Growing Whiskers?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Growing Whiskers?

Post by Lilith »

Hey it's been quiet on the forum lately - you might say it's been growing whiskers :)

We're all hibernating here - Mousey in her igloo, Emily on Dead Fred on the bed (her sheepskin) and Molly sprawled in catly sloth on her heated pad under the bed (that's when she's not zonking around like a ginger pingpong ball. What is she ON? Can I have some?)

Shahi Python is asleep in his vivarium; poor chap, it's his mating season and he's fasting; instead of a rat he'd prefer a chick ... not of the day-old variety though ...

Hope everyone (human, furry, feathery and smooth) is staying safe and warm, especially with snow promised for most of us tomorrow.

I always remember the look of horror on the face of one of my Siamese as I walked down the garden one winter's day, and he stood on the doorstep, bawling at me not to be so Silly as to go out in That Stuff - look! It was up to his Ankles! :o

And on a more serious note, a thought for all the ferals out there - good on everyone who's feeding them and providing shelter, and hope this cold spell doesn't last long.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Growing Whiskers?

Post by alanc »

I think Tilly is growing old. When she was 1 year old, she couldn't get out into the snow fast enough and played in it for hours. Today, she looked out the window, turned round and went back to bed!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Well Tasha is currently sleeping in her cosy bed in front of the radiator. She’s feeling a bit fed up because she loves going out and running round chasing the birds :( and stuff, but doesn’t like the cold much. So she has a bit of a run round then stays in, but keeps going to the door and looking at me as if to say, make it warmer lol! I keep telling her that’s something I’m just not capable of. So I’m having to entertain her on and off. The ferals seem ok. Frosty and Perdy use the new big hut we put up for them in the garden this summer, but Dude still won’t use a bed and prefers the little gap with ivy growing between our garage and next doors fence to sleep in!! silly sausage he is. They are all well fed, watered and cared for though. Roll on summer eh?! :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

alanc wrote:I think Tilly is growing old. When she was 1 year old, she couldn't get out into the snow fast enough and played in it for hours. Today, she looked out the window, turned round and went back to bed!
She's not daft! :lol:

There is snow in Donegal and snow in Sligo, but Fermanagh is as clear as a bell - making me feel guilty that I am so stuffed with dinner that I am not up to doing something in the garden, which looks like a tornado has hit it.

Talking of white stuff and tornados, got home to find that Ronnie and Reggie, aka Freddie and Hana have discovered the kitchen towel. Talk about Andrex puppies .... We have our own personal blizzard in the kitchen :roll:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol - good old Tilly and Tasha - mine are the same, even the manic Molly. Yeeessss, I get the same question - 'Lil, can't you turn summer back on?' Glad the feral guys are safe, even if they have daft ways of sheltering ... silly boy!

Lol - the kitchen roll! Mine have never been safe since Molly the killer confetti-kitten ... arrgghh grr! I'm only thankful she's never realised about the bog rolls ... Ronnie and Reggie??? :lol:

How've you all been, weatherwise? The expected blizzard manifested itself in Wakefield in a modest flutter of snowflakes which weren't even enough to take Moll to the window to catch them ... hope all the hysterical headlines have been unfounded and there's been no serious snow.

Snow's very pretty unless you've got to go out into it! :evil:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Well I did some tidying in the garden after all. I took the fruit cage netting down - just in case we DO get a blizzard. Feeling very virtuous now. :D

Ronnie and Reggie - the Kray twins - another couple of villains (but far from sweet and cuddly) What else would you call them, Romulus and Remus, Hengist and Horsa, Titch and Quackers :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol! Bonnie and Clyde ...? :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Little and Large would be about right for my pair
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol I don't know what I'd call my lot - the three mewsances perhaps! :lol:

Snow never happened here, but bitterly cold ... errm why do we get an estimated temperature and then a 'feels like' temp? Either it is or it isn't, surely?

Again hope everyone's safe and warm :)
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Well Bella hasn't been outside since we had her, she was a stray & now likes the good life I think.

Marg.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Lilith wrote:errm why do we get an estimated temperature and then a 'feels like' temp? Either it is or it isn't, surely?
Official temperatures are measured by a thermometer which is in shade and sheltered from wind. If you are not as lucky as the thermometer and have to be out in the wind, it will feel a lot colder than the official temperature.
Lilith wrote:Again hope everyone's safe and warm :)
I second that. No snow where I am, and it's actually quite pretty in the day's sunshine. But I wrap up in multiple layers when I go out, and keep the log burner (AND the central heating) going indoors.

Rocky often sleeps on my bed. He likes to lie against my legs, but then if I turn over he gets disturbed, and goes away in a huff to sleep elsewhere. Last night being cold, I added a blanket on top of the duvet - a soft, fleecy blanket which Rocky loves. He anchored himself in the middle of the bed, and if I wanted to change position, I had to work around him. He wasn't going anywhere.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Marg, I bet Bella is LUXURIATING, bless her - first winter in her forever home :D

Ha, Rocky, I know all about cats like you - taught me to sleep in the foetal position so as to leave most of the bed for the cat ...

Call me a cynic, Mary, but I reckon that temp arrangement protects the DWP from having to hand out cold weather payments for them as needs them ... not me by the way as I inevitably have a ginger footwarmer or two ... :D
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Lilith wrote:Call me a cynic, Mary, but I reckon that temp arrangement protects the DWP from having to hand out cold weather payments for them as needs them ...
They don't need any extra protection. As I recall the rules, the extra payment only happens if the temperature stays constantly below freezing for a set number of days. In Britain, that is extremely rare; it usually gets a degree or so above freezing for an hour around mid-day, and that's enough to cancel the possibility. If whoever made the rules really had people's welfare in mind, they'd have based it on an average temperature, not a constant one.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

The experiences I have had over the years with the likes of DWP etc leaves me thinking most of them have no connections to the real world and live in a superannuated bubble.

