Blackie has cystitis ... probably my fault

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Blackie has cystitis ... probably my fault

Post by Jan »

I was told by the vet after Blackie had a urine test in January that there was some blood in his urine. He then had a CBC blood test in February and the urine sample he provided under sedation showed there was still blood in it. She told me on a scale of 1-3, the blood level his urine was 2 so to up his daily Cystophan to 2 daily. There had been no indication that anything was amiss - no straining (he often follows me into the downstairs loo and squats in his tray), no paw marks left in the tray ... except when he decides one of them isn't clean enough.

Everything seemed fine until yesterday when I noticed he had created a tiny bald spot just above one of his eyes - so small that I didn't think much about it. Tonight when we returned home, the spot had got slightly bigger and more fur was missing. The last time this happened was back in 2014 when in my ignorance I had no idea what this signal meant and we so nearly lost him - 24 hours from death we were told by the vet at the time. I'd only taken him to the vet because he'd scratched a large bloody bald spot above one of his eyes I think its the same side this time.

I now feel this is my fault ... a few days ago I dropped his Cystophan to 1 x day without reference to the vet. Shame on me. So have given him an extra dosage tonight and will be speaking to the vet tomorrow. That's a lesson learned.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Blackie has cystitis ... probably my fault

Post by Lilith »

That bad lad is lucky to have you!

Hope you get him over this latest crisis, all the very best :)