2 new kittens

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

2 new kittens

Post by lazarus »

Went to visit the lady to see the kittens we were to get at 12 weeks old non pedigree/moggies two days ago, they are currently 8 weeks old. On entering the house it was ...putting it politely ...bogging. Barely room to swing a cat, and had the look of a hoarders household.
The place was quite smelly to be honest. The lady said mum cat was starting to ignore her kittens and the two half full food bowls in the middle of living room floor looked like they hadn't been washed in days. Mum cat looked healthy enough, on picking up the kittens which were fine being held I had a good search on them for fleas, surprisingly I couldn't find any on both of them, they both looked in good health.

The lady jokingly (I think) suggested we could take them now as their antics were getting too much for her and mum cat, my wife and l looked at each other and agreed there and then. Fortunately we had a new cat carrier in the car as the one she offered was so greasy at bits.

I think we were doing the kittens a favour by taking them earlier and away from what I considered unhygenic surroundings.
Since kittens have been here they have both settled in well playing & play fighting as kittens do, using litter tray and Eating is not much of a problem, I wanted to try and get them into a routine of feeding times. Should I wake them if they are sleeping for feed, from what I've read should be 4 times a day for their age. 7.30 am 11.30am 3.30 pm and last of the day 7.30 pm is. Usually the 3.30 pm they are snoozing, either I wake them or miss this feed out, they don't seem too fussy about the afternoon feed tbh.

Appointment at vet''s tomorow to register and have them checked over.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 2 new kittens

Post by Lilith »

Ohh... :(

I think you did do right, bringing them away! That is awful, it's an illness in itself, when people can't cope, but they DO need to consider the needs of their pets if they have them :(

You will get into a routine with feeding - and the little horrors themselves will soon perk up and train you :lol:

My slogan when living with kitties -

If the kittens won't do
What you want them to do
Then the thing to do IS
What the kittens want to do!

They'll tell you when it's feeding time.

Hopefully other people will advise more as well - all the very best and congrats on the new arrivals :)
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

Why is it young kittens can find the most awkward hidey holes and get in then find they can't get out of?
I have fairly expensive oak sideboard in sitting room, they both went underneath, I left them to it expecting them out minutes later, after a few min of silence I could find them. Looking underneath the sideboard there was no sign of them, opened the top drawer and there they were. Unknown to me there was a tiny access to the drawers

I had to empty the sideboard lay it on its back to block the access, should have called them Dennis and menace
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh I know!

But that is elementary, Lazarus, compared to snakes ... :o :shock:

My royal python once did a runner when I was cleaning him out and I turned that room UPSIDE DOWN! Was just returning, sweating with terror (because I didn't want him to get cold and torpid and die in isolation heaven knew where) from depositing the last minutely examined load of clothes etc in the back bedroom, when I saw a Head poking out from behind the radiator ... ohh yes. there he was, the villain!

A member on here posted a wonderful cartoon of herself calling her cat in late at night and getting quite emotional ... and then the little beggar snuck up behind her and tapped her with his paw, been in the house all the time ... Catslave, if you're around, please re-post because it was superb :D

Cats eh? :D :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ha - found it!

https://www.catchat.org/felineforum/dow ... hp?id=2592

Brilliant - we've all been there done that!

Hey Catslave, how you doing?

Wait till you're doing this, Lazarus - though hope they won't be such a nuisance :)
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

:D :D
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Aha - that's when you need Sophy, the cat search and rescue papillon, who finds invisible cats in less than three minutes!

Congratulations on the new kittens - it sounds as if they are making themselves thoroughly at home.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Sophy is a dog in a million! :D

Mind you I'm certain cats are capable of being in two places at once ... :o

And once this was proved ... honest, guys, this DID happen, and I had a witness too.

Late 1985 and I was married then (to a sweet guy who's still my friend) and living in another house. My first Siamese, Jacinth, had had her first litter in September; one evening we were in the tiny front room that was the kitten room. Jassy and two kittens were asleep on the hearthrug; the remaining three were galloping about upstairs. The other cats and the dog were at the back in the big living room; Jassy was a bit territorial.

