Stray pregnant cat adopted us!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Stray pregnant cat adopted us!

Post by Ceedge »

She loves it! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG (34.21 KiB) Viewed 6221 times
She has been purring really loudly since I put it down for her :mrgreen:
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Ceedge »

bobbys girl wrote:Have you any idea how rare it is to have a kitty who likes having her tummy tickled? :shock: My boy Bob loves it but he is the only one. If I tried that with Gracie, I'd be wearing her!

It's lovely to see how settled she looks.
She does a really cute roll over/awkward scootch to get herself in just the right position between my legs in my lap so I can run fingers up and down that belly... and right now she is almost ALL belly! This is fast becoming a very rewarding experience.

I do think I need to spend some quality time with the pups soon.. Loki is desperate for love at the best of times and has been attached to my girlfriend since we brought PK in. I wonder if he is feeling not being the "baby" anymore. He even tried to climb in the bathtub with her this morning.. which was strange because he usually hates bathtime.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww doesn't she look happy :D

Meant to say, love the photos of the pups too :D
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Ceedge »

Thank you, :-) They are my world.. well almost, the GF and now kitty have taken large chunks of that too. She has some "show" which she was not fond of showing me.. but I didn't love looking at it either so I think we are even. I am spending the night in the office again. She rearranged the birthing area by knocking over the box and dragging the blanket half out.. I suppose she wanted a view of the room while she has the babies. I also asked a friend over, GF had to go to work and I have a feeling this is going to make me weird an emotional. Plus she is better at remembering to take pics so there is a better chance of having clear shots of the birth. I am loads more wound than PK is right now. She is relaxing in front of the fan and looking a bit over this whole situation.
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Ceedge »

PK is still hanging in there but I just got some AMAZING news! We reached out to a friend of a friend that runs a fabulous shelter and he is going to take care of kitten vaccinations and will rehome them when they are 9-12 weeks old (I would think closer to 12 would be better, but I will defer to his judgement.) I have really admired this guy for a while. We dropped off supplies at his shelter a while ago and he gave us the ten cent tour. Every animal that we visited clearly worshiped him and one of the pits that had been severely over-bred was literally hugging him at one point. Between ya'll and this wonderful guy we are going to be in really good shape! I am feeling really optimistic about this now. :-)
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Congratulations on finding such a good prospect for the kittens. That will be a load off your mind. But I take it PK is going to stay part of the family?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, good news indeed! I take it the name has stuck too, hope so. :D
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Georgia loves having her tummy tickled but only at bedtime when she's settling down and already sleepy. Good luck with the birth it must be very exciting. :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww that is so good to hear! :D Some of these rescues can be so kind. :D

If PK has had a 'show' then she should be on her way - and especially if she's had a makeover of her 'maternity ward'. Bless her and good luck, all paws crossed here, my royal python Shahi is crossing his tail :D
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Ceedge »

We are still hanging in here. :-) Pk has been named "Danielle" but I will continue to call her PK as a nickname because I really like it. Yes, we are going to keep her. She is such a sweet loving girl and I think after she is fixed she will make a lovely indoor/outdoor kitty. She is a fabulous little hunter. Any little thing that blows across the room is instantly pounced upon and killed. She is a terror to paper towels everywhere. We had some people over for breakfast and she wanted love from everyone that came through the door, she is so affectionate it is unreal. Will keep updates coming.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Ceedge wrote:she wanted love from everyone that came through the door, she is so affectionate it is unreal.
I think it's very clear that PK wasn't born feral. She must have been in a home and had contact with friendly humans when she was a kitten. She is so lucky to have been adopted by you.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Ceedge Danielle's a nice name but I think she'll be PK (Pretty Kitty). re paper towels I've had to hide loo paper in bins. Harper was destroying - shredding - during the night. I'd wake up to loo paper everywhere. I've woken up to find bathroom & ensuite cupboards open. I used to keep loo paper in the cupboards. She saw me putting new rolls in the ensuite bin the other day & I thought "Oh noooo!" So far all is ok.

Great news about your friend at the rescue. Over here the local council provides a reduced rate to spey/vaccinate cats & then some vets have a discount week to have cats speyed.

And I too enjoyed the pup's pics. I've always wanted to rehomed a greyhound. A friend who's a carer for Little Paws belongs to an organisation "Friend's of the Hounds" & she has rehomed one. She said once I've decided to do it, she'll help me.
Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I adore greyhounds/lurchers but it is in their nature to chase small, furry things. You'll have to watch that.

My Bonnie (whippet X) would chase just about anything that ran from her. But as soon as she was confronted by anything she wussed out. Sister Judy's kitten frightened the life out of her :lol: OH's Katie (greyhound X) got beat up by a rabbit as a pup and only ever chased sticks.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I thought it was important to comment on the whole 'dog chasing furry thing' problem. Once everyone knows their place, ie cats on top, everyone else underneath, things usually work out just fine. It did for us, Katie was very protective of the cats (Bonnie, bless her, was so ga ga by then, she just thought they were odd dogs)
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Ceedge »

MarySkater- I agree, we don't live in the greatest of neighborhoods and I suspect she was a kitten that grew up and someone got bored. We asked around about her, and quite a few people have fed her but no one seems to know for sure where she came from.

