Any ideas?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Any ideas?

Post by bobbys girl »

I feel bad about this. With all the fuss about Freddie over the last week we hadn't noticed how bad this had got. A few weeks ago Purdy was having some health issues and seemed to be having trouble chewing. When she was still very young she got into a fight with something (?) and ended up with a broken jaw and loss of sight in one eye. She got over it remarkably well and has been in good health ever since. one lower fang was damaged and has always been smaller and yellow. The vet said it should come out but because of her age (13) and previous damage to her jaw they were reluctant to operate and remove it. She was given a couple of shots, AB's, painkillers and we agreed to see how she went on.

Well the tooth has been OK and she is eating alright, but a patch appeared at the site of the injection. It started as a small square that looked like a patch of fake fur stuck on her back between her shoulder blades. It started to peel around the edge but she seemed OK with it.

Then all the fuss about Fred started and we weren't as observant about Purdy. Saturday morning the whole patch came off (sometime overnight) and this appeared. We are taking her to the vet tomorrow. But my question is - has anybody had a similar problem or seen this sort of thing before?
rsz_003 (1).jpg
You can see where the skin had started to heal around the edges. Poor baby. It doesn't seem to be bothering her too much, but it does look sore.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Any ideas?

Post by Kay »

that looks very like the sore Tiffany used to get on the injection site after annual boosters - a symmetrical bald spot appeared overnight followed by a sore, and each year it got bigger until vaccinations had to be stoppped - vet thought it was an immune response to something in the vaccine

it used to heal up without intervention, mostly I suppose because she couldn't reach between her shoulder blades, and I never saw any signs it was bothering her - the biggest worry might be an infection setting in
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's what we thought. But I thought it was only with vaccinations as there are some nasty adjuvants in vaccines (aluminium, mercury, formaldehyde). That I can understand, but I am not sure of the contents of AB's and pain killers?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Pippin gets a similar, but not quite as severe, reaction to spot on flea treatments, surgical spirit, etc. I now use the six-monthly jab against fleas, and we have discovered that washing off surgical spirit immediately prevents the reaction to that. My cure-all is HyperCal ointment, as you know - that has always cleared it up eventually.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Where do you get Hypercal ointment?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Holland and Barrett, or online. And I've had good results with Hypercal tincture, available from Tessa Jordan - expensive but you don't need much and lasts for years - https://www.tessajordan.co.uk/shop/Home ... edies.aspx

These inflammations are the very devil, they flare up in no time and take ages to clear up :( The only solution is the cone of shame or similar ... for ages, to stop them licking and picking, but hypercal's really good, agree with Fjm.

So sorry to hear, on top of Freddie's catastrophe - good luck to them both, you must be feeling totally frazzled, love, Lil xxx
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Sue apologies I missed this post on Purdy over the weekend. One of LP’s members, Gail, who breeds Ragdolls, currently is looking after a Tortie who has something similar. The vet she’s goes to, not LP’s vet, told her to stop spot on flea treatment & use Comfortis tabs. The Tortie’s skin is improving. I’ll speak to Gail later & ask if she’s using any meds on the area. Praying there’s not a third issue. Fusses to everyone. Vivian
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Sue Gail suggested a cream with high zinc content if you can get it we can’t buy high content here. The cream she got from the pharmacy has 40% zinc content. Product ”Desitin”. She said she thinks it’s used for nappy rashes. Apparently there’s other products around. Clear as mud ...Vivian