Neighbour's neglected cats

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Igraine
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Neighbour's neglected cats

Post by Igraine »

Hello - newbie here. I have a situation with a neighbour neglecting their cats. One of them is too timid to approach, the other is a really sweet ginger puss. Both are thin, have fleas and are generally not looked after. Other neighbours know of the situation but the owner is not a nice person and there is the question of abuse/retaliation from her (I live alone). I have been advised not to feed the cat (only the ginger one comes near) by a CP volunteer friend as it can leave the 'rescuer' open to abuse - this friend has suffered that in exactly the same situation. Also, apparently the RSPCA deem it encouragement if you do and therefore they can't go and rescue it, or something - not quite sure of that. I admit I did feed it when it was baking hot, putting in as much water into the food as I could, and it just wolfed it down.

The situation is heart-breaking. I have had cats all my life and I hate to see one being treated like this. I am wracking my brain trying to think of something I could say to her so that she doesn't get defensive (or nasty!), like "oh, your cat dashed in to my kitchen and finished off my cat's food. I'm absolutely fine about this but worried that your cat is on a special diet". As if.....! Or do I just go ahead and feed it?

I am sure many Forum members have been in this situation and I would welcome some advice.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Neighbour's neglected cats

Post by Kay »

I wouldn't feed it directly but I would put out some good quality dry food and a bowl of water each day for any cat that happened to need it :)

Who could object to that?
Igraine
New Cat Chatter

Post by Igraine »

Thanks for your idea, Kay. I have just given 'a passing cat' ;) some Hills dry food.... I just can't stand by and watch this sweet little cat fade away.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Good on you I would do exactly the same and maybe the more timid one will come for a feed when no ones around