As it got later, Adrian (husband) said, 'aren't you going to bring those kittens down? They'll need their tray.' I agreed and went up to get them. No sign of them. So I left them. The minute I sat down again, gallop gallop of tiny feet in the bedroom above. Eventually I went up for them again ... again no sign. Again I sat down and again they started to race around ... And when I went up again the little gits were hiding again ...

This could have gone on all night, except that I happened to go into the corner of the front room where their big wicker basket was, and find the missing three ... fast asleep.

And upstairs still, the gallop gallop of tiny paws :o :shock: :?

I swear, all the other animals were in the back room. We certainly didn't have rats. The front room door had been closed; it was a cold night. The house was an end terrace and our neighbour was single and liked to go down the pub every night. So no rational explanation for the noise, except that I believe this sort of thing has happened before; that buildings can 'replay' noises, voices, even presences.

But cats, well, cats are capable of anything ... :shock: :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Congratulations on your new family members! I'm a couple of months ahead of you when it comes to twin kittens, let me just say - you are in for a fun time! :roll:

Tried out the washing machine yet? Explored the shelves? Climbed the curtains?

Take lots of photos - and don't forget to post them on here! :D
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

Bree the female is a fussy little madam with her food, at the moment she is on whiskas, I know it is not the best but i'm told its what she was being fed when we got her so I thought best to keep her on it for a few days. She absolutely turns her nose up at Whiskas, Gourmet and Sheba kitten foods, the only way way I could get her to eat was break up a very little bit of gammon my wife had cooked and sprinkle it in with her food, it was the only way I could ensure she would eat all the kitten food. I'm not to sure gammon is the best thing for her.
I have a delivery coming tomorrow from Zooplus with a variety of wet kitten foods and flavours, Animonda, Feringa so let's hope madam will like one of these. Barley the male, he will wolf down anything put down for him.

They both see the vet in a hours time for their first check etc so we will see what he suggests. I'll post some photos later.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

some vets have been known to recommend whatever food they are currently being paid commision for shifting - Hills is the usual offender

you might find it pays to find yourself a local stray to hang around your garden and eat up anything the kittens leave - same strays of course immediately become super fussy if they find a home - it's what cats do :D :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:lol: ... and then the stray moves in ... :lol:
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

Vets report Barley is healthy and no problems, Bree has a very slight heart murmur. Vet said she is not too concerned at the moment with the type of murmur as this can disappear any time up to 5 or 6 months. Her own kitten had this but it cleared up OK. Other than that she is OK. Weight about normal for their age, vaccinations next week.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey, glad about Barley, and as for Bree, my Mouse (silly nickname) has a heart murmur too; she too had a poor beginning but soon turned into a great lolloping healthy lass who's now almost 16 and who sailed through a dental and radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism last year - she's still in marvellous condition and hope she's with us for many years yet :)

Fusses to the kitties - so glad they've found a good home with you :D
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Considering I could mislay all 8kg of my Maine Coon Badger indoors, I am not surprised you can't find a small kitten every now and then! It is surprising how small a space even a big cat can get into. (I had to take all the panels off from beneath the kitchen cabinet to retrieve him once.)
Whilst it is not ideal for kittens to leave home at 8 weeks, I think you have done the right thing. Anyway, my first cat, Sally, left home at 8 weeks (dumped by the roadside) and became a perfectly well adjusted cat (and champion mouser) - she was nearly 18 when she died. As a kitten she was quite happy to eat anything (later on, she learnt to be a bit more fussy).
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I found Willow when she was about a week old (her eyes were not fully open) and Bob was only about three weeks old when OH found him. Neither has suffered from their bumpy start. Willow will be 14 this May.

