Coco and Chanel dilemma

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Coco and Chanel dilemma

Post by Mayday21 »

They do look very settled .. and they’re gorgeous. Hope they like their new furnishings/toys. Vivian
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Yeah, they seem content. Night before last, Coco was in the windowsill bed when I read their bedtime story but when I said 'Coco, supper time', she came out to where her food is
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Builder came on Sun, he thinks it will be next week before he can start building it, he’s struggling a bit with the mesh. Coco stayed on the floor this morning when I went in, even when I fed them, so she ate on the floor rather than her usual spot and started eating before I left the room, which is really good for her.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Oh good news, good lass :D

Hmmm, builders ... excuses, excuses :evil: Good luck!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Builder is hopeful he can do it Wed/Thu this week. Rescue lady rang about a home visit last night and asked me about the girls, she said she was concerned about how long I'd had them (she thinks people get fed up if they have had them a certain length of time!), she seemed to forget the conversation we had the other week, asked if I thought they should go back in a pen (can you imagine??) so I said they weren't homeable in the true sense, when I described what they needed, she thought it was impossible, so I said again about the long term foster bit, she didn't seem too enthusiastic, but left it that she would trust my judgement, so I'll take that as a yes I can! I didn't mention the enclosure again as she didn't seem keen on me paying last time. At least my vet was more enthusiastic about the scenario.

Last night I ended up having some crisps in here (I try not to eat in the cat room), Chanel went bonkers and started gently touching my arm and leg, so I obviously gave her a bit!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Back in a pen :o :( :(

They need a very special home with no pressure on them to be polite, sociable or impress friends and family ... like yours in fact :)

Lol I once had a naughty little black cat who intercepted sausage rolls and took a bite as I lifted them to my mouth, and as for crisps! She'd have eaten the whole packet! She lived to be 18 - sucks to the food police :lol:
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I know, they'd end up as bad, if not worse than when they came! Yes, if it wasn't for Lucy, mine would be perfect! Coco was really popping last night when I was putting their bed back, I told her to calm down, put her ears back and her paws under her- she does actually listen and do It, but suspect your average person would be too scared of her (I find it a bit scary, especially last night as she moved towards me while popping!).

Lucy is the worst cat I've known for eating things she shouldn't- she's had a bit of a scone, shortbread and cake today- scones and hot cross buns are favourites, she'll eat them out of the wrapper! I was horrified when she ate through tin foil to get at Christmas cake :o
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Christmas cake! :o :lol: That's more extreme than one of my lot who nicked the cauliflower with mint sauce (in preference to the roast lamb) and the one, belonging to a friend, who was obsessed with spring onions.

They can be frightening ... I remember my Ali Kat, a streetwise bruiser ... used to have to get out of his way pretty quickly sometimes lol; he'd go for my legs like a dog if he was cross with me :o
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Yeah, she also likes Italian and German Christmas cake! And vegetarian chinese, shes drawn blood trying to get that off me!

It certainly can! Fortunately i don't let on it scares me and just talk her down!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I certainly don't claim to be an expert, but in my opinion putting this pair in a pen would be about the worst thing that could be done. They need a quiet place that they are used to and can feel safe in, such as the place they are at the moment. In a way I can understand her asking, i could imagine some fosters getting fed up and feeling used if cats were seeming just abandoned by the charity with them, but you have already talked to her about keeping them long term.

The perfect home might come up, but they are few and far between for cats like this pair, most people want young, friendly kittens not the more challenging cats. One thing my Mother and I had discussed was what happened to Stroppy if she wouldn't settle at mine, my sister couldn't take her and even if I could find a rescue place there aren't many people who would be willing to take on a virtually blind, 17 year old cat, we both agreed she would have been in shelter probably for the rest of her life, we didn't want to, but were both prepared to make the final decision as being the kindest option. Fortunately, while it may not be the home she would prefer, she has settled so I dont have to think of that option.

When it comes to eating what they shouldn't cats will be cats, and never read the book. Saturn goes nuts for Chicken Lasagne, i've had cats happily wolf down the left over roast potatoes rather than the meat, but still Sam takes some beating with his love of Chile Con Carne. He also liked chocolate particularly the dark chocolate, we knew it wasn't good for him, but he didn't care.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Yes, I completely agree, and I suspect if I agreed, they'd also be separated, which I also think is the worst thing for these - they don't sleep together as much as they used to, but if scary things happen, they curl up together, Chanel still sees her mum as security. Well, I would have understood more if we'd not already had the conversation about them staying as long term fosters - if it wasn't for that slight possibility a better home could be found, I would have just said I'd keep them. I'm glad that Stroppy is coping, as you are right, she would have struggled to find a home.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Went up early last night, so spent a bit of time reading quietly before their bedtime story, Coco didn’t seem too impressed, but when I started reading she laid out with one leg stretched in front of her, it really does relax her. Unfortunately Chanel was in mischief mode last night (not sure 23 is cool enough to start playing Da Bird with her!), so spoiled the moment! She was hilarious though, I’m sure she is going to love the enclosure, and luckily I can leave it open all night if they refuse to come in – although I’m hoping they are food orientated enough not to miss supper!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Desley is the enclosure attached to the house? They seem to have settled and definitely think they should stay with you no matter what the shelter says. If moved/separated could traumatise them all over again. How’re they enjoying their toys? Fusses to all from Vivian & the Famous Five from Oz.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Rubbish pics, as I only had the tablet with me, but I’d dumped a blanket that needed washing on top of the box on Sun and Chanel dived on it, so swapped it for her favourite cushion and last night she was padding away while I read to them. Coco was in the bed on the floor when I first walked in, but I forgot something and when I went back in she’d moved to her usual spot. Chanel was quite brave this morning and sniffed my face, so she got a Dreamie for that – she has been braver since I moved the table next to the chair I sit on, so she can be close to me without me being aware! It is amazing how well they respond to being read to – wouldn’t do it with Lucy, she can get huffy when you try and talk to her, even if you are saying how much you love her!

