I am so annoyed!!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

I am so annoyed!!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I took Bella to my vet's this afternoon for her second vaccinations, Paula, (vet) checked her over said she was fine but her teeth were awful, they need to be cleaned but also she might have to take some out. Paula also thinks she could be as old as 12, just because of the state her teeth are in, but then that is strange as she has only just been spayed when she went in to the RSPCA, now Paula has said this work could cost as much as £500+ this makes me very annoyed as the rspca should have done her teeth before she was put up for adoption but in stead I will have to cover this cost..........now please don't think I am not going to have this done because of the expense but I have had her 2 weeks & then to be told a vet bill will be over £500.......well it is a bit of a shock. Paula has suggested I phone the rspca to ask them to do this, even if I pay a part, but she also said she doesn't think they will agree.

Marg.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: I am so annoyed!!

Post by booktigger »

I can understand your annoyance, that is a lot for dental work though. I'd definitely speak to them
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ouch!

Good old RSPCA eh? I quite agree, the teeth should have been picked up on at a vet check ... if she got one ... :(

(I do have to say branches vary; some good some bad, but this one doesn't sound so very good.)

I'd certainly ring them but don't hold out much hope ...

Dentals vary, because of the differing amount of work; I paid almost £400 last spring for one for Mouse, who's 15 but this included a drip (they prefer to keep an older cat on a drip as long as possible and I think this is a good idea myself.) They may also suggest a preliminary blood test to give more info too. Mousey had had a test a couple of months previously before anaesthetic for clearing impacted constipation ... that cat has been a very dear Mouse this year lol.

But a big dental job like this OUGHT to have been the concern of the rescuing agency - all power to you and good luck to Bella, I'm glad she's found you :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

You have a right to be annoyed, this should have been sorted before she was rehomed. Unfortunately I can't say I'm surprised, while I am sure there must be good RSPCA branches out there I have always heard more bad than good about them. It's worth ringing them to see if they would at least pay part of the cost, you have nothing to lose except a phone call.

Poor Bella, but at least once the work is done she should be sorted for a long time, and as I have heard said (and seen with our Ragdoll, Blue when he had to have all his back teeth out) a cat with no teeth is better off than a cat with a bad tooth.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

perhaps if you were to hint that you would have to give her back to them as you can't afford it .....................

nothing to lose after all
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol Kay - good wheeze! :D :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Kay wrote:perhaps if you were to hint that you would have to give her back to them as you can't afford it .....................

nothing to lose after all
I think that's the way I would go. It's worth a try anyway. Very best wishes.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I have been ringing round the other vets in the town as a friend told me the vets I went to are very expensive, one I spoke to said a normal dental would be £154.00, quite a big difference to £500+, I have booked an appointment there for next Wednesday........so I hope for some better news re the price.
This all sounds as if I am penny pinching, I'm not really, we are both pensioners, but Bella will get her teeth done what ever the price, but if I can get the job done for £154+ not £500+ then it will be much better.
I have been trying on & off all day to get hold of the RSPCA, the message says they are busy, please hold, so I will try again tomorrow now.

Marg.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Firstly I would say give the RSPCA a break as a rescuer of over 30 years no not RSPCA its very very hard the vet they use will probably check an animal over and give an opinion on essential medical treatment needed and ideal world treatment needed that opinion may differ to that of your own vet the branch also has to consider funds available and other possibility such as not taking in an animal in need at all or euthanasia that said most charities get discount at the vet they use so surely they should at least offer you this option but £500 for a cat dental is far too much so shop around
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Our local RSPCA branch is one of the good ones and they're really pro-active in so many ways

But re your Bella, in all honesty a dental can go up to that amount... if it's an older cat then a good vet should do full bloods beforehand to confirm that the cat is healthy enough for an anaesthetic. Older cats also generally require fluids either during or during and after the operation and a bit more intensive care as they're coming round. If the teeth are really bad and extractions are needed then again it can up the cost. A friends cat recently had a dental done with no major side issues and it came to that amount? But then dare I say - maybe one of the joys of living in South East England where things just seem to be bucket loads more expensive that anything up north or west of the M25?

But definitely phone around and get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. And fingers crossed the RSPCA do see your point and offer some assistance. The other thing to check with them is if they can't help financially if they can arrange for their vet to do the dental at the reduced charity rate they get; not full whack we'd normally pay
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I've just paid £493 for a dental and she only has her canines and peg teeth left - removed 2 canines and scaled and polished the remaining, they should do blood tests first for the older cats.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I have emailed the RSPCA this morning to ask about the dental, I went out after lunch & when I got back I had had 3 missed calls on my mobile, (I forgot to take it) & 2 emails from rspca, they have apologised for her not having a medical check & asked me to go in next Tuesday to see the vet, they said they don't do scale & polish but will do extractions, but if they don't get rid of the tartar on her teeth, they may not know if any teeth need to be taken out. Anyway, I am pleased about it so far, I hope they will do it all & I can give a donation or pay some towards the cost.

Marg.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

It's good that they accept they were at fault and are taking at least partially responsibility for sorting Bella out
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

At least they have apologised and admitted they were wrong, I may be a bit odd but an apology goes a long way with me to setting things right.

There seems little point in putting her under to have the extractions done and not doing a quick scale while they are at it, but it might be something you could discuss with them and see if you could just pay for that part of the work.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Ruth, That is what I am hoping can be done, I don't want her under 2 GA's in a short time for something that can be done at the same time. Not good for a young or old animal.
I gave her half a small tin of tuna in spring water this morning, wow, she loved it.

Marg.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

GOOD NEWS...........The RSPCA are going to do Bella's teeth, their vet said she will need extractions & will clean her teeth at the same time. I am really pleased. It will be done next week sometime.

Marg.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey that's great, congrats and good on you for persisting :D

All the best little Bella, you'll be a bit uncomfortable at first but you'll be feeling like a new cat soon :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good news, I am really pleased to hear that. :D
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Brilliant to hear, she will soon be feeling better for it.