Snow Joke

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Snow Joke

Post by Ruth B »

Its been nice spring sunshine in our little suntrap of a back garden today and all four kitties have been out enjoying it at various times.

Tomorrow they are forecasting snow. If it does arrive, by this time tomorrow I will have some very annoyed, bored, cats wanting to know where the sun has gone.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Ours have been in all day, it's ppp persisting down! :lol:

Mind you Billy did get out, briefly, don't know how. :D He came running in soaking wet!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Yup, it's not clement weather. Tomorrow's forecast is awful, and I'm hoping they've got it wrong. The last time this happened lorry drivers were trapped on the M62 over the Pennines and if it hadn't been for a wagon belonging to a bakery chain, whose driver distributed doughnuts, pies etc, they wouldn't have had any food ... Someone I know is a long-distance delivery driver; he lives in a much more exposed bit of W Yorks where they can be snowed in; in the last bad snow he refused to go in to work one day as it wasn't so much a case of getting to work and out on the road as a question of getting back. He lost a day's pay, but what's a day's pay compared to risking your life? Another employee did go in, and got sent out, and got stuck, and arrived home at 3am the following day ... he couldn't work that day - and he too lost a day's pay.

In the USA and other countries where thick snow and blizzards are the norm, they have those snow blowing lorries and snowploughs out as a matter of course; here in the UK where it's sporadic, people are expected to 'battle on' with not much relief, snow-clearing wise, due to council cuts, stiff upper lip and all that - and risk their lives for their jobs?

Ooops sorry for rant, but makes you think. I don't think things have progressed much since this -

https://youtu.be/-ugIoMD495E

In 1955, on the moors above Darlington, a goods train was immobilised in the blizzards and it took five days to dig it out.

Stirring stuff, but things don't seem to have changed much do they?

Again, good luck to us all, our ferals AND unfortunate humans sleeping rough, and also people who have to get out into the weather in order to try and keep a job and a roof over their heads ...
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Not hit here yet, actually not a bad morning after all the rain yesterday. We are the same, an East wind blows open the cat flap and fills the hall with leaves! :? Billy took advantage of that and wormed his way through the flap. I saw his tail disappear, counted to ten and went after him. He was a good boy and came back when I called him.

Oooh spoke too soon. It's gone very dark! :(
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Just starting to snow this morning, only a few flakes drifting in the breeze at the moment. We went to Asda this morning, our normal Saturday run, and Stroppy was trying to get out the front door when we unloaded. We don't allow the cats out the front normally, if they can get there themselves over the fence there is a good chance they can get back and access the cat flap. Last week Stroppy did manage to get past us and we had a fun few minutes trying to herd her around the car so we could get her back inside. Today she took one look outside and turned back into the lounge, looking very put out with half a dozen snowflakes slowly melting on her head.

As for our ability to cope, it is the randomness of it that is our main problem, if we knew we were going to get serious snow each year people would be more prepared. It isn't only the council that isn't willing to spend the money, how many people actually change to proper winter tyres or have snow chains available. We also look at countries like Russia and comment on how well they cope with snow, however having had a boss whose wife came from St Petersburg, I did hear that Russia has exactly the same problem when they get the first snow of the year, everything grinds to a halt for a week while everyone readjusts, then they can get on as normal knowing the snow will be there for months. In this country we suffer that first week of snow problem every time it snows.

As for going in or losing a day's pay, better to be safe at home and lose one days pay than spend 6 weeks on SSP due to an accident when you tried to get in. Our council cancelled the bin collection last time it snowed, there were alot of complaints, but it isn't just the drivers you need to think about, its the men walking behind collecting the bins as well. Also it isn't that long ago that we all saw the news and the carnage a bin lorry makes when it gets out of control. I would rather have over full bins and a spare black bag to be picked up than risk anything like that happening.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I have just taken the dogs for a quick walk by the river - sunshine and a few flakes while we were walking, but by the time I stopped the car at the cross roads on the way home and wound down the windows to listen for traffic (blind bends both sides) the snow was coming down fast and horizontally - the wind blew it in one window and out the other! It has gone now - Sophy reckons there is someone up there waiting for her to put her nose out of the door before shaking down more, though. Tilly is sensibly on her favourite snoozing spot by the radiator, Pippin is no doubt in his near permanent spot on the window sill upstairs, but the dogs think I should sort the weather out and take them for a proper hike!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I saw a fascinating programme about the train sevices in Japan. Boy, those people could teach us a thing or two! They have special little engines that keep the tracks clear.

Mind you they are also able to replace 100 metres of track OVERNIGHT and install bridges over lines overnight! And, unlike the one in the US they don't fall down.

If I had a hat, I'd take it off! :D

Sun here at the moment, but cold Easterly wind. We are so far West it may have run it's course by the time it reaches us - for a change!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh yes indeed - 'Lil - would you please turn the summer back on? We want to go OUT!'

And the tale of the cat who refused to go out of the back door when it was raining, but went hopefully to the front and bawled, in the belief that it wouldn't be raining THERE ...

