And then there were 7 .........

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

And then there were 7 .........

Post by Crewella »

My lot have all settled into the new house and are getting full enjoyment out of the garden and summertime.

As some kind soul donated a cat run to my local rescue, and as I just happened to have an area of paving stones about the right size at the side of the garage, that's going up this week and I hope to have an inmate or two soon. And in the meantime, kitten season has started, and the rescue is filling up again.

Poor Teasel came into rescue last year as a stray with feral kittens, and has been hiding in her box at the back of her pen ever since, though she did come out for her regular feeder. She must have had a home once, you can pick her up and she's just passive, but she's very, very timid and stood little chance of finding a home as nobody ever got to see her! So, to free up her pen, and to see if living in a house and regular contact will help, she's now installed in my spare room. Two days in and she's still not eaten, though she's used her litter tray, and I've had to pull the chest of drawers out as she'd dropped down the back of it and got wedged down there, but time will tell.

Wish her luck!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 020287.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: And then there were 7 .........

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen you have been busy!

Will be exciting to see who your first "guests" will be. Wonder what your gang will think. Especially Nellie :)

Poor Teasel. She's been through so much and obviously hasn't adapted well to life in a pen. I'm so glad you've taken her into your home. Really hope she will improve over the next few days or so. You're giving her the best chance she could possibly have. Keep us updated.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

The problem is that I have to go to see the rescue cats to photograph them for the Cat Chat homing page ....... my poor OH worries what I'm going to come home with every time I go there ....... :lol:

But one of the reasons we moved was so that we could have a big garden and perhaps foster, so at least the pen is no big surprise to him. :D

We just need to see if I am actually capable of fostering properly, with both Peaches and Basil as 'failed' foster cats and now permanent ......... I'll keep you posted!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

Good luck Teasel! She is a beaut!

:lol: :lol: You'll definitely have your hands full!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Good luck, I'm surprised you've decided to offer to foster, seeing as you have failed both times, and talking about having 7 :) . I'd see how you get on with Teasel before having the pen erected though. Let's hope a home environment works for her.
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Good luck with Teasel, you worked wonders with little Peaches. Here's hoping Daz doesn't neglect his leading lady in favour of 'the new girl'!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Yes, good luck with Teasel - I like the Teddy in her 'nest'! We have a 'nest' under our bed that Jessie made and will still run to if scared, and it's populated with stolen socks, a woolly hat and woollen toys. They do like little confined spaces for security, and if she's used her litter tray that's a good sign and hopefully the food will follow. It's a big change for her and she's obviously a nervous cat, so as long as she does start to eat something I'd give her some time to come to terms with the new environment before getting too worried.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I take your point, Booktigger, but to explain properly - I have always had around 6 cats, and my original family of 6 lived with us from kittenhood to ripe old ages but passed on in the last couple of years (last remaining is Minnie at 19). Although I took on both Basil and Peaches as foster cats, both I and the rescue knew there was a good chance they would stay on as permanent fosters when they came as, one feral and one 9 and with a broken leg, they were in the 'harder to home' category. Once I could see that they had settled in well with the others, I was happy to keep them as they just brought the numbers back up to what we're used to. Teasel herself may, or may not, come into this category - it all depends on how she copes with being here, but at least in the meantime her pen is free for another needy cat through the kitten season and she might benefit from some one-on-one time.

The outdoor pen is different - it belongs to the rescue and any cat that lives in it will do also. They will not get a chance to come inside or settle in with the rest of my gang, so I'm happy I can differentiate.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Madame Teasel came with Teddy, a big fluffy banana, and long thing I cannot name with stretchy legs ..... she has more toys than I do!

Thanks guys, she's very, very sweet and deserves a chance. I've left her pretty much alone for the first couple of days to settle in, but might try wafting some cooked turkey at her tomorrow. I'll see how she is.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Just been to check - she's had some food. :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Crewella wrote:I take your point, Booktigger, but to explain properly - I have always had around 6 cats, and my original family of 6 lived with us from kittenhood to ripe old ages but passed on in the last couple of years (last remaining is Minnie at 19). Although I took on both Basil and Peaches as foster cats, both I and the rescue knew there was a good chance they would stay on as permanent fosters when they came as, one feral and one 9 and with a broken leg, they were in the 'harder to home' category. Once I could see that they had settled in well with the others, I was happy to keep them as they just brought the numbers back up to what we're used to. Teasel herself may, or may not, come into this category - it all depends on how she copes with being here, but at least in the meantime her pen is free for another needy cat through the kitten season and she might benefit from some one-on-one time.

The outdoor pen is different - it belongs to the rescue and any cat that lives in it will do also. They will not get a chance to come inside or settle in with the rest of my gang, so I'm happy I can differentiate.
Ah right - the fact you can differentiate is a big thing - I'm aunty to the fosters, not mum. It does help when they are not part of your family too, although fostering in a pen can be a lot harder than in the house.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh how exciting, Teasel is lovely, hope she settles well and is soon part of your gang. Keep us posted (on the fosters too!) :)
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

You are doing well.
Wish I lived near you I would take one...or two of those rescues.
I only have eight right and my house is empty without that nineth.
Hope all goes well in the future
jill
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Well done, Helen! I'm sure the little girl will come round soon in your expert and loving care. Fusses to her and your gang. Jill, your post made me smile. I think the sad vacancy you hsve for cat 9 will be filled soon!
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Helen. Just wondering how Teasel is doing?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Sorry - it's been a busy week at work!

