'Remember me' but having to log in again?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Davethecat
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

'Remember me' but having to log in again?

Post by Davethecat »

We are hoping for some feedback please!!!

Whilst using this board, if you have found that you have been logged out, and have to log in again, even though you had ticked the "Remember Me" box - we would really appreciate your help. This only appears to be happening to a small number of users, so we need as much information as possible to try to try to work out why.

So if you have been logged out despite ticking 'Remember me", please can you tell us as much as possible of the following:
Which browser do you use?
Do you have your browser cookies set to keep data only until you quit your browser?
Do you have your browser set to clear your History when the browser closes?
Have you updated your browser version recently?
What date & time did you find yourself logged out, and have to log in again?
Please let us know your IP address so we can check our error logs (if you don't know it, just google 'what is my IP address')

Thank you!!!
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: 'Remember me' but having to log in again?

Post by Alice »

Dave..
My situation is still the same as I reported previously. I'd to log in this morning, and again on coming back now. I always tick 'Remember me'.

I use a laptop, Windows 10, Chrome browser up to date, IP 31 185 173 103. I allow cookies, and don't clear my browsing history.

No problem staying logged in when viewing Health and Behaviour, and both tabs kept open all the time.

Sorry it's not proving easy to resolve.
Davethecat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Davethecat »

Hi Alice,
OK - as at 10.47am this morning (Mon 31st) we have changed a setting that might possibly help, maybe you can test this for us? What I would suggest is that you log out of the forum altogether and close the window(s) (both this section and Health & Behaviour), then clear your cache /cookies so that you are starting from scratch with browser cookies. Then log in again - making sure to tick "Remember Me" and go into whatever sections you like, and then test it over a couple of days to see if you stay logged in. We would be very grateful to know how you get on!

One other thought - do you have access to more than one ISP / Internet connection / provider where you are? If you can access more than one internet connection, and happened to connect via one at one time, and the other the next time, that could trigger the forum security and log you out. Clutching at straws here!

Anyone Else being logged out? If you have been logged out despite ticking 'Remember me", please can you tell us as much as possible of the following:
Do you access the web via more than one different ISP / Internet connection?
Which browser do you use?
Do you have your browser cookies set to keep data only until you quit your browser?
Do you have your browser set to clear your History when the browser closes?
Have you updated your browser version recently?
What date & time did you find yourself logged out, and have to log in again?
Please let us know your IP address so we can check our error logs (if you don't know it, just google 'what is my IP address')
Thanks!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

It happens to me every time, regardless of time of day

I use a Macbook Air with Firefox Browser, which is up to date IP 86.191.2.95. I allow cookies, and don't clear my browsing history.
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Hi Mark,
Sorry to hear you are still having this problem!

After testing and re-testing this over the last couple of weeks, we haven't been able to reproduce this, and just stayed logged in. We've checked all the settings that affect "session times" both on the forum and the server and there's nothing there which would log you out. So, it does seem from our investigations so far that it's not anything on our side which is causing this. Also as there's been no other feedback on this thread, we've had to assume for now that it is only affecting a small number of users, so...

We are now thinking this is something specific to your (and the few others who reported this) system / browser / settings / add-ons or extensions on your system maybe? A bit of googling showed plenty of threads about Firefox logging people out of various places, so worth googling for that. We found this one re: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/972105 so worth checking if you have an automatic mail-checker like 'x-notifier or similar? (if so, try disabling that). Have you tried logging in on a different device, and seeing if "Remember me" works on there? Also found this thread - which recommends starting Firefox in "Safe Mode" to check if any of your extensions are causing the problem: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1102211 Other than that, it would be worth googling for 'firefox logging me out of forums' or something similar, and reading the suggestions there.

We'd be really grateful if you could post back if you find anything that works, as it may help the few others with this problem. Thanks Mark!
xxxx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Ironically I've just had to log in again - I did one day over the weekend and could swear I had ticked remember me.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

I'm still constantly logged out on Chrome, but only this forum, never logged out on Health and Behaviour (I keep both tabs open as they're the ones I follow). For the last few days I've tried Firefox, just for this forum, and it's been fine - since first logging in it's remembered me each time.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I just tried in Safari and it remembered me - so in my case, it is only if I use Firefox. I'm really not a tech person. I don't have things like automatic email checker - in fact I must be the only person that has had a Smartphone for years and has never downloaded an app :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

What's an app? :oops: :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

MarkB wrote:I just tried in Safari and it remembered me - so in my case, it is only if I use Firefox. I'm really not a tech person. I don't have things like automatic email checker - in fact I must be the only person that has had a Smartphone for years and has never downloaded an app :lol:
You have a smartphone? Mine's still a 'clockwork' one that my young friends find hilarious. :roll:

I have had no problems with CC recently, but if it persists, I re-google CC and log-on to a fresh 'page', then delete the old one.
Davethecat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Davethecat »

Hi all,
Thanks for the extra feedback! It's sounding more likely that this issue is down to individual browser settings. It's always possible that when a browser updates itself (to a new version) that potentially there could be new/different/stricter settings that you aren't even aware of, so you may need to do some digging to find out what setting it is.

So, if you find that you are being logged off using one browser, but not another, try searching for that issue specifically, so for example search for something like: "firefox keeps logging me out of sites" (or whichever browser is causing you the problem), and see what solutions others have found.
Or, otherwise have a look through the Settings/Preferences for that browser and see if there's anything obvious about sessions/cookies that might mean they are set to clear on exit (or similar). We have read a few times that sometimes browsers get cookie "conflicts" so it can sometimes help to clear cookies, quit the browser altogether, and re-launch it, so that's worth a try too.

Alice - that thing of being logged out of "Cat Chatting" and not "Health & Behaviour" has us totally stumped! Would love to know the answer to that one, we will post back here if we can think of anything!

Cheers!
xxxx