Cat Proofing

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Cat Proofing

Post by papa cat »

Does anyone know if cat proofing a fence HAS to be at 45 degrees or is a 90 degree angle effective (ie horizontal)
I am planning to install an enclosed "Catio" but, for reasons that are too complex to explain, it cannot have a roof or top.
I am concerned that a 45 degree angle will make it look more like a prison fence than a cat enclosure.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat Proofing

Post by Lilith »

You're right - it does lol and I can't see why 90 degrees shouldn't work - same principle, if a cat inside climbs the fence it comes to a barrier and would have to hang upside down like a sloth to get over it.

Good luck! :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Could you use netting rather than a solid roof?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I have a 90 degree overhang, as building regulations restricted the total fence height to 6 foot

It worked for Trigger and Tiffany, who never escaped, but when 8 years after it was built I got Tosker, he managed to shin up the wooden support post and lever himself over the overhang - this was because he has very short legs, and also I think because he was so petrified when I first got him his desire to escape made him attempt what I had believed impossible - after a spell of living in my neighbours garage and eating in the garden, he decided to start climbing back in - he jumped down using the house wall, and although he continued to climb in and out a couple of times a day, he gave it up around the age of 7

the nice plus about a right-angled overhang is that it provides a lovely support for clematis, which climbs up and over just like Tosker used to
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

booktigger wrote:Could you use netting rather than a solid roof?
No, I live in a ground floor retirement flat with flats above. The housing association that manages these flats requires that access to the upper floors be available to persons with ladders for maintenance and window cleaning.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

papa cat wrote:
booktigger wrote:Could you use netting rather than a solid roof?
No, I live in a ground floor retirement flat with flats above. The housing association that manages these flats requires that access to the upper floors be available to persons with ladders for maintenance and window cleaning.
I wonder if you could do a similiar thing to me - I'm having a catio built on an upstairs window and wanted access for window cleaning etc so having a trap door system for the floor, wonder if you could have a hinged roof?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Just yesterday I read a story on Facebook about one cat who defeated an overhang system. I think it's worth quoting here.
I have the protectapet system installed and I have one cat who can get out of it. She is the only one but it took her less than 3 mins to figure it out and was out and away in around 30 seconds. Luckily she came back the next morning.

She climbed to almost the top of the stone wall and the mesh was above her head and of course sticking inwards approx two thirds of a metre (as per instructions), and she hung herself literally sideways (her body was upside down in flight) and grabbed the edge of the mesh, she then dangled for a few seconds before pulling herself up and over. My other cats literally sat back with stunned expressions on their faces. I only know what happened as we have CCTV and I was able to rewind and see it. I wish I had saved the clip.
I've looked at Protectapet, and their netting looks to be rigid, which might offer support to such an acrobatic cat. My cat enclosure is partly fenced with an overhang from Felisafe (75cm overhang). The netting is much more flexible, and I wasn't able to make it bowstring tight, so it would be less supporting for a climber. So far neither of my cats have got out, and no neighbouring cats have got in.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

Talking about acrobatic cats........take a look at this !!

https://www.facebook.com/trynottolaughp ... 163561223/
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant if dangerous at times - cats have no nerves have they? But no 'help' from humans by the look of it, or animals being put into undignified situations. That slow-motion clip was incredible.

I am SOOOOOO glad Molly wasn't watching - she'd be having a ride on the ceiling fan by now, that one ... :o
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Terrific, Papa cat! Some cats, you'd only contain them with an actual cage - and I wouldn't leave wire cutters or pliers around!
Voskhod_02
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Voskhod_02 »

Speaking of cat proofing, I have a little question.

How the hell would you prepare this house for three indoor cats who've lived in a flat in a big city for all of their lives? One of them has already been taken to the countryside for 2 weeks and fared well, but I'm scared for the others.
My wife and I had been planning to buy this house and move to Greece now that we both work from home, since we've always wanted to have some greenery and sunshine, and our children aren't complaining, but what are we going to do with the cats?