It is getting hard to tell the kittens from Bob and Wills. They are almost as big as Willow now!
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

Introducing the new kitties. Not sure if this will work, I couldnt gett bbcode to work, I suspect it is at Flickr's end.
Barley
Barley-1 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/50387619@N00/

Bree
Bree by https://www.flickr.com/photos/50387619@N00/,

Barley & Bree
Barley+Bree by https://www.flickr.com/photos/50387619@N00/
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

AWWWWWW!!!! :D :D :D
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

that one of them together is just wonderful

make sure you keep it handy to show them when they're bashing the living daylights out of each other :lol:
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I love the one of them snuggling together - definitely need a large, framed copy to remind you of how sweet they can be when kitten pandemonium strikes!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Soooo sweet! I have pictures of Fred and Billy all cosy like that. Next minute they are rolling up the hall in a yowling ball of legs and tails. :shock:
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Aw thanks for re-posting my cartoon Lilith. Glad it still amuses. I'm posting the poem that I sent you privately and that amused you too in 'General Cat Chatting'.
Haven't been around for a while due to health probs and depression etc, but am recovering. At least the days are getting longer now...
The kittens are adorable.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

lazarus wrote:Introducing the new kitties.
They are gorgeous!
Barley and Bree - I can think of a Lord of the Rings connection. Or did the names come from somewhere else?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

catslave16 wrote:Aw thanks for re-posting my cartoon Lilith. Glad it still amuses. I'm posting the poem that I sent you privately and that amused you too in 'General Cat Chatting'.
Haven't been around for a while due to health probs and depression etc, but am recovering. At least the days are getting longer now...
The kittens are adorable.
HI!!!! :D

Hope you're feeling a bit better now x
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

MarySkater wrote:
lazarus wrote:Introducing the new kitties.
They are gorgeous!
Barley and Bree - I can think of a Lord of the Rings connection. Or did the names come from somewhere else?
TBH my wife wanted Barley for the ginger white, I immediately thought of a nearby pub called The Barley Bree so I got to name the female kitten :D :D
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

lazarus wrote: TBH my wife wanted Barley for the ginger white, I immediately thought of a nearby pub called The Barley Bree so I got to name the female kitten :D :D
Fair enough. Still a pub connection in LotR - a village called Bree, and the local landlord is known as Barley. :)
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

:D :D I didn't know that, wait till I tell my wife, she didn't like Lotr :D :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

MarySkater wrote:
lazarus wrote: TBH my wife wanted Barley for the ginger white, I immediately thought of a nearby pub called The Barley Bree so I got to name the female kitten :D :D
Fair enough. Still a pub connection in LotR - a village called Bree, and the local landlord is known as Barley. :)
You know your LotR Mary! I got into terrible trouble, at the stables where I used to ride. My favourite horse was a fat, black Cob called Oliver. I always called him Fatty Lumpkin (Tom Bombadil's pony). I once called out ' hi there Fatty, how's it hanging?' He replied with a whinny. The stable owner - who was standing behind him replied with something a little more ripe! :oops: :lol:

BTW Bree was also the name of the horse in CS Lewis's 'The Horse and his Boy'. Right, enough usless trivia for one day! Sorry for the hijack Lazarus!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

lazarus wrote: :D :D I didn't know that, wait till I tell my wife, she didn't like Lotr :D :D
Not everybody does; I have no problem with that. I can see that that sort of fantasy won't be to everyone's taste. (And there aren't any cat characters! :D Although some named dogs and horses.) I know the books very well, not the films so much. Peter Jackson took too many liberties with the plot for my liking.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

bobbys girl wrote: BTW Bree was also the name of the horse in CS Lewis's 'The Horse and his Boy'.
Oh yes, I'd forgotten Bree from Narnia! (And that Bree would not forgive me - he had a high sense of his own importance!)
bobbys girl wrote: I once called out ' hi there Fatty, how's it hanging?'
Lines from a song in Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Sunset Boulevard:" "Hi there Myron, how's it hanging?" And since I saw the show two days ago ;) that has rather stuck in my head!