I'm losing beloved Gandhi

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

I'm losing beloved Gandhi

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

2 years to the day since my Wee geezer Armand died, swiftly followed 4 weeks later by sweet wee Cody, my beloved hooligan of a cat, Gandhi has been diagnosed with early onset kidney disease. We know cat's kidneys do not regenerate, his condition is terminal and all the pills and 'prescription' foods in the world won't help. Cody died a hellish 10 days after diagnosis and rehydration therapy. It breaks out hearts but we will not let dear Gandhi get to that stage. Dear God but I'm going to miss him. Throughout my lifetime, I have loved all my cats, each one unique, but whenever anyone has asked me how I feel about Gandhi, I've truthfully answered 'I can't explain it,but from day one he cemented himself forever in a corner of my heart'. I have to go, my heart is breaking and I don't want him to see me upset.

Issi
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: I'm losing beloved Gandhi

Post by Lilith »

Oh Issi :cry:

Hugs and lots of fusses to the lad x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear this, but early onset kidney disease isn't that bad, my Lucy was diagnosed with it 12 months ago and just changing her dry to renal put her back in normal limits after 3 months and she's not the only one I've had that 'success' with, so you could have years left with him yet
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm sure, as booktigger says, there is time yet. I had another year with Tommy after the diagnosis. (Hugs) Sue xx
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Well I have had a damn good cry, out of earshot of Gandhi, and spoke to the Vet again. He said at the moment he sees no reason to change my boy's food but I have to take a urine sample [!?] then he can assess whether medication would be helpful. If there is no protein he doesn't, if there is a surfeit, he does. Lovely Vet [he really is a compassionate man] told me that dear Gandhi wasn't backed up but I know my boy. He has megacolon and when he passes a few little plugs, we know he is feeling unwell, in pain. So I gave him an extra dose of lactulose today and nice firm heap of jobbies came sliding out. I tell you this not to gross you out but to say I heeded your helpful tale, Booktigger, collected Royal Canin individual flavours of Renal wet food from Vet and dear contrary Gandhi has, this evening wolfed down 2 pouches! Appears to be feeling much better for pooping and eating, is now draped around my husbands neck at the back of the sofa, fast asleep and snoring gently. I was tremendously upset at the loss of Armand and Cody, it was literally, a bolt from the blue. I was grieving over my Wee Geezer while literally watching beautiful Cody die. Many of you will have been there in one form or another. I don't know how long we will have our dear boy with us, but will continue to seek solace and accept advice freely given from my virtual friends on Catchat. For now, I am going to make sure beloved Gandhi has a healthy and happy life for as long as possible while preparing for his eventual loss.. but he will not suffer.

Issi
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm glad you are feeling more positive and he must be really early stages if the vet didn't even want to change his food. I get Lucy's from zooplus, she isn't supposed to have renal as it can make her hypercalcemia worse, so I give her a Royal canin dry that also has psyllium husk which would help his megacolon. Lucy has 50g pouches of wet food as she won't eat full size ones, yet she will happily eat a full pouch of renal food! Could you ask what his urea and creatinine values are? I do hope you get a decent amount of time with him.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Take heart ... I felt shocked with disbelief and upset when Blackie was first diagnosed with CKD. "Early stage" meant nothing to me. Well, Blackie is still here 4 years later - thanks to a different vet putting him on a phosphate binder. Undoubtedly your vet will come up with the right answer - there are so many things that can be done to help cats with CKD these days.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Jan wrote:Take heart ... I felt shocked with disbelief and upset when Blackie was first diagnosed with CKD. "Early stage" meant nothing to me. Well, Blackie is still here 4 years later - thanks to a different vet putting him on a phosphate binder. Undoubtedly your vet will come up with the right answer - there are so many things that can be done to help cats with CKD these days.
Can't believe its been 4 years! I'd love Lucy to have that long
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Issi feel your heartache dear friend but take solace in Booktigger’s & Jan’s posts.

I’ll add Little Paws looks after an 18-yr old Abbysinnian, Silly Tilley, who was diagnosed with kidney failure last year. Deb had her put on a drip for 24-hrs when 1st diagnosed & she was like a new cat. On Mon we took her to the vet for another drip treatment. Deb’s away for Easter & I’m charged with feeding the oldies at midday. Yesterday Silly Tilley woofed down a pouch of Whiskas Sardine & Tuna loaf & hopped down from where she’s fed to do some exploring round the yard & check out the other oldies.