Viv – it will be a frame attached to the wall – I’ll try and post a pic of my neighbours, mine will be smaller as it’s on an upstairs window. They definitely have settled and as I said to the manager on Fri, they do interact, just not in the way your average person wants – Coco was on the bed on the windowsill this morning, and when I said ‘breakfast Bean (her nickname), she came to where her food bowl lives, and started eating before I left the room, she’s doing that a lot more. It’s funny, I tidied up on Sun and Chanel hasn’t dived into the toys, as it’s so warm here, I haven’t been playing Da Bird with her – the room was saying 24.5 at 7.30 this morning! I think I am going to have to donate the Catit senses, she really isn’t bothered with that.
enclosure 1.jpg
Chanel waiting for bedtime story.jpg
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Another good week with them, I moved the new scratch post at weekend, both used it :Luv2: Chanel even went in the cube to retrieve a toy. Need to bring up one that Lucy doesn't use. They love the beds on the windowsill, keep finding them in them. I also made Lucy have her supper outside their door, might keep doing that, could help
1533069397542.jpeg
1533069397542.jpeg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 40525 times
1533071439103.jpeg
1533071439103.jpeg (110.81 KiB) Viewed 40525 times
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Desley they’ve certainly come a long way - eating on command & posing with cat scratchers & they’re stunning.. those eyes & colors. Harper has fetishes with the cat tunnel which goes into an igloo. Loved the pic of your neighbour’s enclosure. Vivian btw The Famous Five from Oz send hearty purrs to Coco & Chanel.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

They are both gorgeous, and fingers crossed they will stay with you for a long time.

I'd snap them up myself given half a chance, and space for them, but at the moment i'm over limit so any chance of re furring my house has to wait.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

They're looking good - you can see how much more confidence you've given them :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Yes, they have come a long way and certainly have a lot more confidence now. Chanel did properly pose for that pic! She is such a poser though. Their eyes baffle me, in the flesh they are generally a yellow colour, unless they are in direct light, when they are blue – other Siamese I’ve met have constantly blue eyes. It is a shame you are over your cat numbers Ruth.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I once said I would only ever have two cats at a time, after things had gone horribly wrong introducing a third. When i got the juniors, it was proving that 3 is a crowd but was just about coping. With Stroppy there really was no other option, I had to make it work, I can't say it's a happy family, but she stays in the lounge primarily and the others pretty much avoid the lounge most of the time now. It's not a perfect situation, there's something of a cold war going on, but it's managing. I desperately don't want to lose Stroppy, but I know her days are numbered, in a way though I also know that when she has gone life will get a bit easier again.

Much as many of us would love to take in every cat available, but we all know that the resident cats have to come first and where to draw the line. When the time comes and I'm back down to two, I know the cat will be there that needs the home i can offer, and Coco and Chanel have landed on their feet with you anyway, so many places wouldn't be able to cater for their special needs. Hopefully Lucy will eventually come to accept them even if she is never friends with them.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I've always said only 2 Cats, everytime I go up to 3 I lose one shortly after :cry: as long as they can tolerate it's the best we can ask, my problem is Lucy takes her annoyance out on me and draws blood if a neighbours cat comes in. Had an interesting conversation with a friend, she has 2 of the charities dogs on long term foster, and in a similar situation, where she knows they could get better but after 13 months in rescue, and at 13 years old, it's better than being in a kennel.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Chanel is a bit unsure of her new toy!
1534688309801.jpeg
1534688309801.jpeg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 40460 times
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:lol:

Ooooooo! Whassat? :D

She looks a grand big girl now :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Some cat play tunnel, £5 from B & M. It isn't flat so moves and has a crinkle pad. It has moved in the room though. Am hoping after multiple cancellations that the enclosure is being started tomorrow.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Heard a noise, looked round to find Coco playing, not sure what with! Looking at the content look on her face, I think I have made the right decision
Attachments
1534790542012.jpeg
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Aaahh Desley they’re definitely yours ... well done with persisting. Vivian
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Well, I'm still classing them as long term fosters!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

They are definitely happy enough with you.

How long they are with you is purely a matter of fate, the perfect home might appear tomorrow or they might be with you for years, either way is far better than them being separated or rehomed as semi ferals.

I know all too well that feeling when you hear one playing with something and you go to have a look and they just sit there looking all innocent and you can't see what they were playing with, at least you don't have the worry about what toys they have found for themselves outside. I found a great big dead moth on the stairs yesterday, just glad it was dead and not flying around.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Yes, I may be bothered by them having restricted space, but they don’t seem to be. They love home comforts too much to be farm cats, and were sleeping together on Sat. Had a lovely selfie with Chanel while reading their bedtime story to them. Builder has turned up, so have explained that there is going to be a lot of noise, but it will be worth it for them, and the deal is they have to come in at night, I’m not leaving the window open all night! I have shut the window and the curtain to minimise it for them. Lucy got distracted when coming in last night because of a moth, then she wouldn’t settle and drove me mad!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ohhh, the 'what have you got there?' syndrome ...

The time I heard loud screams coming from behind a table, with half a dozen cats sitting round watching 'it' ...

'It' turned out to be a tiny ... frog ... :o

And the time I reared a clutch of stick insects from tiddlers. When they were as long as my finger I felt sorry for them, cooped up in a tank, and at the time one bedroom wall was covered by a grape ivy. Would they eat grape ivy leaves? They would. So I released them. These didn't fly, run, or really do anything much and I didn't think Emily would realise they were there.

I reckoned without Emily ... RIP stickies, and apologies ... :( :(