Breeze & Charlie

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Steve71
New Cat Chatter

Breeze & Charlie

Post by Steve71 »

I’ve had breeze and Charlie since they were kittens, there 8 yrs old now. Breeze has started blocking Charlie’s way to the house and when she does get in she looks so stressed. I don’t want to rehome either of them but Charlie has taken to sleeping outside while breeze lords it up in doors. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do.

We’re about to go away and I feel if I don’t sort this quick then I will lose one of them.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Breeze & Charlie

Post by fjm »

Is there any way you can add a second cat entrance/exit, well away from the existing one so that he cannot block both? If not I think I would try and book one or both of them into a cattery while you are away, although that might be difficult at such short notice.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

If they have been fine together for 8 years and this has started to happen suddenly then I would suspect that something has changed and that change is what is causing the issue, the problem is finding out what that change is and solving the problem.

My first thought is are there any new cats in the neighbourhood that might be trying to get in making Breeze feel she has to defend the house more. She might not be deliberately stopping Charlie getting in, just wanting to stop any other cat getting in and Charlie is reacting negatively to Breeze's apparent aggression.

I would also suggest getting both cats checked by a vet to make sure there is no physical reason for the change in behaviour.

If you are in the UK it could partly be the weather, most of my cats are spending a lot of time outside. As long as Charlie has somewhere shady to rest and access to water outside then staying out isn't a problem as long as she can get inside to eat if nothing else, if you are somewhere where there is a chance of rain while you are away then making a temporary shelter for Charlie might be worthwhile. I am assuming that you are having someone come in to look after them while you are away rather than putting them in a cattery, make sure the person coming in knows there is a possible problem and will make sure that Charlie is brought in to have something to eat even if she goes straight back outside afterwards.

As long as they aren't actually fighting then I would accept that it might not be sorted until you get back and don't stress yourself that you have to sort it out before you go, if you are stressed both cats will pick up on it and it will only aggravate the situation. Do everything you can to make sure that the times they are close together are happy ones, like feeding them together or fussing them both at the same time.

The only other suggestion would be to put one or both in a cattery while you are away, but that might be hard to find at the moment, most catteries are fully booked, it would also be an expensive option and might lead to more problems when you are trying to settle them back in when you return.
Steve71
New Cat Chatter

Post by Steve71 »

There are a number of new cats in the area and a few foxes as well, but I don’t think it’s the foxes. But breeze does seem to be on guard more.

quote="Ruth B"]If they have been fine together for 8 years and this has started to happen suddenly then I would suspect that something has changed and that change is what is causing the issue, the problem is finding out what that change is and solving the problem.

My first thought is are there any new cats in the neighbourhood that might be trying to get in making Breeze feel she has to defend the house more. She might not be deliberately stopping Charlie getting in, just wanting to stop any other cat getting in and Charlie is reacting negatively to Breeze's apparent aggression.

I would also suggest getting both cats checked by a vet to make sure there is no physical reason for the change in behaviour.

If you are in the UK it could partly be the weather, most of my cats are spending a lot of time outside. As long as Charlie has somewhere shady to rest and access to water outside then staying out isn't a problem as long as she can get inside to eat if nothing else, if you are somewhere where there is a chance of rain while you are away then making a temporary shelter for Charlie might be worthwhile. I am assuming that you are having someone come in to look after them while you are away rather than putting them in a cattery, make sure the person coming in knows there is a possible problem and will make sure that Charlie is brought in to have something to eat even if she goes straight back outside afterwards.

As long as they aren't actually fighting then I would accept that it might not be sorted until you get back and don't stress yourself that you have to sort it out before you go, if you are stressed both cats will pick up on it and it will only aggravate the situation. Do everything you can to make sure that the times they are close together are happy ones, like feeding them together or fussing them both at the same time.

The only other suggestion would be to put one or both in a cattery while you are away, but that might be hard to find at the moment, most catteries are fully booked, it would also be an expensive option and might lead to more problems when you are trying to settle them back in when you return.[/quote]