Give Gandhi lots of fusses from me & the Famous Five from Oz. And if you’ve seen my post about Madam Pebbles I’m slowly teaching her I’m boss.. the spray water bottle helps & she’s locked in my 3rd bedroom when I’m out & at night. Snow Girl’s doing some growling atm & Harper’s had a few hisses. At least TC’s not being picked on... Wed on arriving home found him cowering under my bed hence the I’m boss strategy!!!

Vivian
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

booktigger wrote:I'm glad you are feeling more positive and he must be really early stages if the vet didn't even want to change his food. I get Lucy's from zooplus, she isn't supposed to have renal as it can make her hypercalcemia worse, so I give her a Royal canin dry that also has psyllium husk which would help his megacolon. Lucy has 50g pouches of wet food as she won't eat full size ones, yet she will happily eat a full pouch of renal food! Could you ask what his urea and creatinine values are? I do hope you get a decent amount of time with him.
Hi honey, dear Gandhi is looking much better today, slept very well for the first time in months, no dandruff, vomiting etc. Unfortunately, being the Easter holidays, we can't get any more renal food from the Vet so will order on Amazon. I've often tried him [Gandhi not the Vet] with Royal Canin Fibre Response Dry and yes, it helped a lot, stools would come cleanly whistling out...but...his coat became very dull, he moulted, had a severe case of dandruff and threw it up nightly. Of course this could have been part and parcel of his ongoing condition, he also has thyroid problems although that is well under control. However, I still have an unopened bag so will try a very little in his bowl today. As for your medical question, I've absolutely no idea. The Practice squeezed us in immediately but had many emergencies running in to the waiting room. My husband answered the 'phone to get results of Gandhi's blood test and in typical retired teacher's fashioned, told me sod all. When I phoned yesterday, poor Vets and their team had another busy day topped with the annual inspection so I only asked the basics.

Issi
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Jan wrote:Take heart ... I felt shocked with disbelief and upset when Blackie was first diagnosed with CKD. "Early stage" meant nothing to me. Well, Blackie is still here 4 years later - thanks to a different vet putting him on a phosphate binder. Undoubtedly your vet will come up with the right answer - there are so many things that can be done to help cats with CKD these days.
Unfortunately, nothing could be done for my sweet Cody. She was such a little bonnie cat with the most loving nature but nobody, not even the vet could get a pill down her. As for the phosphate binder, she would throw up rather than swallow any of it, same with the pills or would drool so dramatically with the pill hanging at the end, she had to be cleaned up. She was never tempted by cat treats or food on the table, just focused on her own bowl, so even after buying every wet renal cat food known to man, nothing tempted her. I anguished over making her last days miserable trying to treat her, she had such a delicate mouth and the softest body ever. She was so loved, even my neighbours were upset at her demise. That's why I'm treating Gandhi while preparing for the worst. But today he is well and happy, so too I shall be :}.

Issi
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I didn't realise he also had thyroid issues, they often go hand in hand with renal issues and adjusting his thyroid meds might be more helpful than kidney meds. So pleased he is looking better though
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a rough time with the passing of so many of your furry friends in such a short space of time, it can leave you shell shocked and over sensitive to any new worries. I fully empathise with that, having been through similar.

But my creaky old girl Lily, a tiny scrap of a cat, carried on for many years after diagnosis of kidney disease, and she was hyperthyroid too. She was on fortekor for her kidneys, but she wasn't keen on the renal diets so I had her on renal dried food and senior wet food, plus vidalta for her thyroid, and we kept her going for around 3 years like that. She had many other conflicting health issues to, but despite being the sickest cat I've ever owned, she outlived all the others, who I variously lost to RTA, cancer, spinal embollism and heart failure. So don't despair, you may have many more months, or even years, of quality time with Gandhi. Meanwhile make a huge fuss of him and enjoy your time together.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Glad that you, and Gandhi are getting your breath back ...

My Emily was diagnosed on the 14 Feb with ckd and it does hit you hard at first. She's 17 in July and obviously I know she can't stay for ever but when it comes home to you that they're approaching that threshold ... I was either in floods of tears or making silly jokes, as one does ...

