Sad News

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Sad News

Post by AndyMac »

I adopted Mia a few months ago after losing my cat Jet to cancer in April. Unfortunately Mia was struck by a car this evening outside the house and was dead by the time I got her to the vet. I was in the garden weeding and did not notice her going onto the road. I just happened to stand up and saw Mia laying on the road as a car drove past and ran over and picked her up and took her inside the house and phoned the vet. I drove to the vet and Mia still felt warm so kept telling her she would be ok but the vet could not feel a heartbeat and said it was head trauma and she would have died instantly.

Its hard to accept that she is gone from me so soon - I do feel responsible for letting her out but she seemed to love getting outside as she was an indoor cat with her previous owner - I think now I am done with cats - losing two so soon is heartbreaking and Mia was such an affectionate cat and maybe she would have been better off being adopted by someone more responsible !!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Sad News

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Andy sorry to read about Mia & empathise with how you’re feeling after losing her & Jet. I remember you losing Jet. Please don’t say you’re done with cats as I’ve posted before the universe has a strange way of helping one cope. You’ll receive much support from others as you work through losing little, lovely Mia. RIPlittle un. Andy you know you can post whenever here if you need to talk. Alas it’s people who care & love their fur babes who really suffer when they’ve been taken from us. Take care my friend. Vivian
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks Vivian. I haven't slept or eaten and am walking around the house with no purpose. I blame myself for what happened. I was responsible for her and should have kept a closer eye on her when she was out. I know it has only been a few months that she was with me and remember the day I brought her home and watching her explore the house and wondering if I had done the right thing adopting her. She settled in great and she was very affectionate. I will get her ashes and she will sit beside Jet.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Oh Andy, I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor little Mia.

Remember though, those months she had with you might have been too few, but were far better than sitting in a shelter waiting for another adopter to come along. She had lots of love and affection from you.

I know it's early days and guilt is normal in a situation like this but please try not to blame yourself. Most cats love to go out and explore, I've had two cats, Blue and Tiggy, that both came from an indoor only home, and to see them outside enjoying the garden, feeling the wind in their fur and sniffing the breeze, more than made up for the knowledge that every time they went out there was a risk they wouldn't come home. We decide to put our cats happiness before the risk of our own heartbreak. Mia was enjoying herself, and if it was head trauma she probably never knew what hit her, her last thoughts would have been happy ones.

Give yourself time to recover, and never say never, in a few months time there may be a cat that need you and and the love you can offer it.

Also remember there are plenty of us here that are happy to talk if it helps.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks Ruth I just cannot believe that this has happened again so soon after losing Jet in April. I have had a good cry and been angry with everything but am a lot calmer now. I went to the vets today and arranged to get Mia cremated and get an urn for her. It's the least I can do for her and get her home.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I’m so sorry you have lost Mia under such traumatic circumstances Andy, I can understand you feeling you can’t cope with another cat, but you are a responsible owner, and maybe with time you will feel differently.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Sadly life is full of risk if its a life worth living and you gave her a life worth living and love and care try to remember the happiness you gave each other and be grateful for it
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Oh Andy ... what can I say? :cry:

Please don't beat yourself up, love and hugs, Lil x
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks for the support. I had a long walk this afternoon but dreaded coming back to an empty house. I suppose I will have to get used to it again.
cittyner
New Cat Chatter

Post by cittyner »

Sorry to hear :(
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear the news Andy. As the others have said, please don't blame yourself. I know it is easier said than done and we all go through the 'what if's' - they don't help. Please don't close the door to adopting another kitty. I am sure, when the time is right, a new friend will come along. They won't be replacements but they will need you.