Older cat cries all the time.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
ButterflyThursday
New Cat Chatter

Older cat cries all the time.

Post by ButterflyThursday »

I'd be so, so grateful for some advice!
We adopted a cat, just over 2 weeks ago, who is between 10 and 12 years old (they think). We adore her, and she generally settled quite quickly. However, she yeowls loudly when we're not around. She's deaf, so sometimes it's very loud with intent to wake us up, other times the meows are quieter and shorter. All she wants is for us to sit with her and she goes back to sleep, but it's getting too much for me at night. More than half the time, we leave her, as we know she is actually fine (we filmed her overnight to see what she does) but lately she's been so demanding again.
I've tried to coax her to our room so we're close by but she just runs back downstairs again. We're on the top floor of 4 storeys and it's the only level she won't entertain. She also has toys, hiding places, treats left out, but she doesn't really interact with her environment. For example, she won't smell or bat anything. She just watches our hands all the time (she's highly affectionate) and just stares into space when we're not about.
I'm so tired and at my wits end a little! I'd really appreciate any advice!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Older cat cries all the time.

Post by greenkitty »

Has she been checked out by a vet as I think some health conditions can cause howling.. Have you tried putting a jumper or something that smells of you where she likes to sleep, perhaps if she has your scent it might keep her content at night. I have a deaf cat and he can be very loud too, he also seems to get "lost" sometimes (I live in a 2 bed house!) and will call out for reassurance, when he sees me or one of the other cats he'll quieten down again.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome - yes, I agree with Greenkitty, a vet check would be a good idea.

You have my sympathies as I have two of them at it; Emily, my avatar cat, is now 16 and her howling is definitely dementia; she wakes up, has a quick howl, and that's it - but if she sees me doing anything, bit of DIY, peeling onions, anything, she comes and roars at me. Take notice of the Emily!

Mouse, 15, went to the vet this morning because she has what might be hyperthyroid symptoms - increased weight loss and an obsession with food. A snack late at night, and then from 4.30 onwards Madam's screaming for 'breakfast' ... groan. I can now open a tin of catfood in my sleep, I swear ... A friend said that sometimes cats with dementia can forget they've eaten, though, and continually yell for food. The blood tests will show the truth.

However, your girl's a lot younger and deaf too - it could simply be her deafness; they do have what has been described as an 'early howling system' and, like Emily, if you know she's in no distress, it could be possible to get used to this - I know I have with Emily. Or could it simply be that she's commenting on the newness of everything and also, once she's got used to the new home, she might start exploring further and come to sleep with you, and might not need to announce herself quite so often. I do hope so.

All the best - please let us know how you go on :)
PeanutandFriendsJill
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutandFriendsJill »

I wonder if she stud calling. If ex ferel, May have been spayed late in life. She may have had kittens... May not be health reasons....
ButterflyThursday
New Cat Chatter

Post by ButterflyThursday »

Thanks all.
She had a clean bill of health but we are still suspicious so will visit the vet again. She has started exploring more this week but it''s almost worse as she now yeowls closer to our room! :')
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Aww bad lass. I hope she finds your bed soon - that might shut her up. All the very best and please keep us posted :)