But she's bossy and lively as ever, does look a bit wizened at times but bounces back. Not making too many demands on her, senior diet, of course. It's difficult with 3 cats to introduce a special regime or microchip feeding bowls and all that, at her age I'm inclined to think, sensible feeding, little stress as possible - but yes, the odd treat of rabbit or tuna despite the high protein.

It'll be easier with Gandhi as an only cat, so glad he's eating the ckd diet pouches and good luck and all the best with him, Emily sends purrs. :)
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Lilith wrote:Glad that you, and Gandhi are getting your breath back ...

My Emily was diagnosed on the 14 Feb with ckd and it does hit you hard at first. She's 17 in July and obviously I know she can't stay for ever but when it comes home to you that they're approaching that threshold ... I was either in floods of tears or making silly jokes, as one does ...

But she's bossy and lively as ever, does look a bit wizened at times but bounces back. Not making too many demands on her, senior diet, of course. It's difficult with 3 cats to introduce a special regime or microchip feeding bowls and all that, at her age I'm inclined to think, sensible feeding, little stress as possible - but yes, the odd treat of rabbit or tuna despite the high protein.

It'll be easier with Gandhi as an only cat, so glad he's eating the ckd diet pouches and good luck and all the best with him, Emily sends purrs. :)
H Lilith my dear, I was interested in your comment on Senior food. Dear Gandhi is thoroughly enjoying his Renal Food {Royal Canin } but we all know that can change in a heartbeat. I want to give him as an occasional change, a meal of Felix Senior which I had read was better for older cats with CKD. However on comparing the ingredients, I note there is less moisture and more protein than in normal Felix. Do you know what it is in the Senior food that makes it a better choice for my beloved Mr G? There is a king sized Mars Bar on its way if you can help :} Massive hugs to Emily.

Issi
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I actually use kattovit renal as it has a higher meat content than RC, although I've just bought her a box of hills that is supposed to help both kidneys and joints. I thought senior food had less phosphorus. She's had Purina renal too and enjoyed it, although her levels came down just changing her dry food
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww Issi - Emily says thanks for the hugs but I think it's Booktigger who deserves the Mars Bar - I'm totally ignorant about the technical stuff, and only know about senior food from my vet and what I've read on here. Emmy seems to be doing well on it - she can still slosh Molly over the nose and leap across the bedroom :D

Big fusses to Gandhi and Emily sends purrs - long live our golden oldies! x
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

booktigger wrote:I actually use kattovit renal as it has a higher meat content than RC, although I've just bought her a box of hills that is supposed to help both kidneys and joints. I thought senior food had less phosphorus. She's had Purina renal too and enjoyed it, although her levels came down just changing her dry food
Thanks Honey, I have never heard of Kattovit renal but hey, that's why I come on to CC, to get good advice. I will look it up and try it. I've also changed Mr G's dry food. Can you and Lilith share the Mars Bar between you meantime? We are having a terrible Spring here in Scotland, after a prolonged and terrible Winter, so don't want to go to the shops today, horizontal sleet. :) :)

Issi
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

To be fair, the only reason I tried it was that you can just buy 6 pouches rather than 12, and it's only £3.99, so figured it wasn't that much of a deal if she hated it, at that time she didn't eat more than a 50g pouch of wet food!! I did try some tins/pouches but she hated those!! Mind you, she doesn't like pate so not surprised. Don't worry about the mars bar, I'm on a diet :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yup, Issi, don't venture out in that, I'll take the word for the deed and much appreciated.

Love, and fusses to Gandhi and purrs from Emily x
loumoo
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by loumoo »

I lost an elderly cat of 16 who developed renal failure, recently lost an 8 year old to diabetes and asthma. It's a harrowing time.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

loumoo wrote:I lost an elderly cat of 16 who developed renal failure, recently lost an 8 year old to diabetes and asthma. It's a harrowing time.
Oh Honey, I am so sorry to hear that. Wish I could envelope you in a warm hug, take away your pain. Most of us here at CC know all too well what you are going through.

