Am I a robot? / login issue

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Am I a robot? / login issue

Post by Alice »

Thanks Dave.... Just came back and am still logged in - great!! Long may it continue! :D :D

I still don't understand why the problem only applied to this forum and not 'Health and Behaviour' - the mysteries of technology (a mystery to me, anyway).
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

The robot doesn't seem to discriminate between forums I'm afraid.

Errm, Mary, thanks but honestly, when I say I'm an ignoramus, I mean it ... :shock: I do know someone who's computer-savvy but although he can whip you up a spreadsheet in nano-seconds, if you ask him a basic question like, about, what are my settings, he says errr what?

I really don't understand about notebooks and stuff, and when they start on about browsers and apps ... what is an app? (No, PLEASE don't attempt to explain or my brain will turn to scrambled egg ...) :? :)

ps what is a spreadsheet anyway? I wouldn't know one if it climbed up me leg and bit me on my backside ...and no, please anyone don't try to explain, have pity on my brain ... :shock:
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

Oh dear! :( It didn't last - I've had to log in again just now.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Coming from an accounting background a spreadsheet is easy to understand.

It's a sheet filled with a lot of numbers that people can wave in your general direction and say it is proof that you them ££££s.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

That figures ... :roll:
Davethecat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Davethecat »

Hi Alice,

Sorry you are still having problems!

Where you said
I still don't understand why the problem only applied to this forum and not 'Health and Behaviour'
please can we ask if you had two separate windows open for the two different forums? Or did you have them on different tabs of the same window? Either way, did you have both on the same device, using the same browser?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but we can't think of any reason why there should be a difference between the forums as to whether you stay logged in or not, so just trying to understand your exact scenario, it might help us investigate.

!! Also - more clues from Anyone please!! Anyone else who was/is having the problem of being logged out - we'd be really grateful for your feedback too, as to if this is still happening to you or not, since 5.20pm on Thursday.

Thank you!!
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

Hi Dave
Sorry to be a pain in the ****.

OK ....I just use one laptop, always Chrome, and keep both tabs open in the same window, so I can easily look at either forum. I don't normally look at any other forum.

This is the third time I've looked in today, twice this morning and now. I've had to log in each time, but as I said before I've no such problem with Health and Behaviour.

Thanks for your efforts in trying to resolve this.
7cats
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by 7cats »

Newbie member here, reporting no problems since joining :)
I'm on Windows 7 using Firefox browser 54.0.1 (32-bit) which is up-to-date :)
Edit to add - desktop computer
Last edited by 7cats on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davethecat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Davethecat »

Hello,

We are still trying to work out what might be causing some of you to be logged out, and not others. We haven't been able to replicate the issue ourselves, and so far our investigations of the server & security programmes hasn't brought anything to light.

The issue of when you might get the CAPTCHA / 'I am not a Robot' box, is a separate issue to the one of being logged out after clicking 'remember me', so to save confusion I'm going to start a new thread purely to address the 'logging out' issue. We're hoping that then we might get feedback from a larger number of people on that issue, so that we can rule in or out whether it may be a user's browser issue rather than an issue with our server.

So - if you are having the issue of being logged out - please can you now post on the new thread I'm just about to start - thanks so much!!

xxxxxxx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Well after no issues for a while, I've just had to log in
7cats
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by 7cats »

Just had a thought, are any members using a mobile phone or a tablet to access the forum ?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I have more problems on the laptop than my phone/tablet
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I hate to report this, but -

I'm writing a thread which is rather long and complicated (it's about Mouse going to the West Yorks HT clinic so it's taking some planning and thinking out) and saving it in draft by degrees.

Yesterday I added a load to it, saved it - and was asked if I was a robot. No, I said. Ok, it said and told me my text was saved.

Came back to the draft just now. It hasn't saved yesterday's text.

Sitting sulking and snarling with my fur on end ...grrr :twisted:
Davethecat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Davethecat »

Hi Lilith,
I feel your frustration!
We will have a look at how/when the 'robot" CAPTCHA kicks in, once we've worked out the issue of being logged out. As they are two separate things, we need to work one out before the other, so that we know what is affecting/solving what.

In the meantime, when you are planning a long post, it's best to type your post out onto a plain text file or a Word doc or similar, rather than typing it directly into the forum. That way, you can keep all your text saved, so if anything happens that the "robot" loses you post at least you will still have it on a file.

Thanks for your patience!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks Dave, but I fear you're talking to a total Luddite ... not sure whether there's a way to write a document and transfer it to the forum or else write it and transcribe it from the document ... I know, I'm totally ignorant lol.

But anyway I managed to get my thread up and running by writing it as a new topic straight off, so it's sorted now :D

My hackles still rise as that robot question though ... :o :x
fatoutandia
New Cat Chatter

Post by fatoutandia »

I'm using google chrome. Also, I didn't face robot kind of issue so far. But, I'm asked to login again even when I was logged in. That's how I face problem in it.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Lilith wrote: not sure whether there's a way to write a document and transfer it to the forum or else write it and transcribe it from the document ...
Persuade someone who is computer-savvy to sit down with you at your computer, for quarter of an hour, to show you how to write and save a text file, and copy your text into the forum. It's no harder than joining the forum in the first place, and it could save you a lot of time in the long run.
Davethecat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Davethecat »

Hi Lilith,

I think you just need to learn how to 'Copy and Paste'. If you do a google search for 'copy and paste' there are lots of guides, I promise you it is easy!
Essentially all you are doing is typing your text onto a plain document (not the forum), then 'copying' it from your document and 'pasting' it into the forum.

As Mary says, also a good idea to 'save' the document, so that you have your text saved on your computer. You could just have one single document called (for example) "Cat Chat Posts" and type all your posts in to the one document, so that you have them all saved together if you need them. A little learning curve worth the effort I think, good luck!
xxx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks Mary and Dave :D

We-ell, I'll TRY ...

But you are reckoning without my strange brain ...

Perhaps I AM a robot and just not programmed for this sort of stuff lol :o :P :lol:
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

'Robot" box Update!

Regarding the "I am not a Robot" tick-box and the CAPTCHA picture challenges that some users get when making a post - as at 10am this morning we have adjusted one of our security settings, which we hope will mean that you won't get these challenges so often - or possibly not at all.

Please can you post here to let us know if (after 10am this morning) you no longer get "challenged" when posting (either with a 'Robot' box or picture challenge), or if there is no change, thanks.

Your feedback is appreciated!!!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks Yogiboy, will do - your help is much appreciated :)
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Hello again,

I should add that you may still get 'challenged' once initially, even after our change of setting earlier - but then it should see you as OK after that, and maybe only challenge you once every few weeks, or something like that. This is what we hope it will do now, anyway!!
Thanks for everyone's patience!
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Hopefully a final update on this issue of being "Challenged" with a robot-tick-box etc...

We have today put in an extra 'rule' on our security programme that should hopefully stop you from getting 'challenged' when posting.

However, please do post here if you still find a problem with this, as there is another solution we could use if needed.

Thank you!!!