Hey Ruth, that's amazing, Russia slows down too? Oh yes, I meant all the people who have to work in bad snow, on foot too, even if it's only walking to the bus stop and waiting for the thing in the cold and, worse still, if conditions are worse, queuing up for that bus in the evening and hoping against hope that a) it comes and b) gets there. I used to live in a rural area and I don't drive. Snow tyres/chains ought ideally to be fitted, but if you're driving the firm's wagon, will the firm have bothered? My only consolation is that the guy I mentioned will be out of the amber area in W Yorks while the worst is forecast, just hoping he gets back through this evening ...

In the meantime, it's St Patrick's, couldn't let that go without a mention - here is the Bothy Band -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GQibSm-Z2g

Jig and two reels - Leitrim Fancy, Round the World for Sport and Rip the Calico (aka Molly on the Duvet.)

I almost typed 'Molly on the Vet' :o (Yes, if I had to take her, heaven forbid, that's probably what would happen!)

Also Molly's tune - the Strayaway Child' - https://youtu.be/tvQWAByuHPU

Happy (and safe) St Pat's! :D
Last edited by Lilith on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yep, just gearing up for the six nations match - sorry guys, I'm a'wearing the green! A pint of the black stuff for me and a plate of Donegal Bay oysters fer the man. (and don't anyone dare say ' top o' the mornin' to yer' :shock: )
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol Bobbys girl, so am I, in honour of my Dubliner forbears, horsedealers, Sinn Feiners and Guinness brewers.

The cats are celebrating with a sardine lunch.

Did I say Guinness??? :o Oh shucks ... forgot to get the Guinness! :oops:

Never mind - I do happen to have some of the ould Special O' Brew to hand ... Slainnte! :D

Oh, and TOP O' THE MORNING TO YER! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Could you hear that in Fermanagh?) :lol:
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

And the tale of the cat who refused to go out of the back door when it was raining, but went hopefully to the front and bawled, in the belief that it wouldn't be raining THERE ...
Yes Lilith, that was what my Sally did - always hoped it wasn't raining at both doors!
Just back from getting soaked in the Emerald Isle last week (horizontal type rain) so not happy seeing it snowing this morning when I went to pick up Tilly from the cattery. Fortunately not enough to cause any serious bother. Once home, Tilly had her breakfast, looked out the window and went back to bed!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

The dogs have been mithering me to go out - they got 10 yards from the front door and came racing back again because it was too cold and too windy and too much snow! I've given in, and am playing rainy day games of Hunt the Treat with the dogs, while Tilly-cat sits and looks superior, an adult indulging the children...
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Well, they've withdrawn the amber warning from W Yorks - and now it's pelting, folks! :o

Lol Alan, sensible Tilly. My Shahi-python's the same, in fact he's shuffled his cool end hide to the middle of his vivarium and is still in winter non-eating mode - otherwise it would have been so cool to have photographed him scoffing his (prekilled) white rat and to have photoshopped it green for St Pat's! :lol:

Fjm my sympathies to the dogs, but I remember you mentioning the poodle standing on tiptoe in the snow ... would NOT like this.

I used to have a wirehaired Jack Russell who was a little toughie in snow, mud, you name it, but take her into the back garden in a downpour for the last thing at night call of nature and she'd huddle and whinge and ohh nooo, mercy! Little horror! I remember walking her on an old opencast site and she plunged into a murky pool and emerged like the monster from the black lagoon! And as for the walk up the canal where the anglers had had to answer a call of nature in the bushes ... urrgh, we won't go into that.:o I used to chuck her into the canal to wash the worst off (she loved to swim so why all the fuss over a drop of rain?)

Pets, eh?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Ruth B wrote:As for our ability to cope, it is the randomness of it that is our main problem, if we knew we were going to get serious snow each year people would be more prepared. It isn't only the council that isn't willing to spend the money, how many people actually change to proper winter tyres or have snow chains available. We also look at countries like Russia and comment on how well they cope with snow, however having had a boss whose wife came from St Petersburg, I did hear that Russia has exactly the same problem when they get the first snow of the year, everything grinds to a halt for a week while everyone readjusts, then they can get on as normal knowing the snow will be there for months. In this country we suffer that first week of snow problem every time it snows.
Well said. It's the unpredictability of our weather that exacerbates the problem. I don't drive, but I understand that if you drive on tarmac with snow chains, you ruin your tyres...? How often does it happen in Britain that you'll be on snow from start to finish of your journey?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Lilith wrote:
Oh, and TOP O' THE MORNING TO YER! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Could you hear that in Fermanagh?) :lol:
Unfortunately, yes! :lol: :lol:

Great match, great atmosphere in the pub. Little girls with green headbands and ribbons, little (and not so little) boys in green football and rugby shirts. Not one but three TV's on the go.

Outside it's sunny but really, really cold.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh good, was afraid it might be muffled by the snow :P

Got the amber warning wrong - it's still in force and it's coming down like mad here - but should have stopped by dawn.

Just have to cosy up - and hope everyone else is managing to do the same :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh and a little more music ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC5aJj04FDI

Shane Macgowan sounds to have had quite a few Special O' Brews ... but it's getting late, after all ...