Mayday21- Yes! I like the name PK.. although I have since been informed that she is but one of a number of cats that have PK for pretty kitty. I thought I was clever. Ah well. She seems okay when the paper towels are on the roll and secure, but once it flutters it is all over for that one and usually the next five. My pups have chewed up things far more precious to me than paper towels so I consider her a vast improvement. I always say the most expensive part of a puppy is replacing everything they can reach while teething.

Zoe is actually a Weimaraner, they are a German hunting breed, but like Greys they also have far too much energy and usually will be after anything small and furry. Zo is a special girl.. She is very anxious and VERY jumpy. I know it sounds strange but I see her being terrified by kittens. While she can be a little territorial in her back yard (Just barking, but quite a lot of it if there is someone she doesn't know), she is always super submissive and timid. Loki (The BIG boy) is actually the one I am more concerned about. He is a sweet pup, and I can't imagine him hurting anything on purpose, he is also a very big boy and at a under over a year and a half, still a puppy. He grew very fast in a short period and sometimes is still surprised that he can't get into the little crawl spaces that he used to. It's actually really funny to watch him try to walk under table that is clearly not big enough to fit him any longer.

bobby's girl- I WISH she would chase sticks and balls. She will haul behind after Loki when he is chasing something, but before him would look at you as if to say "You threw it, YOU go get it" so there was no fetch in our house for a while

Now onto the kitkit, She is still VERY lightly seeping, but there is no REAL blood and she is still eating and napping on and off. My back is not appreciating the nights on the office bed, but we are gearing up to spend another night. :-)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Ooh bless you. My friends arrive today, so I'll not be around so much. But I will be thinking about you and wishing you all the best. x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

You really are going above and beyond to make sure PK is alright, i hope your back isn't suffering too much.

I don't think it matters what their official names are, cats always end up being called something different around the house (sometimes things I wouldn't want to repeat online), so I think it is once PK always PK.

I love the dogs too, very much the type I would have if I didn't live in a two bedroom semi and both of us working full time. I have always prefered the larger working dog breeds to the small ones but I know I couldn't give one the time and space they need so better not to have one and accept my three cats and pond full of fish are my limit.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ouch! Yes, it's hell sleeping in an unfamiliar place. Been there done that ... and then the little gits wait till morning lol.

Hey I don't want to be alarmist, but if PK has been 'dribbling' for 2 days it might be a good idea to let the vet know - even if it's a false alarm, they won't mind. All very best wishes to her :)
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Ceedge »

I have a confession to make: I can be kinda dumb sometimes. :oops:

Half of this has nothing to do with PK, but it has been a heck of a day. I put the word out on social networks that I was a little concerned (there goes my image) and asking if anyone knew a vet I could talk to. I did call our vet this morning, but I wasn't urgent and thought they would call me back. So around 3 a buddy said he worked with a woman who breeds cats, and she would be more than happy to Facetime with me for a few minutes, and tell me if this was a vet worthy event or no.

RIGHT as she got on the phone a dog walked in! Loki had somehow gotten out of the back yard and walked right up to the front door. So I checked the back yard and there were some guys working on a power line right behind us. They have asked us before if they can use our gate and I told them it was fine as long as the dogs weren't out there. They claimed not to have seen him and I asked them to knock on the front door in the future if they needed to enter the yard. I really thought they just hadn't latched it securely and he got through. This will be an important reminder of the lesson to never assume.

A few things I learned on the call. PK has NOT been panting for the past few days. She is breathing, cats just happen to be smaller than humans and large dogs and so they breathe faster. Whoops! I awkwardly asked her to look at kitty junk and she said that it does look as if we are getting in the home stretch, but as she is not bleeding, just sometimes seeping clear pink she should be just fine. She told me if I see blood and not just pink for too long that is when I need to get kitty in. She was very gracious and and I WILL be calling again to give updates and asking lots of questions.

Now after the call I was feeling great so I came into the living room to hear Zoe flipping out at the back door. I went to check and no Loki. My heart stopped. The first thing I did was check with the power guys and they claimed not to have seen him (Something I now know to be true and owe those guys and apology when they come back tomorrow) I looked in every room in the house and the shed in the back just to make sure and started walking the neighborhood calling his name. I asked everyone I came across and no one had seen him. Now he is a very large and ridiculously friendly dog so if he was in the neighborhood SOMEONE would have seen him. I even went two streets over on all four sides to make sure, but nothing. Confused and heart sick with no idea where my baby boy could be I came back home and started working up the nerve to call my GF and let her know he was missing. When I was walking up to the front door I could hear a queer sounding whining that sounded like it MIGHT be him, so I rushed in the house...No Loki. Checked the back yard again. No Loki. Shed? No Loki. Just as I decided that I was losing my mind I heard it again and saw just his nose coming out from under the house. What in the fresh heck?

