Lost my cat at the vet. Please help.

Post details of LOST CATS here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
ashfaq1992
New Cat Chatter

Lost my cat at the vet. Please help.

Post by ashfaq1992 »

Hello,

My cat was walking a bit funny and decided to get him to the vet. Unfortunately, while in the consultation room, one of the staff just opened the door without knocking and my cat ran away. The vet is situated kind of far from my house, like 15 mins by car. It has been 3 days since this happened and I am feeling horrible. I really do not know what to do. Can you guys help me please? Thank you.

I am 25 year old guy who just cannot leave stray cats like, I try to foster, give them food and vet care.
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: Lost my cat at the vet. Please help.

Post by Cat-FAQ »

If you haven’t already seen Cat Chat’s Lost & Found page, the information there may help:
https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-m ... lost-found
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi, so sorry you’ve lost your cat.

I would follow the lost cat advice above, and put posters round the vets area as he is likely to be either somewhere there in hiding, or trying to find his way back home.

Have you been back to the area when it’s quiet later in the day and called?

You could also ask the vets to give you some help with this.
ashfaq1992
New Cat Chatter

Post by ashfaq1992 »

I have been in the region since day 1, several times a day. I searched for him everywhere. Unfortunately, he is not a gentle cat and runs away when people approach him. He was actually a stray cat who I fostered for a year now. Do you think something bad can happen to him?

I thought I was doing the good thing by getting him to the vet :cry: :cry: :cry: . I am not being able to think about him or look at his photos. It hurts so much. :cry:
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

You could try Animal Search UK they may be able to help, but I think it will cost. Definitely ask people round the area to look out for him and leave posters and follow the advice on the link. Best of luck!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Ashfaq, this is awful!

Do you feel comfortable with putting the area where you lost the cat - or at least the postcode where the vet's is? Also a description of your cat. I'm sure any Catchat members in that area would be happy to watch out for a stray. I agree with Janey, the vets ought to give you some help.

The same thing almost happened to me once, when a woman held a vet's door open for me; I walked in and smiled my thanks at her - and she let the heavy door go bang on to us. Cat carrier split in half and cat sailed back out into car park on the edge of a busy road. Luckily the cat was only going for a check up and had the sense to hide under the nearest car and let me pull her out... I dread to think what could have happened otherwise.

All the very very best and hope you get him back soon.
ashfaq1992
New Cat Chatter

Post by ashfaq1992 »

I do not live in the UK unfortunately. I am feeling so guilty. Is there any chance that he finds his way home?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Stranger things have been known - cats are capable of this.

In the UK and US it's possible to buy or borrow trapping boxes - are they available where you live and could the vet lend you one if so? Have the vets offered any support - since it was their mistake they ought to help you. But I'd definitely go on visiting the area to see if you can attract his attention.

You must be going frantic - it's every owner's worst nightmare. I do hope you find him soon, all the very best and please keep updating.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

if he was straying around where you live there must be a chance he will find his way back

I would put leaflets through the door, with his photo, of the houses around your area, especially if there is anyone who fed him before you took him in
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Please don't feel guilty. You absolutely did the right thing by taking him to the vet.

The vet clinic should be helping you find him. I would also use social media in that area to try to locate him.

I hope you find him soon.