Cystophan Dosage

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ukcatman
New Cat Chatter

Cystophan Dosage

Post by Ukcatman »

Hi all,

One of our cats is currently going through a bout of cystitis (she's had it before). I'm trying her on cystophan and the guide states for a 3kg+ cat administer two capsules daily. Is it recommended to give these apart or should they be give at the same time. Or doesn't it make a difference?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cystophan Dosage

Post by Jan »

Hi

Also have a cat who has suffered with cystitis. He had 2 Cystophan daily - morning + evening plus a dose of Metacam for 5 days. After 2 weeks it was dropped to 1 daily. When a second bout happened 2 months later, another vet advised upping to 2 daily as before and adding lots of warmed water with his food. Adding the water really helped a lot.

He has been on 1 cystophan daily since July 2014 and has had not had another bout until I was told after a recent blood test that he had some blood in his urine so the Cystophan has been upped to 2 daily again for 2 weeks. Vet thinks Blackie is stressed about something ... could be a new cat coming into his garden, pain from arthritis (he is 15) or just his own shadow :roll: Shame cats can't tell you what they're stressed about.

Hope this helps and that your kitty soon feels better.
Ukcatman
New Cat Chatter

Post by Ukcatman »

Thanks Jan.

Hope your little one is feeling better soon!

I've been giving the Cystophan twice a day for just under two weeks - like you one in a morning and one in an evening.

She's stopped frequenting the litter tray as much as she was (literally in and out) and the very small urinations have now turned back to 'full size' urinations but she's still doing some of them outside of the tray. Hopeully this is progress though and a sign it's easing up. If not I'll take her back to the vet.

I'm also a little concerned that she hasn't been drinking enough, which I've read can make the situation worse. I've started mixing food jelly into water to encourage her to drink more and it's working!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

I’m sure that someone once told me that rain water is very good for cystitis. It’s a couple of years ago now, but their cats were suffering with it a lot and were trying their best to get some info and I’m sure they said that switching to plain rain water had helped. I don’t know whether it was that the cat drank more because they preferred the taste, or whether it was just the water but may be worth a try in addition to the vet treatment?