Slainnte! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

He's three sheets to the wind at the best of times.

Had a great evening, lovely Paddy's Day. :D
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Tilly ventured out this morning, but not for long:
Tilly in snow P1140747.JPG
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Nice shot alan! Still no snow here, bright, sunny but freezing!!!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Brrrrrr - that looks even colder than here, Alan! My Tilly is sprawled on the back of the sofa against the radiator - her favourite spot at the moment. Pippin is still in purdah in the study. Dogs did a quick toilet dash first thing and are now snuggled down, but we are going to have to brave the elements sooner or later. I may take them to the park - reasonably sheltered, and has a nice warm cafe that welcomes dogs inside!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

About 4" of snow here this morning, I took a ruler out when I took the waste from the litter trays out to the bin and measured it. Two kitties on the bed, one on a chair and Saturn looking out of the dining room window then looking at me to say 'why don't you make it stop and go away'. At least one cat has been out as there is a trail of pawprints over the garden table and onto the fence.

On a slightly different note there is a wargames show about half a mile from us today which we normally go to. My OH brother has come up from Bristol for the weekend and another friend is down form the Yorkshire Dales. Walking to the show shouldn't be a problem, although i have chickened out this year as there is nothing i'm after, but we are hoping that the roads are cleared so everyone can get home safely.

It does look like it has stopped snowing now (right on time according to the Met Office site), so hopefully it will be an improving picture throughout the day.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Measured up Tilly's back leg, we have about 4" here as well - at least round the back. Lot less round the front as a cold easterly wind has been transporting the snow from front to back.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

HEAVY snow during the night - tyremarks on the street just kept being obliterated - and we still have yellow warnings for snow and ice, but by 10am it was melting from the gardens and now it's almost gone despite temps of -6c, so hope everyone else is getting back to normal.

Alan that's a marvellous photo - hey I forgot to ask, which part of Ireland did you go to?

Hey Bobbys girl glad you had a good time - I couldn't sleep and was still listening to the Bothy Band at 3am :D

(On low volume I hasten to add - didn't want to wake anyone up. Shahi slept right through the whole thing anyway but then I don't suppose snakes do celebrate St Pat's ...)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I think that was one of my better efforts at getting a photo of Tilly in the snow!
Lilith - I was at Silvermines (Co Tipperary) and Avoca (Co Wicklow) inspecting the condition of the disused mines which I do yearly for the Irish Government. Usually manage better weather for it than this year, though!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi folks we have a prominent radio announcer here, Alan Jones, who did a rush trip last week to Exeter, UK, for a family funeral. Back on radio today mentioned weather was pleasant last week but more like Siberia over the weekend.

Sounds like all had a great St Paddy’s day. Alan agree great pic. Btw Lilith we’re now the ‘Famous 5 from Oz’. Exotic Oriental x Pebbles didn’t find her furever home at Petstock so back with me. Her pic’s up on Little Paws Kitten Rescue’s Facebook reclining in my bathroom sink. Hint Hint if you want to follow. I’ll try & post the pic later. Hope the weather eases for you all soon. Vivian
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Hi Vivian. That Alan Jones chap was fortunate to get out when he did - there have been lots of people stuck on the A30 west of Exeter last night. We also have Radio 4's sports commentator stuck in Oxfordshire and broadcasting from his home today.
Meanwhile , on far more important matters, Tilly ventured out twice, decided it was too cold and came back in again. She has gone back upstairs to bed in disgust!
Looking forward to the piccy of the new addition.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Alan he returned to London on Fri to a 5-Star hotel & was caught in a protest. I think he got off @ St James Stn, caught a cab to the hotel ... cost £60.. usual 25min ride took 2+hrs. About to post pic of Pebbles wish me luck. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

STILL no snow - we'll probably get it at Easter, when the rest of the country is basking in sun!

Local weather report said there would be a hard frost, so I turned off the timer on the stream for my Koi. Cold but not even frosty let alone ice and very unhappy fish. Like me they don't know if they are coming or going. I feel like going back to bed and pulling the covers over my head until the Spring actually arrives (not the Met Office Spring)

Now I have a broken tooth to add to the hilarity, and all the dentists are shut today as this year's Paddy's Day is three days long! :shock: So it's tepid soup for me - or something equally revolting. :cry: Still, worse things happen at sea - or Devon. :?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Wow Alan that sounds like a special kind of job - NOT run of the mill!

Mayday, seen the photo on your Pebbles thread - she's gorgeous! Congrats on the Famous Five!

Ouch Bobbys girl, sorry to hear about the tooth. Ugh, teeth, why can't we just shed them and regrow them like snakes? Quite often, getting a a hefty prey down, they dislodge and swallow some teeth; once I was bitten by a young gopher snake and found tiny glass-like splinters in my finger ... she regrew them fast enough if subsequent nips were anything to go by. Humans aren't terribly well designed - good luck at the dentist's!

Well the snow's gone here - hope everyone else is seeing the last of it :)