My cat has become clinging.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
cyberkath
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

My cat has become clinging.

Post by cyberkath »

Hi

We moved from a house with a big garden last October, to a bungalow with a smaller garden. We bought a Feliaway adapter, let Tom out gradually and he seemed to settle in ok. There are a couple of cats in the house behind us, they don't come into our garden as far as we know. Tom has seemed ok until the last month, when he has become clingy, changed where he has slept - used to be in the bedroom, now sleeps in the lounge and not bothered with his toys or favourite blanket.

Any ideas.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: My cat has become clinging.

Post by MarySkater »

Maybe he encountered a strange cat, or some other animal, in the garden at a time when you weren't watching, and got scared? Does he seem happy to go out in the garden, or has his behaviour there changed?
cyberkath
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by cyberkath »

He does go out for short bursts and has a cat flap that is responsive to his chip only, we do live near fields so maybe he may have come into contact with a fox, but foxes were spotted around our old house. He was two years old, when we had him and was previously abandoned, so am wondering if something has triggered a memory from when he was abandoned, he has always been nervous of refuse collections.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I don't think changes in where they sleep or the toys they favour necessarily means anything is wrong though - more than once I have been on the point of throwing out or re-homing a bed which has been totally ignored for months, even years, only to find a cat curled up in it

being clingy and yet sleeping away from you suggests Tom may just have shifted his day/night balance somewhat
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Is he ok healthwise? sometimes changes in behaviour can indicate health problem.
cyberkath
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by cyberkath »

We're taking him to the vets on Monday for his boosters, so shall ask the vet then. They are very good and always give a thorough check up, so hopefully they may have some advice and shed any light on any health problems.