bit of food advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

bit of food advice

Post by nanny pamy »

Ive always fed Theo go cat biscuits in the mornings and gourmet gold pate in the evenings. But he seemed to be leaving quite a bit of the gourmet. So as he's 7 yrs I decided to try Félix senior in jelly.He went absolutely mad over it. Stood up on his back legs waiting for it and woofed it down. Now I'm not sure how much to give him. He seems to wait by his cupboard and looks at us as if he's desperate for more. Do I forget the biscuits and give him a sachet morning and night or give him half a sachet in the morning and half at night and keep his biscuits too. I'm confused because he only seems to be eating mostly the jelly and leaving all the bits of meat so how do I know he,s getting enough. He seems hungry and he's following me around but I don't want to overfed as he a big boy. Lol. Any advice really appreciated. Today he's had a sachet this morning. His biscuits, and he's now sitting by his cupboard with a very sad face.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: bit of food advice

Post by Alice »

I don't want to upset you, but Go Cat is a very poor quality food. Something like Purina One Sensitive is much better, easily available and well liked by most cats. If Theo likes it you could buy it more cheaply in bigger quantities online, such as from Zooplus.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_ ... purina_one

You don't say how much dry food Theo has, so it's difficult to say if he's having enough to eat, but Go Cat will fill him up without giving him much nourishment.

Personally I wouldn't bother about senior food for a 7 year old cat - he'll be fine on normal food for a while yet. Most cats lick the jelly off food. I add water and mash the chunks. You could try the pate type in foil trays - mine love the ones I get from Aldi and Lidl, only 19p each and seem to be reasonable quality with no chunks to leave. Felix AGAIL has fairly small pieces of meat, and is widely liked by cats, decent quality and again cheaper online.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

you're going to have to try a bit of trial and error here, I think

Go-Cat is very heavy on carbs and very low on protein, and I would certainly recommend a better quality dry food for him - I would start with James Wellbeloved Turkey, as I've never encountered a cat who didn't like it - and it will fill him up better

I feed two of mine on Gourmet pate because they leave lumps too, but you could try mashing up the Felix - if he only eats the jelly he will be getting very little nutrition from it and will be constantly hungry

as another experiment you could do what I have sometimes had success with - I let mine lick off the jelly or gravy, and then pop a plastic container over the lumps to keep them moist and put them down again overnight - they are usually at least partially eaten by morning

and as a general rule, two pouches or small tins, and around 25gms of dry would be an average amount of food for most cats

*crossed with Alice - we seem to be largely singing from the same hymn sheet!!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I think Alice is right, Go Cat is the feline equivalent of a big mac - makes you fat and not very nutritious. Mine are little beggars when it comes to licking off the gravy and leaving the meat (daft thing is they won't eat the special soupy stuff!) They all seem to like Sheba foil trays of chicken in gravy - on offer in Tesco at the moment. They also love JWB dry food, a bit more expensive but I buy it when it's on offer.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Thanks so much. That's a real big help. I,l bin the GoCat and get some JWB or Purina one sensitive online.:ive just given him a Félix pouch and again he's eaten all the jelly and left the bits of meat (which I had mashed up well) so I covered it up and Il put it down tonight. He's sitting at his cupboard again looking at me with *those* big sad eyes. I,l pop to Tesco when it opens at 10 and get him a Purina to be going on with while I wait for my online purchase to arrive. Thanks again. X
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I wouldn't bin the Go Cat that Theo's used to, but I'd mix a little of it in with the new variety that you give him. That way the new food isn't quite such a sudden change, as well as avoiding waste. (My early years were during wartime rationing and the thrifty ways I saw then have stayed with me!) :roll:
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Thanks Alice. Great idea. Il do that.