Cat returning to old house- please help!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bexfox86
New Cat Chatter

Cat returning to old house- please help!

Post by Bexfox86 »

I've had my cat Basil for 5 years. He was initially one of 2 cats but sadly my other cat passed away of a sudden illness a year ago. Basil is my baby, he's always been a very clingy cat, extremely affectionate and although he goes outside he always comes running and meowing to the sound of me calling his name.
A month ago I moved back home to my parents due to money issues. They live approx 20 houses up the street from my old house. They have 3 other cats and an elderly dog. I initially kept Basil in for 2 weeks and very slowly introduced him to the other cats (my mum and dad were away on holiday with the dog for the first two weeks of us being there). The introductions seemed to go well and he seemed very content here but was desperate to go outside. After two weeks the dog came home and again introductions went really well and he didn't seem bothered by her. Due to there being 3 other cats and him unhappily being shut in for 2 weeks I began to let Basil out. At first he was fine, coming in when called etc. Then he started going missing and I would find him in our old garden down the street. The first few times he came running to me as soon as he heard my voice and I was able to easily take him home, where again he would settle happily- often over night but he would then leave again and low and behold I'd find him at the old house and bring him back. Except now he behaves like he doesn't know me when he's down there, either sitting on a neighbours shed ignoring me or sometimes he's even asleep up there and totally blanks me. Or if he's in the garden when I arrive he goes off into the bushes and refuses to come to me, I can sometime bribe him with food once he's been out a while and is starving.
I don't know what to do, he's being really stubborn, the longest he's been down there is 24 hours. It's breaking
My heart and I'm sick with worry when he's gone, especially if I go to work and have to leave him out. Is my only option to keep going to get him (often being ignored by him for hours and it taking multiple trips) or will he eventually get hungry and make his own way back (my parents say I need to leave him and if he can make his way down there he'll make his way back). I know he's having to make a massive transition to his new home, especially with it being a multi pet household but him ignoring me is so out of character and once I bring him back he's his normal self again. My family is getting sick of me constantly fretting and crying over this but like I said he's my baby (my mum says I need to realise he's a cat and not my defenceless child). I can't bare to think of him out in the rain, hungry and hoping I'll return to the old house. I can't keep him in any longer due to the other cats and him basically breaking his way out of the locked cat flap. He is neutered, micro chipped and wears a collar. Any advice appreciated.
7cats
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Cat returning to old house- please help!

Post by 7cats »

What are the people like that live in your old house ? or maybe your old neighbours ?
Has Basil got shelter down there ? Would the people be prepared to leave water, biscuits and food out for him if you supply the bowls and food etc ?

It sounds like he's finding the hustle and bustle of the new house maybe just a bit too much.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Aww how sad for you. But it does sound like he's going back there for peace and quiet away from the other pets. As 7cats says could you ask about leaving food/water out for him, but the only thing with that is if he's getting fed down there he may not come home at all. I'm sure you,l get good advice here.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I wonder what your parents think about catproofing the garden, so that Basil can enjoy being outside but without roaming. Until the pets are quite comfortable living together they could be allowed out at different times. This link shows various ways of doing it (you'll need to scroll down a bit till you come to the photos).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cat+p ... 58&bih=551
Bexfox86
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bexfox86 »

The day I posted to this forum he came back by himself and stayed the night here but today he's gone back to old house again and has been there all day.
I don't really want to start leaving food down there as then he'll have no insentive to come back plus I don't know any of the neighbours. Cat proofing really isn't an option, he'll scale any fence.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

If you look at the photos on the link I posted, you'll see some showing angled brackets with netting across. A number of people on here have used this method and find it very successful in keeping their cats in the garden. If Basil could escape from this, he's quite an escape artist!
Attachments
fence.jpg
fence.jpg (5.55 KiB) Viewed 3058 times