A supposed friend in the Job Centre once told me (with all my qualifications, training and experience) that I was unemployable :shock: . Just because I didn't fit in any pigeonhole. :x

Right I'm off to hammer my bank account - weekly shop plus Christmas shopping! Must remember to buy extra kitchen towels, I seem to have used a lot for some reason .... :?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Lilith wrote: How've you all been, weatherwise? The expected blizzard manifested itself in Wakefield in a modest flutter of snowflakes which weren't even enough to take Moll to the window to catch them ... hope all the hysterical headlines have been unfounded and there's been no serious snow.

Snow's very pretty unless you've got to go out into it! :evil:
Same here in Barnsley, they got that wrong didn’t they :lol: Snow most of Sunday it said, we had a couple of hours of light snow, thankfully. I thought I was going to have to dig a footpath to the ferals hut! but it just settled on the grass mainly.
shazxx50
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by shazxx50 »

We had plenty of snow in Bedfordshire
Puddle wasnt impressed, wouldnt go out, she is a indoor puss, but i wanted to see what she
would do......didnt even put a paw out......turned around and back on the sofa
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yup, the DWP used to be called Department of Health and Social Security ... now modern newspeak calls it Department of Work and Pensions and hires cowboy outfits like Atos to cheat and brainwash rightful applicants and claimants out of their rights .... grrrrrr! Operative word being 'work' even if you can't get it or are unable and if so you're a criminal :evil: :evil: :evil:

(Sorry for rant, but ... :twisted: )

Yeah, they definitely got it wrong for Yorkshire, sorry the South got some serious snow though. Ice and snow around tomorrow it's said ... good luck to us all! :)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Tilly finally had to go out in the snow for urgent business in the vegetable patch. Delicately picked her way over the humps and hollows of the drystone wall masked by snow, then managed to put her back paw through the ice in the pond (its not very deep, only comes up to her hock). She was not amused. As it was the leg she damaged 4.5 years ago, I was a bit concerned, but it was only her dignity that suffered!
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Talking of snow............I was away at a Warner Hotel near Hereford over the weekend, (my sister in Law looked after Bella) we got snowed in on Sunday, 8 inches of snow, most of the staff couldn't get in, we had a wonderful time, made a snow man, walked in the heaviest snow storm, no staff to man the coffee shops so the chefs cooked for us, at night during the entertainment we had a power cut, so we had a sing song, singing carols, then on Monday we had to come home but no one could get their car out so the staff had to dig us all out, it was such a great weekend.

Marg.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That sounds like a lovely adventure! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ooops poor Tilly! Vegetable garden? You mean she sits down in the cabbages and peas?? :o :lol:

Marg , that staff sounds great - glad they turned what could have been a crisis into something heartwarming - Warner Hotels should be proud of them, glad you enjoyed your weekend :)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Ooops poor Tilly! Vegetable garden? You mean she sits down in the cabbages and peas?? :o :lol:
Well, not exactly, more like dig holes and plant logs!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:lol:

Reminds me of the story I once heard of the guy who wanted some strong manure for his runner beans and got a load of tiger-dung from the local zoo ...

The beans perished but the poles burst into leaf ... :shock: :?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Ria learning about snow. It's her second winter, but I don't think we had any snow last year, and it's the first that has fallen here this winter.
Ria in snow.jpg
Rocky has more sense - he's staying in front of the fire.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi folks been hearing about the weather you’re having - snowing London & Wales. Hope you & your fur babes staying warm. Marg your weekend away sounded like good old-fashioned fun. :D Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, lovely Ria! Well, she's a Norwegian Forest, isn't she, so she Norwegian Would! Chasing all the scurrying little micicles! :D

Hi Vivian, I envy you in sunny Queensland isn't it? And my mate Adrian who's in the Caribbean just at present (sigh!) Mind you I remember your heatwave last year - a bit TOO hot that must have been, with what were then the three Pussketeers sleeping in the shower for coolth. :o :)
Last edited by Lilith on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Called in to see a friend of mine this morning. He is just back from Egypt. When he got on the plane over there it was 35°, when he arrived in Dublin it was -8°!!! He said he had a good mind to get on the next plane back. :lol: :lol:

We had a thunder storm last night that woke every one - except me. Almost like the good old days when I could sleep through ANYTHING. I really hope it doesn't freeze tonight. There is so much standing water around here the whole place could easily become a giant ice rink!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

This was Tilly's first encounter with snow as a 10month old kitten, 7 years ago. Quite a contrast to how she views it now in sedate middle age!
Tilly in snow IMG_4087.jpg
Badger had a much more serious outlook on life and stayed indoors!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Folks yes Lilith sunny Qld. We’ve been lucky so far with heat - humidity’s the issue. Feb is the killer month - heat & humidity. I was dripping after vacuuming & washing floors yesterday. I’d love to see a kitty with snow - maybe something to add to the bucket list aligned with a white Xmas. Sue did you need to get the ice skates out :lol: Talking of thunder storms we’ve also not had too many of these thus far. They usually hit around 3-4pm just before finishing work where you get drenched & peak hour traffic means a car park!! Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

In the end - no. It was a lovely day today, but everywhere is soaked!