I thought about keeping them inside, first only upstairs for a couple weeks (as it's more or less the same surface as our flat), maybe buy a nice cat tree or something, and then let them go to the ground floor for a month, and then let them out for one or two days each week (as much as I can control that), and then let them do as they please.

Do you think it's doable? I have never brought cats from the city to the countryside apart from one specific instance, and am quite scared they could run away or be ran over by a car.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

I presume the house has at least two doors to the outside. Decide on one of these to be the cat access, and build an enclosure outside it. Google animal pen, chicken run, aviary etc for ideas. My cats have an enclosure about 3 metres by 10 metres, and that gives them reasonable scope for exercise.

Check local planning laws, but so long as you keep the enclosure completely within your property, I'd guess you'd be okay. Trying to cat-proof the whole garden would be difficult, and would entail high fences between your property and the neighbours, which is more likely to lead to arguments.

I wouldn't like to see your cats given complete freedom in such a totally strange place.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

My first thought is to look into screen doors and windows if they aren't already fitted. While not that common yet in the UK they are more so in other countries as many of them are designed to let the breeze in and the flies out, i'm not sure whether they are readily available in Greece but with the heat you can expect during the Summer months I would have hoped they would be. You will need to find out how much it would be to have every window and door fitted with one and decide which styles would be best to allow you access to and from the house with out allowing the cats out. That would keep them entirely contained with in the house, you could then decide whether a cat run would be best and where to put it.
Voskhod_02
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Voskhod_02 »

Thanks, that's solid advice. The house does have several doors to the outside, we'll choose which one is more convenient to fit a cat flap to. So yeah, I think I'll cat-proof one part of the yard and keep the rest off-limits so that they don't wander off.
Tanvi579
New Cat Chatter

Post by Tanvi579 »

I agree that certainly was a great advice.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by ThorpeDave »

After cat proofing our garden, I quickly realised that the cats felt as though they were imprisoned.

So I started to think what I could do to ease this feeling.

Both Mia and Hendrix like to get high so, I put in some platforms and some catnip plants :D

The platforms allow them to see over the boundaries using "value" decking boards. While this seems to have satisfied their desire to see beyond our garden it does also provide a potential escape route. The platforms are just under the netting but allows them to sit upright. No attempt has been made to escape BUT, as our garden is only 3.5m wide, we have decided to put a mesh roof around the areas of the platform.

Shelters have also been provided as well as tunnels, heather, catnip, Valerian, grass, coir door mat for scratching, and AstroTurf which they seem to love.

The garden is covered by CCTV so I have been able to monitor any potential vulnerable areas.

would be quite interested to hear of any other ideas.

Regards

Dave
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I put trellis panels diagonally over two corners in my enclosure, which allows me to put a high cat climbing tower underneath without fear of escape, and also allows me to grow clematis up the fence and over the trellis, which provides nice dappled shade for the cats
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Kay wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:32 pm I put trellis panels diagonally over two corners in my enclosure, which allows me to put a high cat climbing tower underneath without fear of escape, and also allows me to grow clematis up the fence and over the trellis, which provides nice dappled shade for the cats
Any chance of a picture? Our back garden gets a lot of sun so providing shade in multiple areas is something I want to do

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh the coir mat, the coir mat! Turned upside down I'm presuming, for claws to get a better purchase?

My Molly loves to sharpen her claws on carpeting, matting, astroturf - I never thought of a heavy coir mat but I'm getting her one as soon as possible.

And astroturf transforms a yard-type garden, appearance, atmosphere wise ... you (and they) are going to have a little paradise out there - they won't want to get out of it :)
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:48 am Oh the coir mat, the coir mat! Turned upside down I'm presuming, for claws to get a better purchase?

Just a good quality doormat the right way up - but a very well known DIY store does this one
5052931366071_01c.jpg
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

I spoil them
DSCI0550[1].jpg
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

IMG_20190531_125014 (2) - Copy.jpg
this will give some idea, Dave - one clematis is a spring flowering one, and one a late summer one
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Kay wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:33 pm IMG_20190531_125014 (2) - Copy.jpgthis will give some idea, Dave - one clematis is a spring flowering one, and one a late summer one
Oh that is great! - I am not much of a gardener and even find it difficult to grow weeds! but that gives some ideas.

