Cats sleeping in my garden

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
jb12
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cats sleeping in my garden

Post by jb12 »

I have two constant visitors to my garden that have found the perfect spot to sleep overnight and generally hang out after dark. I have a rescue cat Susie aged 7 who is not the most confident (have had her for coming up for 5 months and she loves fuss only when she wishes, not comfortable with being picked up etc etc, quick to scratch if irritated but seemingly happy in her new environment) who when clocking these cats from inside the house becomes hugely distressed. (i make sure that once it gets dark she is inside)

On one level i realise that I cannot control other cats coming into my garden, but equally its frustrating that it clearly upsets her. Any advice on how best to deal with this?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cats sleeping in my garden

Post by MarySkater »

You probably can't stop other cats coming in, short of doing a complete cat-proofing job, but you could discourage them. Google "cat repellent," and you'll find various options like things that smell bad to cats, or ultrasound that they're supposed to dislike. I don't know how well they work, but try the Amazon reviews to get an idea. Of course, you can't treat your whole garden or it will become unpleasant to your cat, but maybe you could make the visitors' corner unattractive. You might also try thorny branches on their chosen bed, or see if you can rig up a sprinkler system which you could turn on from inside the house.

I was daunted by the practical challenge of cat-proofing my whole garden, but I made over about a third of it for a cat pen. My cats have unlimited access to it, and neighbourhood cats can't get in.

Let us know if you find a solution, because it's a common problem.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome :)

A few years ago I had a problem with neighbours' cats fouling in my (secured) garden. I didn't wish the cats any malice and provided them with means to get out, but as for those two ignorant mucky households, grrrr!

I bought an ultrasound device and it worked a treat. I could switch it off before my own cats went out; a couple of times I'd forget and my cats would run straight back in, but once it was off, they'd be out again. So it didn't traumatise them. I got it from Amazon. My only grouse was that it didn't last long, but those neighbours have moved now.

I also have one for barking dogs and it too works very well - a gentle way I think to cure a nuisance.

Good luck!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Lilith, thanks for the info about the ultrasound gadgets. Useful to know.
jb12
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by jb12 »

Thanks all for replies.... definitely some food for thought!