need help getting rid of cat urine

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
corbmonster
New Cat Chatter

need help getting rid of cat urine

Post by corbmonster »

It's been a while since he peed on the carpet. This has been very difficult to get rid of. It right where the carpet meets the door frame. I know the location because Rug doctor enzyme urine eliminator is pretty good about listing the urine up to the towel you place over it, showing where the urine is. I lifted up the carpet, and the pad does smell bad. It wouldn't be difficult to cut a section of pad out and replace it. But the cement below smells like urine too. What would you do? Seal the concrete? I'll bet it soaked into the board with carpet tacks as well. I'm at my wits end, and I'm embarrassed to invite friends over. http://imgur.com/a/3z00y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: need help getting rid of cat urine

Post by bobbys girl »

There is a product by 'Four Paws' called Industrial Super Strength Stain and Odor (American?) Remover. I wouldn't say it was 100% successful, but it is very good.
Can you peel back the carpet and air the concrete for a while? Perhaps a good dollop of the above and some air might work.
I know you can get quite paranoid about this sort of thing. Has the smell gone or am I just getting use to it? Good luck. Let us know how you go on.
corbmonster
New Cat Chatter

Post by corbmonster »

I did peel back the carpet as shown in the pics. I don't think airing it out will work, when it rains I can smell it. So with carpet peeled away I sprayed the rug doctor urine eliminator and put a towel over it, then sprayed pad / towel / sprayed carpet towel. I'm hoping thing layering or carpet and spray and towel will help. I'll let you know about the results.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

Try using a spirit, whisky, rum, brandy or gin, if that is too painful surgical spirit.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I thought Natures Remedy was good that???
I don't for I used carpet cleaner for the shampooer
joolie75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by joolie75 »

Hi
We had some urine issues. When he had our flea epedemic our cat took to peeing on a particular chair and corner. And we had a visitor cat who took to peeing on the porch and round the catflap. :(

Anyway, I used vinegar and water. The vinegar breaks down the enzymes (or something like that) wich gets rid of the smell, and the smell of the vinegar discourages further peeing.
It worked like a dream for us. It 50/50 water and vinegar. You don't need so much. I applied with a spray bottle (like you have for plants), so only a few centimeters of fluid in the bottle is needed

I've never used commercial products, and I'm not entirely sure whether the vinegar remedy would work on the cement...but might be worth a try first before you pay out for the retail products?

Good luck!
MooBag
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MooBag »

When we had a bit of a spray problem a couple of months ago I discovered a product called Simple Solution, (which you can get on amazon or the usual pet supplies websites), and have found it brilliant for stain removal and particularly for smell removal! They do one for soft furnishings and one for hard surfaces, both I've found work great.

We fostered a cat recently who didn't at first get what a litter tray was for (!), and the Simple Solution for soft furnishings took the pee smell our of the carpet with no bother, and in only one application too. The stuff itself even smells nice, so not only is the pee smell gone but it leaves a pleasant smell after.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

I had a problem with one of my fosters peeing. Like joolie75 I also used vinegar, it was white vinegar which I used and a spray bottle also. It did get rid of the smell thankfully! I can totally sympathise with you though, I tried everything I knew of including biological washpowder and various pet cleaning products, and the vinegar was the last thing I used, I think that was the best. The house smelt a bit odd for a while but it did the trick. Afterwards I squirted the area with lemon juice (as advised by my rescue). I didn't try surgical spirit though as suggested by Ela so that may also be worth a try. I've also since purchased a product called 'Natural and Clean' but this was afterward, and that seems good for accidents but I haven't tried it on wee because I've not had a problem with that since our little chap left.

Good luck!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I've also used white vinegar mixed with biological washing powder with success but that was on fabric.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Baking soda works in getting skunk smells out of dogs. Put with vinegar it bubbles.
One rescipe you put Proxide in it. But I wouldn't with fabric
jill