I have seen videos of cat proofed gardens with cats walking around in them looking pretty unhappy - I don't want that for my cats especially as there will be 4 of them out and about soon!

As far as I know, I have removed any plants that are poisonous to cats

Regards

Dave
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Progress so far
ch02-208-19_04_30_11_25_09_3.jpg
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

that looks very neat Dave - I reckon they'll soon sort that out when they all have access - I think you will find they will want to lie in the shade more than the sun, and I have found simple decking slabs make cheap and popular place for mine to lie on, and scratch too

a water feature would give them some entertainment too - something like this perhaps sunken in part way https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wine-barrel-so ... way&sr=8-2
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Kay wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:50 pm that looks very neat Dave - I reckon they'll soon sort that out when they all have access - I think you will find they will want to lie in the shade more than the sun, and I have found simple decking slabs make cheap and popular place for mine to lie on, and scratch too

a water feature would give them some entertainment too - something like this perhaps sunken in part way https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wine-barrel-so ... way&sr=8-2
Thanks - Yes some shading is required which is difficult in our garden in the summer. There was a large fig tree there last year which Mia lay under - in fact that is where we found her a couple of years ago.

The artificial grass is just the cheap stuff from any discount store because it will get torn to bits in the not too distant future.

Today some pet friendly disinfectant arrived which will be applied before the kittens go out in 2-3 weeks. Water, at the moment, is via a stainless steel dog bow but I would like a water feature.

The shelters were relatively cheap and have been painted with a water based garden paint on the outside only. the paint was recommended on rabbit forums. Hendrix likes the pink one :shock: Sadly, my wife found bath mats at Tesco which just happens to be the same colour!

The cat proofing itself was a diy install using ProtectaPet brackets, wire mesh, and netting

Would love to see what others have done ;)

Regards

Dave
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Dave have I missed something re 4 kitties...Mia & the terror you had neutered & now 2 kittens. I’ve had my pergola enclosed on 2 sides with cat netting & the Famous Five from Oz love it .. Vivian.
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Mayday21 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:40 pm Hi Dave have I missed something re 4 kitties...Mia & the terror you had neutered & now 2 kittens. I’ve had my pergola enclosed on 2 sides with cat netting & the Famous Five from Oz love it .. Vivian.
Mia, Chapter 3 is now running in the general cat chatting forum

4 cats in total, Queen Mia, now 5 years old, Hendrix the horror at 11 months old and 2 three month old kittens, Jasper and his little sister Morgana Violet.

Regards

Dave
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

ThorpeDave and Kay - I missed those photos - those gardens look great :D

I recognise the coir mat - B&Q, yes? They've got quite a range starting at £7 if I'm not mistaken, which is pretty cheap compared to conventional pet products ... and my 'new' staircarpet, which is beginning to look a little weary after Molly's attentions ... pity it's so cold here ... the Wakefield mistral, as the late great Alan Plater called it, is still howling round the streets and sitting outdoors is pretty grim ... I don't think even the intrepid Molly would stay long in the back garden ... summer, as someone else put it, seems to have set in with its usual severity ... :(
ThorpeDave
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by ThorpeDave »

Lilith wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:18 am ThorpeDave and Kay - I missed those photos - those gardens look great :D

I recognise the coir mat - B&Q, yes? They've got quite a range starting at £7 if I'm not mistaken, which is pretty cheap compared to conventional pet products ... and my 'new' staircarpet, which is beginning to look a little weary after Molly's attentions ... pity it's so cold here ... the Wakefield mistral, as the late great Alan Plater called it, is still howling round the streets and sitting outdoors is pretty grim ... I don't think even the intrepid Molly would stay long in the back garden ... summer, as someone else put it, seems to have set in with its usual severity ... :(
At £7 they are certainly cheaper than anything marketed for cats and certainly will take a lot more than dedicated products.

We have one in the house but considering adding at least one more as the cats really do like them! Of course it will have to be the black cat one!

Regards

Dave