Cat Pee Question

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Rubirabbit
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat Pee Question

Post by Rubirabbit »

As some of you may know we brought home a cat from Greece. I have a question and hope someone will be able to advise me.

We have noticed a very unpleasant aroma of cat pee. Today I noticed it in the kitchen. There is no evidence to be found anywhere, which is the really strange thing. The kitchen is granite, marble and wooden cabinets. We washed everything down but there is still an odour. The cat is clean, no staining on his fur. This has happened twice before. I have no idea what is going on or how to stop it. Can anyone help please? He is a neutered cat.
Last edited by Rubirabbit on Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cat Pee Question

Post by emmab »

Cats can still spray even when neutered. We too have Gemo peeing atm in the house but it is because we have adopted another cat she doesn't like. Do you have litters trays in the house? We found that was a problem as she was too scared to go out. Obviously the key is to find out why they are peeing indoors, be it health or stress. We have bought some neutraliser on Amazon which helps with any possible spray or urine issues and it is also meant to deter furture spraying etc. Sounds like a stress issue if she has recently been transported back from Greece.

It is very hard to locate the pee sometimes. We had to throw out a sofa bed yesterday as she has peed next to it and we spotted it too late.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

It does sound like he has decided to spray and mark the kitchen as his. If he is the one i think I remember reading about he has had quite a hard time up to now and was neutered as an adult, so the move on top of everything else might be enough to make him feel he has to spray the place to mark it as his and it is a technique he has already learnt to use.

As Emmab says, it is best to get some proper cat urine cleaner to deal with it, normal bleach can actually encourage cats to spray. Make sure you check all the walls and cabinets for any sign or scent of spraying, it won't necessarily be puddles on the floor and if left cat urine can be very corrosive to things like wall plaster and plasterboard. You might also want to consider a Feliway Diffuser, these can help a cat feel more relaxed and at home in an environment, in my opinion they aren't the miracle cure that some would make out but they can help.

I am assuming that there is no chance of another cat entering the house and being the culprit or making yours feel insecure.

Hopefully once he realises that that is his home and no one else is going to move in and try and take it off him he will settle down and stop any spraying.
Rubirabbit
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rubirabbit »

Eventually found a small patch on the granite worktop :o . The house still smells very unpleasant, despite cleaning and opening windows. We used vinegar/water solution. I will look online for a specific cleaner.

I didn't think he was stressed,he seems quite chilled. Always sprawled in a heap asleep on sofas, computer chair and bed. I don't read cats very well as I mentioned before. Not really a cat person, made an exception for D because of his circumstances. He seemed to know I was upset with him as last night he got up on the arm of the sofa and laid there all evening ( he's not done that before ). I think he wanted to get on my lap but wasn't sure what reaction he would receive. When I went to bed he crept up the bed and settled on my stomach, stayed there all night ( somewhat uncomfortable for me having 5.5 kg of cat on me ). He seems his usual self this morning, sprawled across my legs as I type this.

The day before yesterday the black cat from hell appeared in the garden. It went for the leftover hedgehog food I'd put out for the birds. D and I were in the conservatory. D seemed a bit agitated, staring at the cat and craning his neck to follow it as it left the garden. I also spotted this cat strolling through the garden a few days ago when D was outside in his enclosure, but the cat ignored D and kept on going. Would this cat make D feel he has to pee in the house, even though the other cat was outside?

I have also wondered if Peppermint might have something to do with yesterday's episode. The rabbits were here before D and this is their home. I feel quite strongly that they will come first and that D has to fit in with them, not the other way around. He is fine with Hartley and Rubi. Peppermint and Aubrey were a little scared of him initially and Aubrey is still not totally comfortable with D. Peppermint has begun venturing out of their room and running about in the house again as she has always done prior to D's arrival. Surely a rabbit wouldn't make him pee on the worktop??

He uses a covered litter tray, which he has access to at all times.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

It might be worth investing in a UV torch. The wee glows under the light - as does anything else organic.I think bleach might too. There are others, but this was the cheapest on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bihood-Flashli ... urine+lamp

PS- I just noticed that the one I linked to comes from China, so might take a while. Might be worth spending a bit more if you want one quickly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... urine+lamp
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey that's a good tip, Mark, for that price I've ordered one as I've got a rug 'sweetening' in the cellar after the time my Molly took against a different litter, the little horror.

Good luck with Dmitri, Rubirabbit, poor chap, he sounds like a mixed up kid at the moment - my Molly was the same though without the turbulent background, when she was new, if I was on the phone and not talking to her, she'd go and do a big wee in a corner, just to learn me lol. But she's a really good girl these days - paws crossed and as long as she has her favourite litter. They do settle down, bless them.

All the very best with the lad and hope he makes friends with the rabbits :)