Teasel is doing fine thanks - she's still hiding, but I've spent hours with my arm stuck down the side of the chest of drawers and after the occasional hiss when I first go in she lets me stroke her, then gets all happy about it and purrs like billy-o and rubs her face right into my hand. I thought I might have pushed her too far today when she suddenly grabbed my hand with both paws ......... and then proceeded to give it a good wash! :)

So, she's obviously been loved at some point and knows all about scritchies, she just needs some time to gain confidence. Already, the difference between the cat crouched in a corner looking at me with huge eyes a few days ago, and the cat who may still be in a corner, but is sitting up and making blinky eyes at me today, is huge.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

That sounds like great progress, if anyone can win her over it's you :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

That's a great update!! Better than I'd expected considering how scared she was when she came to you. How lovely that she grabbed you and gave you a wash :) You must have held your breath for a few moments. Well done you. All your patience and many hours of persistence are paying off. Teasel has got the best possible chance now she's in your care. Keep us updated when you can.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks guys. I've had much less time to spend with her over the last couple of days, but this morning she came to the edge of the chest of drawers while I was fussing her, and then later ventured out at the other end and walked around the room whilst I sat quietly in the corner.

Once I've reached in and made contact with her, she then enjoys the fuss and gains confidence. The real test willl be to see if she can get over that 'first contact' hurdle, and I suspect that will take time.

I'm very grateful to little Peaches, who taught me so much about cat etiquette when she arrived as a feral - her own bodylanguage was (and still is) absolutely textbook, from the blinky eyes, the looking around the room and not at you, to yawning to show how relaxed she is. Just watching her sidle up to Daz when he's eating is a demonstration of perfect feline manipulation ....... and ends up with her nose in his bowl and him looking rather bemused (he wouldn't allow any other cat to do that!).

Hopefully all the 'non-threatening' signals I'm trying to send out will help Teasel to gain confidence, and if not, well, at least I've had a good giggle at myself whilst I'm lounging on the floor and pretending to yawn! :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Just got to laugh Helen at you pretending to yawn :lol:

You've got lots of patience and it certainly looks like it is paying off. I'm so pleased that Peaches taught you so much (cheeky little thing manipulating lovely Daz like that). Even if it is going to be some time before you can make contact with Teasel, she has progressed really well so far. I'm amazed that she was brave enough to walk around the room. That is a massive step for her considering how she had been.

Keep up the good work. And update us when you can. I always look out for this thread to see if there's any news.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

Well done Helen! I hope I have as much luck winning Denver over when he comes to live with me - however, at present, he is curled up very happily on my sofa having a snooze!!! I think he thinks he has moved in already. I can't have him yet though, I'm having a weeks holiday soon and I don't think its fair to get him in, then leave him with a stranger coming round twice a day to feed him so soon.

My late mum always said if she won the Lotto, she would buy a big place with grounds and turn it into a home for unwanted pets - she was a real animal lover! I don't think she could have just fostered though - she would have wanted to keep them all!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's a good plan, and Denver is a very lucky boy that his new mum is so considerate. :)

I've had a very busy week at work so haven't been able to spend so much time with Teasel, but I think it's been good for her and given her a chance to relax. Actually, I think she missed me!

She's eating properly and has moved out from behind the chest and now sleeps in the carrier I left in there for her. She's still wary when you first go to stroke her, but once her ears are being rubbed she'll roll onto her back and wave her paws in the air in bliss. A couple of times, however, she's tried to nip me as I took my hand away again, so at the moment I'm only stroking her head and neck, and trying not to over-stimulate her - give her a chance to relax and get a bit more confidence. Poor lass, she's desperate for a proper fuss but I'd rather keep things calm and positive for now.

She has come out of the crate a couple of times while I've been in the room, and she's getting closer to me each time. It's nice that she's obviously considering coming up to say hello - overall I think she's doing brilliantly. :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

What a lovely update :)

I reckon she'll be on your lap in no time :)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Fantastic update, Helen! Well done!
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I've just read through this thread - one of the many I suspect I've managed to miss due to being busy at work and there not being enough hours in the day!
You've done great work with Teasel. She sounds very much like my Tipsy, who took 7 months to warm up to me and even now 18 months down the line is very skittish if I move too quickly.
I think it's a very rare cat that doesn't respond to love, food and shelter.....eventually, with lots of patience, which you obviously have buckets of.
Well done! :lol:
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Great progress Helen. Teasel is obviously a cat who wants to be loved but is still a little unsure. The thought of her waving her paws in the air whilst rolling on her back is just so lovely. She will soon be coming right up to you to say hello and yes she may even be on your lap before long. Well done. Keep updating us.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks guys. :)

She came up to me when I went in twice yesterday, and than again this morning! She is very conflicted, though. She came right up to me, for a fuss, enjoyed it for a minute, then hissed and ran back to her crate, though she did come back out and eat half her dinner right in front of me last night. Also, I spent an hour or so reading Harry Potter to her yesterday afternoon ........ and by the end I could hear loud snoring coming from her crate!

Bless her, she's obviously trying, so hard. Now I know she'll come up to me I think I'm going to back off a bit and let her come to me and set the pace herself.

I'm finally getting to see what a pretty girl she is now she's coming out more. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well ...... she's definitely setting the pace! Teasel has turned a corner - I heard my first meow this morning, and she's squeaked and come up for a stroke every time I've gone in there today, and not a single hiss!

Sorry if I keep banging on about it, but I'm so pleased for her! She can't have been loved for long, as she's only about 2, she's been in a pen since last year and had at least two litters of feral kittens in someone's garden before that, but she must have been a well-loved pet at some point. It's lovely to see her turning back into what she always should have been - a very sweet, pretty and affectionate little tabby cat. :)
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Great news!

Lucky girl :D :D

Well done you too :D
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Teasel has come a long way already since she "moved in" with you. How lovely. Any further improvements to report?