Thinking of you

Issi
loumoo
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by loumoo »

Thank you sweets
in my lifetime I've lost 4 cats. Was thinking of getting a friend for Fry, but maybe she prefers being alone now.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

loumoo wrote:Thank you sweets
in my lifetime I've lost 4 cats. Was thinking of getting a friend for Fry, but maybe she prefers being alone now.
It's difficult isn't it? We adopted dear Gandhi in a terrible state, and my goodness, I was at a loss. Had cats before but my boy cried and hid, 7 kgs of injured cat curled up behind the curtain so tightly, we couldn't define his head from his tail. Told the sanctuary we couldn't cope but thankfully, saw something in him. We went to get him a companion, tiny Cody, found abandoned with other cats in a cupboard. She clung to us, came home straightaway, no problems, a godsend for all concerned, Gandhi loved her from the start, settled down. Poor, desperately sick Armand took a little longer, but they all became so close, I used to joke they meandered into the kitchen together like a herd of cows called for the milking. When Cody and Armand died suddenly, I too thought long and hard about getting my boy a new companion. But honestly? He has positively thrived being an 'only'. Both my Vet and Cat sitter [works for Cats Protection]advised me against an addition. We were lucky with our last two, would we have been so with another cat? I know the perceived advice is 'get another cat, fill the void, ease the pain' but my advice would be to wait.Lavish Fry, as always, with love, see how she responds to your undivided attention.

Issi
loumoo
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by loumoo »

Fry is able to sit on my lap and get all the attention now, her and her sister never sat on the same place after they grew up.

Fry spends alot of time on her fav spots and comes down for cuddles and treats etc. She doesn't like going outside if visitor cats are there, even if its the laid back dude cat. I mentioned this in another thread, Fry hissed at me once the other day when I went to stroke her after stroking the visitor cat a lot [ washed my hands after].
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

booktigger wrote:I'm glad you are feeling more positive and he must be really early stages if the vet didn't even want to change his food. I get Lucy's from zooplus, she isn't supposed to have renal as it can make her hypercalcemia worse, so I give her a Royal canin dry that also has psyllium husk which would help his megacolon. Lucy has 50g pouches of wet food as she won't eat full size ones, yet she will happily eat a full pouch of renal food! Could you ask what his urea and creatinine values are? I do hope you get a decent amount of time with him.
Oh well, the Allbran approach to feeding Mr G [you nibble at the stuff knowing there will be nothing else, but feel miserable, unsatisfied, all day] didn't work. He did his best poor lamb, but lost weight, dull coat, dull eyes, became very quiet. Senior Felix? He just licked off the jelly. So.. it's back to the Felix fishy and a small mouthful of RC Fibre response. Oh he'll have a bit of that alright, head down, bum up gobble gobble. Bounced back, satisfied smacking of lips, shiny coat, bright eyes. Playing with his laser and ball, talking to us again. We always agreed that should Mr G suffer from renal disease, we would not make the mistake we made with darling Cody, strange food, administering pastes and meds, causing her great distress until I called a halt. Gandhi is easy to medicate but, at nearly 14yrs old, that's a decision we will have to think long and hard about come the day. Anyway, today my boy is looking well, smells like a newly washed cushion. 7kgs of soft grey fur looking for cuddles...aahh..bliss. :)

Issi
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

At least you tried, quality of life is the most important thing.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yup, agreed. Purrs and fusses as always x
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Hi guys, just thought I would let you know that dear Gandhi has surprised us all and is 'thriving'. My son came down from Aberdeen 2 weeks ago and commented that Gandhi did not look ill, although a little quiet. Well he must be Gandhi's fairy godfather [fairy-nuff?] sorry, couldn't resist that, because my boy continued to improve with only one day of vomiting slightly after a back-up in his bowels. Oh but I don't kid myself, I am always aware that things are going on in his warm, furry body but we just give thanks for every extra day with him, make sure he enjoys life. By the way, it is 2 years yesterday since we lost wee Cody, 2yrs and 1 month since Armand died and I am coping much better than I ever thought I would. Yet I had a painful pang at the gym of all places. I had popped an old big buttoned Doro mobi into my gym bag. Flipped it open...there was the last pic of sweet Cody, looking a picture of health, a month before diagnosis. I suppose that's the downside of aging, we look back and feel the loss of so many pets,friends and family. But today, all is well and the sun is shining, a rarity in Scotland, so off to enjoy it.

Issi
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Glad he is doing so well