I lost my cat today and it was my fault

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
RJStirling
New Cat Chatter

I lost my cat today and it was my fault

Post by RJStirling »

Today I lost my cat nenya, she was only a year old. Today I rescued two dogs who were ok with cats, turns out they weren't and I had to stop them attacking her. I rushed her to the vets but it was too late.

My heart is absolutely breaking, I couldn't save my baby girl in time and it was all my fault. I'm so lost now, I've had to lock my other two cats outside tonight to save them. I'm so worried how they are going to react.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: I lost my cat today and it was my fault

Post by bobbys girl »

How awful! Poor Nenya, poor you. This is, sadly, not unfamiliar to me and although a terrible shock and tragedy for you, it is a lesson for all of us. Something similar happened to my neighbour and friend (the lady I got Freddie and Billy from). She had one dog, a Retriever who was fine with the cats. Then she she took in two little dogs. She though they would be OK, they weren't. One day one of the small dogs started chasing the sister cat and the pack mentality kicked in. Like you, she couldn't get there in time.

Did you rescue the dogs together, as a pair? One on his own would probably have been alright. But it sounds as though the pack mentality took over.

It is very sad and you must feel terrible. :cry:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I am so sorry for you, to go through that must have been horrible, however it was not your fault.

You had been told that the dogs were fine with cats and you believed what the rescue centre told you, you were trying to help as many animals as you could by giving them all a loving home.

Unfortunately in my opinion the dogs will have to go back to the rescue centre they came from and you will have to let the shelter know the full details of what happened, it is the only way to protect your own remaining cats, and will hopefully mean that they are not homed with other animals again, so you would be protecting any existing pets in possible future households. I think if you kept them, even if you did manage careful introductions to try and make sure they did not attack another cat you would always be worried about what might happen when your back was turned.

Please try not to blame yourself and try not to relive the moment any more than you have to. Concentrate on turning you mind to the good times you had with her and your other two cats and give them lots of fuss, I know you had to separate them from the dogs for their safety, but you need to make sure they get lots of attention so they know they aren't being abandoned.

I will admit that I am not a dog owner and never had been so others might be able to give advice on safely introducing dogs to cats if you do decide you have to keep them or want to get another dog in the future.

Hugs to you and your remaining pets.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I am so very sorry - nothing will stop you blaming yourself, but as Ruth says you were told they were safe with cats, and had no reason not to believe what you were told. I have both cats and dogs, but I think your only solution is to return the dogs immediately, assuming they came from a reputable rescue. If it is a private rehoming, return them if you can, and otherwise find a rescue to take them. It is quite possible that they have lived happily with cats in the past - unfortunately that does not mean that they are safe with all cats, and I think it is very unlikely that any amount of careful introduction will prevent further problems.
Kittyboy1413
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kittyboy1413 »

I am so sorry for your loss, may peace find you both on your ways back into embrace. I joined this forum today to share my own loss from last week. Similar sort of thing, my cat was killed and it was my fault. Should I share a new topic or can I discuss it here?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I would say it would all depend on the breed of dog. I would never introduce any terrier or hound to a cat family. The temptation to chase furry things is pretty much inbred.

My whippet x collie Bonnie would chase ANYTHING that ran from her. But if it turned to face her, she went to bits. My OH's Lurcher Katie was introduced to the family rabbit on day one. The rabbit beat her up and she NEVER chased anything again. As soft as both dogs were, I would never have trusted them as a 'pack'. Something primitive takes over.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Kittyboy1413 I don't see your post? Did I miss it?
Kittyboy1413
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kittyboy1413 »

I only posted the one comment. I will write out my story after work.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi so sorry to read about Nenya & feel for you. Bobby’s Girl, Famous & Ruth have advised to return the dogs to the rescue so to protect your other cats. Pack mentality is something that’s difficult to overcome. How were you to know that this was going to happen. We have a very bad wild dog problem here & the damage they do. I’ve heard some horrible stories. Keep your other cats close & they’ll try and comfort you. Thinking of you at this sad time. Take care.
Bertie 2017
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Bertie 2017 »

Hi please don’t blame yourself ,bad things happen ,we have ,no control over
Sometimes a good deed ,can backfire ,you seem ,too me ,too be a good person ,
Who made a mistake ,and I totally understand ,the love and bond ,you had with
Your cat ,plus I expect ,you feel that you let your cat down , as I have said
It was a simple honest mistake
So please don’t be hard on yourself

Take care