Adopting a kitten currently in foster care.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Laura54
New Cat Chatter

Adopting a kitten currently in foster care.

Post by Laura54 »

Hi I just met my new kitten today,she is currently on foster care with her mum and siblings. She's 5weeks old right now. I took her a blanket and toy so when she comes home she has something that's familiar to her.
My worry is.. Could this possibly bring fleas into my home?
If so what's the safest way to treat her bedding when she comes home xx
Thank you
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Adopting a kitten currently in foster care.

Post by KittyWitty »

Indorex Flea Spray is AMAZING! You can treat your whole house with this!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also if she is coming from a foster home then the foster's generally treat the kittens for fleas and worms but if you are at all worried take your kitty to the vet the day or day after they come home and the vet will treat them.

Also confine kitty to a small area at first if you are in any doubt - easier to treat a small area than a whole house...
Laura54
New Cat Chatter

Post by Laura54 »

Thank you so much for the reply:) ill definitely get this spray..thank you:)
Any recommendations on a good cat litter also?
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

We use Natures Calling: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is great, clumps amazingly - no odour, hardly any dust and doesn't trail as much as others that we have tried!

Usually its about £12 for the 12kg but if you shop around you'll find it cheaper than on amazon :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

to start I'd use the same litter the foster mom is using - that way the kitten is used to it and it's not all too much change in one go. If you don't like it then you can slowly swop it over.

Also check with the fosterer when she last treated the kitten for fleas because you don't want to be over treating as that can have horrendous consequences.

When are you getting your kitten? (and would you consider getting two so they have each other for company? ;) :D )
Laura54
New Cat Chatter

Post by Laura54 »

I wanted to adopt her sister also..but I think I'd be pushing my luck,landlord and husband agreed to one:( but I've pretty much got every toy possible to keep her as busy as I possibly can. I pick her up in 3weeks.. Can't wait. Literally counting down the days. Yeah I'm gonna try keep as much familiar things around as I can,her litter and food..which ill slowly swap after she's settled..she also has her blanket and mouse which I gave her last week.so hopefully it won't all be too scary for her. I just want to make sure when I swap I'm using the best.. And so I came on here..as you know from experience what works xx thank you:) ill post a photo of my little lady
Laura54
New Cat Chatter

Post by Laura54 »

Here she is.. She's such an unusual colour:)
Attachments
image.jpg
(109.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
My little girl:)
My little girl:)
image.jpg (80.04 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

awww she is a beaut! My heart just exploded I think <3