Sometimes I think I'm going to start collecting cats like I collect video games :)

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Sometimes I think I'm going to start collecting cats like I collect video games :)

Post by Joe_Danger »

If we had room for more litterboxes I'm sure I'd end up with a lot more than just my three cats, in fact we would have had five cats because we would've kept Marco and Medo.
I often see cats being offered for adoption on craiglist like sites here and know I could give them an amazing home but at the same time I don't want to disturb the harmony my three cats live in. I worry that if I bring home a fourth cat, assuming it's an adult, we could end up with excessive behavior like inappropriate urination and such and those things as far as I know can't be easily sorted out or in many cases can't be sorted out at all.

For a whole week now I've been looking at this ad, someone is selling their cat because they can't take care of her
https://www.pazar3.mk/Оглас/Се-продава/ ... e-/2923614

I'd buy her, but I understand that with three adult cats and a fairly small condo I don't have room to isolate her properly yet I feel so connected to her already :)
We've been thinking about where to put another litterbox and there just is no room and this being an entirely new cat ours aren't going to want to share their litterboxes with her right away that's for sure.

This happens all the time with me, it's always been like this ever since I was a kid.
I'd see a cat outside or a dog in need of a home and god knows we have tons of strays here and immediately start figuring out how I could adopt them without it conflicting with whatever pets I have at the time :)

And I think there's something about the way cats are that draws people to having multiple cats.
They're addictive
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Sometimes I think I'm going to start collecting cats like I collect video games :)

Post by Lilith »

Hi Joe, I know how you feel ... I still miss having three gingers and would love another ginger boy, but yes, it's a case of the risk of upsetting that precious balance, which in our case would be disastrous; Molly wouldn't permit a newcomer and it would stress the elderly Emily and Mouse.

I'm addicted to gingers - you seem to be addicted to Persian blue/cream torties :D

Lots of love to your gang from my gang :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Sometimes I think I'm going to start collecting cats like I collect video games :)

Post by booktigger »

Unfortunately, the situation is never going to improve - I've been doing voluntary work for 14 years and the situation now is worse than it was, so I'd stop torturing yourself by keep looking at them - when I first met my new vet she was surprised I only had two cats, doing rescue work, but I want to be able to give them the best, and I do end up with expensive cats!
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

So happy you get me on this!
I'm addicted to all types of cats and all colors, this one just happened to be the latest one to pop up and she just looks so much like a mix of Milla and Anastasia(RIP) and Kala :) I feel like she'd fit right in if mine accept her. I mean last year they accepted that one kitten that wandered off in the building's hallway but I think they'd definitely have trouble with an adult cat, especially if she is not fixed which is often the case here.

You guys are right, I should NOT look at these cats...but man that one time someone was selling Russian Blues, I'm dying to own a Russian Blue, that other time I saw British Shorthairs and probably the ones I wanted the most Maine Coon cats, fortunately Maine Coons are like 700 euros here so I couldn't afford one at the time XD Siberians too.

But if a Norwegian Forst Cat ever shows up.....however will I resist :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oooh, I know just what you mean! With me it's black cats (with my OH it's any colour cat, dog, donkey, chicken or pig!) If we won the lottery I am sure we would have a farm/cattery/rest home for any passing stray!

We live in a two bedroomed bungalow. Our only saving grace is a large garden surrounded by farmland. Without that space I am sure we could not manage. Six is our saturation point. But then if their life depended on it I am sure we could squeeze in one more!

You have a happy balance there Joe, just stop looking at ads, easy (not!)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I once said that I would never have more than two cats, I had just had major issues when i tried to introduce a third and had to send her back to the charity she came from, living in a two bedroom semidetached house with a small garden, three cats seemed too much.

I am now up to four and it is too many, but in this case i didn't have much option, I had to do every thing possible to make it work. My mother had to go into a nursing home at the start of the year, and died at the end of April. She had a 17 year old cat, who is nearly blind, the chance of re-homing her through a charity is next to zero, if I could have found a charity to take her she would most likely have spent the rest of her life in a pen. Both Mum and I agreed that if it didn't work out, the best option would be to have her put to sleep. Taking her in myself also gave me chance to take her in to visit Mum on the occasional weekend which made Mum's week.

Life isn't smooth, she hasn't integrated with the others but she has settled enough to live mainly in one room just occasionally venturing through the dining room to the cat flap with only the occasional hiss when she bumps into one of the others (literally in some cases, she doesn't see them so she only realises they are there when her whiskers hit). It is at best a strained neutrality.

As much as we would all love to take in as many waifs and stays as we came across we all know that overcrowding does not make happy cats and we have to put our resident cats first. I know I am over capacity at the moment, but that doesn't stop me looking at adverts and dreaming, I find it very hard when i see Maine Coons, Norwegian Forests, Ragdolls, or even just long haired moggies needing new homes, but I know the answer has to be No at the moment, but that doesn't stop the thought of 'maybe one day'.

Cat (or other animal) hording is a recognised mental illness in the UK now, no matter how bad the conditions get the person loves the animals and often wants to do what is best for them, but doesn't seem to realise when it gets out of hand, it's why cases often aren't punished and the person involved is allowed to keep a couple of the animals, and the situation is monitored in the future to make sure it doesn't start to happen again.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I would prefer to have 2 cats, but then of course I adopted bad tempered Lucy, when she nearly blinded me and gave me a black eye I decided that she needed to be an only cat. Of course some of you know about my current dilemma with the foster cats. I do at least have the luxury of testing the waters with fostering.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

You all make excellent points, tho if I had more room I'm sure I would've given a 4th cat a shot.
I do hope that Thea cat i posted in the OP finds a good home, I know I would have provided the perfect home for her if we had one more spare room.

Today I was playing this one game on my Super Nintendo where the characters travel to the past and I ended up in this old guy's house......
n2xIGQney903ZW2ByrE6gvyEkP3bcDTNcE3J_9ArBhU.jpg
n2xIGQney903ZW2ByrE6gvyEkP3bcDTNcE3J_9ArBhU.jpg (159.61 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
I am PRETTY sure they traveled to the future instead and the old guy is me XD
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Nice one! :lol: :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Lol Joe, I think that could well be your fate ...

As someone who's already achieved this, I can only say - it could be far worse :D
shaggy301
New Cat Chatter

Post by shaggy301 »

I really do not know how many breeds are, but it would be nice to have some kind of mini zoo that has all of the breeds that ever exist on this earth. That would be an ultimate collection.