Turns out my trouble maker had broken a loose board on the fence and then climbed in a hole that still looks to small for him to get under there. I had to tear off some siding to get him out, but he is totally fine. Filthy and covered in cobwebs, but unharmed. We will be repairing both the fence and the side of the house this weekend. I feel like I have been up and down the emotional roller coaster today, but at the end of it everyone is fine and GF will not ever know that I lost our baby boy for an hour or so. I need a drink Ya'll!

Oh yeah Edit: My back is totally fine, just a little stiff and I am a bit of a whiner sometimes :) I sleep in that office on occasion when one of us is really sick and we need to separate to get any sleep, or when I end up working too late :ugeek: and don't wanna bother her an hour before she gets up. No one is happy at 4:30 am and I want her to get the best sleep possible.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

You're not dumb, at some point our pets make fools out of all of us, and it just makes us love them all the more. Glad it all turned out well and no one was hurt.

My thanks go out to the lady breeder willing to give you the advice over the phone. It is always good to know there is someone with experience on the end of a phone if you are concerned about how things are going. You hear so many bad things about people, especially about breeders that you forget the bad ones are in the minority.

PK is definitely keeping us all hanging on, but cats will be cats and she will get on with the job in her own time.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh, we've all been there! I remember giving on of mine a telling-off along the lines of 'and if I catch you doing that again, you'll get a smack over the nose with a rolled up newspaper!' only to turn around and see a very bewildered postman standing behind me. :oops: :roll:

Glad to hear that you have been able to get some sound advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.

It shouldn't be too long now.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol! That's why actors say never appear with animals and children - because they'll always have the last laugh! GSDs are dozy articles anyway - mine would get through a fence or a stile and then howl in terror on the way back because it was DIFFERENT from the other side...

Errm, again I don't mean to be alarmist and I really really hope I'm totally wrong, but one of my Siamese hung fire like this, and her discharge was clear, but in the end she had to have a C section. It's over 25 years ago and I don't remember the exact details, like precisely how long I waited before taking her to the vet (it was a couple of days at least and I was angry with myself but we can all be wise by hindsight) BUT, they ARE all different and truly I don't want to scare you and I hope PK gets down to it with no problems soon.

Again sorry for any TMI and hope that all goes well - all paws crossed here! :)
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

Any news,or is she still keeping you waiting??
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Still no kittens?
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

I keep checkin here to see did the kittens arrive safely. Any news ???
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

I suspect that the story did not have a happy ending.
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Ceedge »

I am so sorry! I totally forgot to come back here and let ya'll know what happend. Dany (As she has been dubbed) had four kittens on August 29th who were named William Shakespurr, Hunter S. Tomcat, Draco Meowfoy and Catnip Everdeen. Sadly Catnip did not survive the first night.. but I suspect there was something wrong as mama had taken her out of the nest and put her on the other end of the room by herself. She was buried under a really pretty tree out front and was loved for the little time that she had with us.

Draco was hit or miss for a second there.. she was very small and was not breathing well when she was first born, but after warming up in the GF's bra and some frantic mixing of formula and warming up she did just fine. Now she is the first on the milk bar and has gained the most out of all of em.. She started at just 79g and is now a 355g little fatty :-)

Today the kittens are three weeks old and starting to crawl out of the nest so we are building a kitten corral out of the small bed in there and some moving boxes.

Everyone has their own little personality and Dany has gotten into the habit of bringing me a kitten and dropping it on my feet as I am working at the computer. Scared the heck out of me the first time, but I have used it as an opportunity for a quick cuddle before I put the baby back. :-) We call them "Kitten gifts"
Kittenpileblue.JPG
Hunter Lap.JPG
Hunter first walk.JPG
Hunter first walk.JPG (29.95 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
Draco on bed.JPG
Draco on bed.JPG (30.99 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
Dany.JPG
Dany and kits.JPG
Cleaningkittens.JPG
Here are some pics we have gotten of mama and the babies. She looks so slim and tiny now, I can't believe my little playful demon is the same kinda timid cat that came here more than a month ago
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww that's great to hear, made my day! :D

Little beauties, and Dany looks so happy and well. So glad it all went well in the end (though sorry to hear about Catnip) lots of love to them all :D
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Many thanks for the update and the photos. We were all interested in the story of your new family member, and it's good to know that it turned out well.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Oh how lovely are those photos. What a nice update.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Great to hear it was good news in the end, even if poor little Catnip didn't make it, unfortunately sometimes something is wrong inside and they just aren't meant to be. I guess we were all fearing the worst, we all know that sometimes it doesn't work out no matter how hard we try, as it is it looks like you have your hands full with that little lot, so not updating us is forgivable.

Dany certainly knew what she was doing when she adopted you as the perfect family for her while she had her kits and afterwards.