failure is a real roller coaster, fine one day and seemingly at deaths door the next. I also have a cat with PKD and he's now in renal failure, we're not at the same stage but have had rough patches where I thought the end was near but he's rallied again. I'm just trusting my instinct that I'll know when the time has come.
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

So sorry you've had to go through it too. Murray is the same. One minute I see my old Murray and the next he's hiding. He's very skinny and acts as though he's senile but he's been like that for a few months now. He looks bright though and runs about from room to room (that's an example of the weird behaviour!). In all honesty I feel like it's nearly his time but not quite just yet. I love him so much :cry:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

It is so hard isn't it? Thinking of you. x
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

I've had my beautiful boy put to sleep. Today I found him in a neighbour's garden and when I bought him home he just sat in front of the water fountain with his head basically in it. I made the decision as he looked so sad and as its only something that will progressively get worse I couldn't let him go on. I'm absolutely devastated and feel overcome with the void he has left. I'll never have another cat like him. Thank you for your advice xxx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

I'm so very sorry to hear x
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

It's the hardest thing a pet owner can do, but well done for taking the action that was best for your cat.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Pricey condolences from me. It's a hard time but there's no more suffering. Post your feelings whenever as you'll receive heaps of empathy & support. Take care of yourself. And while you never replace that special one sometimes the universe has other ideas but only when it thinks the time's right. RIP fur babe & enjoy the Rainbow Bridge. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry, RIP Murray, Tommy will meet you at the Bridge.

Sue xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but you have stopped his suffering, and taken it on yourself. RIP little one
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

RIP sweet Murray x
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

Thank you everyone for your lovely replies. Such a lovely forum xxxxx
TheCatsMum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by TheCatsMum »

It's not easy, but you know you made the right decision for him. In time, you'll remember all the fond memories you have. rip Murray