Emergency Vet

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Emergency Vet

Post by Red wine lady »

Best laid plans and all that! My night was a long overdue night in, with my old man...however it was with the emergency vet and a very very frightening and feral Oscar!

We thought our little man had broken his leg, he was limping, hissing and totally changed animal. Anyhow the vets thinks it’s a abscess under the skin...gave him a couple of injections and I’ve been told to report to my vet tomorrow for more treatment...does anyone know what else? Will I see an improvement tonight?

Oscar is now upstairs feeling very sorry for himself, obviously in pain...I taken food and treats but I don’t know what else to do? Anything ?

Happy Tuesday
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Emergency Vet

Post by Lilith »

Oh, poor guy!

Nothing you can do, really, apart from tlc, kind words and perhaps some tuna or whatever he loves best. Hopefully the injections - painkiller? antibiotics? will kick in overnight and he'll calm down once he realises he's home and cared for.

With very many best wishes for his speedy recovery ... and yours.

ps, what does the other guy look like?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

it does sound as if something has traumatised him - I would shut the door on him and leave him alone in the dark to get over it in his own good time
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

If it’s an abscess it may need to be lanced...let us know how Oscar goes. Vivian
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Aww poor old chap. I hope his leg is improving this morning, and he doesn’t need any more treatment.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Abscesses can make a cat feel very poorly, as well as being painful. If he has had ABs he should start feeling better quite quickly as they damp down the infection and inflammation - untreated the abscess usually bursts and the cat feels better immediately, but then tends to get a recurrent sequence of infections as the skin heals and the abscess builds up again. These days I ask about antibiotics as soon as I see signs of an abscess forming - both my cats tolerate the single dose injection well, which takes care of the problem, along with a small dose of Loxicom as pain relief while the ABs do their work. Fortunately since Lenny the Bengal moved house we have been abscess free - the new cats who moved in are less prone to beating up the competition!
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Thank you all.

Oscar looked and sounded better by 1am, his leg and chest are still swollen though. I am just waiting for our vets to open to get him an appointment for today. I think he has a wound on his chest (maybe a bite / injury of some sort) but in fairness the vet could not get near to him...he was a very violent cat...my hands are ripped.

Ironically fat lad has not lost his appetite ! I will feel better when we have been again to the vet.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

5 years ago I had much the same experience with Tilly (except that Tilly was much better behaved) limping with a poorly back leg. Emergency vet thought it probably was a bite as that was the most common cause but it turned out to be a broken tarsal bone in her leg. (Emergency vet did say that that was possible, and how was he to know that 3 year old Tilly was very unlikely to have come of worst in a fight?)
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

alanc wrote:5 years ago I had much the same experience with Tilly (except that Tilly was much better behaved) limping with a poorly back leg. Emergency vet thought it probably was a bite as that was the most common cause but it turned out to be a broken tarsal bone in her leg. (Emergency vet did say that that was possible, and how was he to know that 3 year old Tilly was very unlikely to have come of worst in a fight?)
Wow!! What a girl!

We are very rural, there is one full tom that wanders but Oscar has seen him off a couple of months ago...however you just never know what wildlife he was come across...he was herding lambs last week for being on his 'land'. We have squirrels who really dislike Oscar too....he is more a serial killer than a cute feline to be honest :D

However I thought the vet would have sedated him last night and had a look...in fairness I paid £130.00 before treatment, I wanted more reassurance to be honest. However I've now got in the vet at 3pm and I am leaving work shortly to see how my little man is.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:o WHAAT?

You mean he's already into sheep-worrying? :shock: :lol:

It'll take more than an abscess to faze that one - I wouldn't mind betting he was more anxious about being removed from his territory.

Reminds me of the old story about the local neighbourhood terrorist tomcat; he managed to break a foreleg and (in those days) had to wear a plaster cast. It didn't bother him. He still won all his fights. One clonk from the Armoured Paw and his adversaries were out for the count ...

Good luck for 3 o'clock! :)
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Lilith wrote::o WHAAT?

You mean he's already into sheep-worrying? :shock: :lol:

It'll take more than an abscess to faze that one - I wouldn't mind betting he was more anxious about being removed from his territory.

Reminds me of the old story about the local neighbourhood terrorist tomcat; he managed to break a foreleg and (in those days) had to wear a plaster cast. It didn't bother him. He still won all his fights. One clonk from the Armoured Paw and his adversaries were out for the count ...

Good luck for 3 o'clock! :)
I always thought Oscar really thinks he’s a dog!

Happy Days...Oscar has a bite which is infected...probably from another cat, He also has managed to lose a claw, which the poor other kitty may have in him! Week on antibiotics and pain killers...PHEW.

Get a cat they said, it will be fun they said :D :D :D

Many thanks xxxxxxxx
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

That's a relief!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

How's he feeling today? Better, I hope - please give him a love from me, the bad lad :)
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Lilith wrote:How's he feeling today? Better, I hope - please give him a love from me, the bad lad :)
Fat lad, is back to being the ruler of the universe. Spends most of his time in the garden serial killing, sleeping in our neighbours beds and generally being so damn cute!

We however have just paid the vet bill and are just planning a bank heist to cover it!

How’s life in your mad cat world ?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww bless him ... I take it he's a very dear cat at the moment?? :shock: Sympathy to the wallet ...

Ha - my lot! Emily has perfected the early howling system (feline dementia) to well, perfection, Molly is keeping me guessing as to does she like the current litter or not ... don't go barefoot in the dark or you'll get a surprise ... Mousey is just a placid darling ... in other words, business as usual ... in every sense of the phrase lol (not!) :o :roll:

Many fusses to the erstwhile invalid :)
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Lilith wrote:Aww bless him ... I take it he's a very dear cat at the moment?? :shock: Sympathy to the wallet ...

Ha - my lot! Emily has perfected the early howling system (feline dementia) to well, perfection, Molly is keeping me guessing as to does she like the current litter or not ... don't go barefoot in the dark or you'll get a surprise ... Mousey is just a placid darling ... in other words, business as usual ... in every sense of the phrase lol (not!) :o :roll:

:lol: :lol: Get a cat they said....it will be fun they said!! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Red wine lady wrote:
Lilith wrote:Aww bless him ... I take it he's a very dear cat at the moment?? :shock: Sympathy to the wallet ...

Cats - get a human - it will be so much fun! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Lilith wrote: Cats - get a human - it will be so much fun! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :?
:lol: :D :lol: :D
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Lilith wrote:
Red wine lady wrote:

Cats - get a human - it will be so much fun! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :?
:lol: :lol: bonkers !
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Funny ... people keep telling me that ... :lol: :lol: