Blood results back for my senior fur baby with k.disease

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Gabbys_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Blood results back for my senior fur baby with k.disease

Post by Gabbys_Mum »

Vet just called. All is going well thank goodness, such a relief! Gabby's Kidneys are stable and everything else is good too.

So, it means the routine I have going with her is working and I was just freaking out for nothing last night...omg...all that googling led to a major headache! Started conjuring up all these scenarios and ending up going to bed really depressed :(

I know the arthritis is setting in now for Gabby, but the fact she still goes up and down the stairs, goes out and is still quite active, reassures me she is doing okay :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Blood results back for my senior fur baby with k.disease

Post by Lilith »

Ah congrats - that's great! :D

I've had very good results for arthritis with Yumove capsules and similar glucosamine/chondroitin products and also green mussel powder - the latter is cheaper in loose form, not difficult to measure out once you know how much you need, and, if you want to add a fishy flavour to her ckd diet, boy this stuff is fishy!

So glad you're both feeling better and all the best x
Gabbys_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Gabbys_Mum »

Ohhhh...I didn't even know these existed!

Would they be available at Pets at home or just online?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

We had a thread going about it a while back -

https://www.catchat.org/felineforum/vie ... ove#p36213

I've always bought them via Amazon and Zooplus (who might sell the ckd diet) as I hate shopping so I don't know about PAH. A vet told me green-lipped mussel powder is good stuff :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I use Seraquin, which I get on subscribe and save from Amazon. Lucy has suddenly got hit and miss with It, so she gets monthly acupuncture
Gabbys_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Gabbys_Mum »

So these tablets are suitable for cats with k.disease? What are the phosphate levels like in them? I read the link you gave and i'm a bit concerned that they can cause loose motions.

I went to Pets at Home but they only had Yumove for dogs.

Gabby eas wet amd dry mixed. Should I just go for the mussel powder if thats what actually helps?

Sorry for all the questions!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey that's ok about questions; that's what the forum's here for :)

I don't know about phosphates but I've used mussel powder for Emily who has ckd, and really I've never noticed very loose motions with any of these products - but all cats are different of course.

Other people on here will know more, but hope this helps for now :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

The YuMove capsules for cats are formulated to be low phosphate - unfortunately none of mine will touch them, although they love the (higher phosphate) tablets for dogs. There is research showing that a low dose of meloxicam - the standard NSAID for arthritis - can actually have a protective effect for cats with early CKD. Unexpected, as kidney damage is a known side effect, but it seems the anti-inflammatory effect is more beneficial than the added drug burden is detrimental. Pippin has been on it for years, and it makes a big difference to his quality of life. It may also be worth asking about cartrophen injections - I am still trying to decide whether or not they make a difference for Pip long term, but they are not expensive and are definitely worth trying.
Gabbys_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Gabbys_Mum »

A lot to ponder!

Thank you so much for your help, guys. At the moment I'm leaning towards the mussel powder.

This UK heatwave is a nightmare isnt it! Gabby is long haired and the heat is really getting to her. I think I panicked myself more by thinking her being lethargic is due to illness...when infact its been the heat! Evenings are much better, right now she is sitting outside enjoying the cool breeze.
Gabbys_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Gabbys_Mum »

Lilith wrote:Hey that's ok about questions; that's what the forum's here for :)

I don't know about phosphates but I've used mussel powder for Emily who has ckd, and really I've never noticed very loose motions with any of these products - but all cats are different of course.

Other people on here will know more, but hope this helps for now :)
Could u please share the brand of mussel powder u use, lilith? Ive read different brands hv differing effects, but as you have tried and tested it, it would be helpful for me to know which you use :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi, it's this -

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog ... nts/532910

I know it says 'dog' but it's been fine for cats - I wish they sold it in smaller sizes as you get a huge tub, but perhaps someone on here knows of a similar one in a smaller size. It smells VERY fishy, but the cats don't seem to object :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Gabbys_Mum wrote:A lot to ponder!

Thank you so much for your help, guys. At the moment I'm leaning towards the mussel powder.

This UK heatwave is a nightmare isnt it! Gabby is long haired and the heat is really getting to her. I think I panicked myself more by thinking her being lethargic is due to illness...when infact its been the heat! Evenings are much better, right now she is sitting outside enjoying the cool breeze.
I dragged my early CKD cat for bloods last week because she hadn't been eating as well, she had gained weight and her levels are back in normal range! I would have used cartrophen if acupuncture hadn't worked
Gabbys_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Gabbys_Mum »

Im on Amazon right now, think I will try AniForte. It has 4 and half stars, reviews are good