Meowing at night keeping family awake! Help!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
LilysMom
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Meowing at night keeping family awake! Help!

Post by LilysMom »

My cat, Lily sleeps on my pillow snuggled next to me every night. She is very vocal and likes to roam at night. Her loud meowing is upsetting my husband since it's hard for him to sleep through the noise. We tried putting her outside of the bedroom at night but she opens the bedroom door and if we lock it, she scratches and tries to open the door all night long to be with me. It breaks my heart. Now my husband wants to lock her in the tiny guest bathroom at night. I understand his frustration but I think locking her in the bathroom every night will not be good for her either. She is a year old. Really need advice!
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Meowing at night keeping family awake! Help!

Post by Lallum »

You may not like my reply.

We have had this for years with one of my cats. He has destroyed carpets. It got worse when we took in another cat. They both do this. The only answer we have found is an animal crate. I leave them out until they start to talk to me then they go into the crate where they have a bed and cat litter. The vet thought that after a couple of weeks they would learn not to wake me. That hasn't happened. However I'm in London at the moment cat sitting for a friend. My children tell me that every time I go away, the cats are fine without me and sleep unprompted in the crates. They don't wake the kids who sleep with their doors open. I think the cats just love me and want to tell me stories. When I go home on Saturday, it will start all over again!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Meowing at night keeping family awake! Help!

Post by Kay »

if you have a guest bathroom, does that mean you have a guest bedroom she could spend the night in? I see nothing wrong in putting her in a separate room for the night if she has everything she needs, and as she gets older she will probably be less needy

I had to shut my two cats out of the bedroom when I switched from a double to a single bed, and they stopped making a fuss about it after a few days, even though they had shared my bed for many years - I think the secret was setting them up with comfy beds around the wood stove - if there is one thing cats love more than their owners its warmth