Extremely Shy Cat (Rescue)

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Boz
New Cat Chatter

Extremely Shy Cat (Rescue)

Post by Boz »

My wife and I have just taken in a beautiful white/grey longhair tabby from a rescue organization. We were made aware that the cat is very shy. We brought her home yesterday. We have a special room for her so she can get accustomed and the rescue org gave us a lot of things that she had in her foster home. So far, she is hiding in any nook or cranny and is not overly responsive. She allows us to pet her, but there is not a great deal of reaction. Should we just leave her be and let her settle in as long as it takes? Any suggestions would be most welcome! Many thanks!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Extremely Shy Cat (Rescue)

Post by Lilith »

Hi Boz and welcome, and good on you for rescuing this girl - so many people go for the friendly cats and the timid ones get overlooked ... once they find their paws they can become quite a cat, believe me :D

Yes, you're doing all the right things - at the moment it's a case of love her and leave her alone and let her settle, but keep on talking to her and telling her she's a good girl, you know, all that kind of thing, cats do like to be talked to. It's good that she lets you stroke her already. The more privacy you allow her now, that breathing space while things are still strange, the more confidence she'll build up, with your reassurance that you love her. Even if she's invisible, spend some time with her, 'Hi Missis, how you doing' and make conversation :lol: It's a verbal way of stroking and cuddles I think. My cats would be shocked if I didn't talk to them all the time lol :oops: :lol:

I think you'll be amply rewarded. Please give her a fuss from me and please let us know how you go on.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

great advice there - I would like to add though that allowing you to stroke her is lovely, but are you sure she is tolerating it, or is she frozen with fear when you touch her? - it can be difficult to tell which

the one thing a frightened and confused cat wants is to be invisible, so allowing her to hide and only talking without touching can be the quickest and easiest way forward - let her come to you when she's ready, and when she does don't be tempted to touch her or grab her

above all be patient - the secret is to avoid anything which reinforces her fears, until she learns you and your home are the best things that have ever happened to her - once she does there will be no turning back and you will be rewarded with a lovely and loving friend
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Agree with what Lilith and Kay say. From my own experience of my shy rescue cat, Misty, it can take 3 months for them to come out of their shell, so its early days. When they do come round, it makes it all worthwhile.
Monii
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Monii »

You should avoid staring at her at all times because cats see that as a threat and the shy cats will act even worse.

Give her a lot of room and always provide the exit roads. For an example, if you are in a living room and your cat is there, keep the doors open so that she can move around freely. That will reduce her anxiety by a lot. Cats need to have a feeling that they can move from one place to another with ease because they are always cautious.

These are some things that could help you :)