My cat keeps opening her mouth like something is stuck

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
cskel
New Cat Chatter

My cat keeps opening her mouth like something is stuck

Post by cskel »

Has anybody seen this before - I managed to take a 30 second video of her opening her mouth as if something is stuck. She doesn't do it very often...

https://youtu.be/DTxGQHKagdA

Any help or advice is really appreciated. Thanks
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: My cat keeps opening her mouth like something is stuck

Post by booktigger »

I'd get her checked by a vet, she may have a problem with her teeth
cskel
New Cat Chatter

Post by cskel »

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get her checked over. She only seems to do it a couple of times a week... The majority of times before she gets her 5pm meal. I've tried looking in her mouth a few times but can't see anything out of the ordinary. Could be out of the line of sight I guess :(
natalie1031
New Cat Chatter

Post by natalie1031 »

My cat has been doing this for the past two weeks now too.

She has bad chin acne and was given some cream to put on which she licks off. Wasn't getting better so I brought her back and they gave her an injection of antibiotics, flea and tick treatment back of neck (she has no fleas, ticks, indoor cat), drinking from porcelain bowl, anti-inflammatory medication and antiseptic pads to clean it. Well right after the flea and tick treatment she was able to get at it trying to lick if off ...the part where she was licking is now scabby. Gotta bring her in again!!

But ever since this started she opens her mouth like something is stuck..i was told since she's licking herself more now there's probably hair stuck.

What's your opinion?
What ended up happening with your cat?
cskel
New Cat Chatter

Post by cskel »

Hi there.

Yes, I took her to the vets. They gave her an oral examination and couldn't find any problems - she had teeth/gums of a 3 year old rather than a 10 year old! They advised me to keep an eye on her and if it got any worse to bring her back for some scans. They weren't too concerned... as long as she wasn't 'coughing'.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks I returned from work and there was A LOT of vomit waiting for me. Amongst it was a huge hairball. She's not been making the strange mouth movements since. I suspect a hair may have been stuck.

Hope you get your little kitty sorted too.
Fearlesscuti2
New Cat Chatter

Post by Fearlesscuti2 »

My cat is currently doing this, she's also indoor and does it loudly a several times a day. I am nervous..she's still eating and drinking.
Fearlesscuti2
New Cat Chatter

Post by Fearlesscuti2 »

My cat is currently doing this, she's also indoor and does it loudly a several times a day. I am nervous..she's still eating and drinking.