Very poorly cat - heart slowly breaking

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
sunnyme_123
Frequent Cat Chatter

Very poorly cat - heart slowly breaking

Post by sunnyme_123 »

I went to the vet on Wednesday with my 11 year old moggy, Twiggy. She had diarrhoea and was caught short away from the litter tray. Her anal glands were swollen and she had a temperature, so the vet gave her some antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory injection.
We went back the next day, Thursday, same vet, and I told her there was no improvement, in fact the opposite, Twiggy was becoming very subdued although her temperature was back to normal. The vet gave us tablet form antibiotics and told us to go back on Monday.
On Saturday Twiggy was shivering and sneezing, so back we went, a different vet this time. She had a raging temperature and she's losing weight, and still having diarrhoea. This vet told us to stop the oral antibiotics and gave Twiggy a long-acting antibiotic injection and said to take her back on Monday if there's no improvement, and blood tests will be the next step. Today she's just worse, she basically has cat flu on top of whatever else is going on and barely eating anything. I am worried sick and I feel I'm losing her.

I don't really know why I am writing this, just because I know you'll be able to understand how terrified and hopeless I feel... x
7cats
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Very poorly cat - heart slowly breaking

Post by 7cats »

Oh gosh sunnyme_123, (((hugs))) have a few hugs from me. It's awful when our babies are so ill and even worse on a weekend when you're been told to wait and see.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

How worrying for you! I am surprised the vet is so slow in doing anything - just piling on the AB's. I hope you get some answers and, more importantly, some help very soon.

In the meantime, have you tried giving her something like Royal Canin Recovery to build her up?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Poor Twiggy and poor you, it's not only heartbreaking but so frustrating when there doesn't seem to be anything we can do to help them. Sometimes writing things down can help us understand what is happening and while I'm not sure we can give a lot of advice, we can give hugs and sympathy.

My only advice is fairly obvious, keep her warm and quiet and if possible try and get some fluids into her if she isn't wanting to drink herself. If she is having constant diarrhea she will be losing fluids, I'm a bit surprised the vet didn't want to keep her in and have her on a drip if the infection is a bad as it sounds.

Fingers crossed she can fight it off.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Aww, fingers crossed the vet can give you some answers tomorrow
sunnyme_123
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by sunnyme_123 »

Thank you everyone for your hugs and kind words.
Twiggy is still very poorly. I have seen her drinking, but she's only taking food by hand, not eating from a bowl any more, but I keep tempting her all the time and she hasn't done too badly actually. I may just be wishing, but she perhaps seems a tad brighter this afternoon. I work from home, so at least I don't have to worry about leaving her for any length of time. I will do anything in my power to try and help her fight through this. xxx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there, glad to hear she sounded a bit more lively yesterday, hope she's still improving today. They can be up and down, these golden oldies, do hope she's not going to leave you yet, all the very best nd fusses to Twiggy x