New kitten - poop help

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tinkerbeth
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

New kitten - poop help

Post by Tinkerbeth »

Hi, we adopted a 14week old kitten from a rescue on Sunday. She's been using litter tray fine and all normal. However this evening her poops have been more yellow and runny... We did give her quite a few whiskas kitty milky treats around 6ish so I'm wondering if this could be the cause? I'm guessing this is the first time she's had them and think we may have given her a couple too many on her first try of them : :(
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: New kitten - poop help

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome, yes I’d say the treats are the cause if all was fine before. Usually it’s best to stick to what they’ve been having and gradually introduce other foods if you like. Saying that it’s tempting to treat your new little cat but you will find what agrees with what doesn’t over time. My cat used to to be fine with the odd Webbox treat but now they make her sick the minute she’s eaten one and she’s not too good with other treats either - maybe they’re too rich?
Fusses to your little girl -what’s her name? :)
Tinkerbeth
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Tinkerbeth »

Thanks! Neither me or my OH have had cats before so this is a whole new world. She's called Lucy, we have a 2yr old so I wanted a nice simple name for her to say and remember haha.

She has popped throughout the night/day and all looked fine, but then tonight she has done another runny one (thankfully in her litter tray). She was having cuddles and purring loud before going to do it - could it be like excited tummy?? Last night when she had a couple of runny ones it was when she was happy and playing with us (and also after the treats). But she hasn't had any treats since yesterday and has done normal poops in between so tonights can't be that.
Sorry! I just feel a bit lost so I hope that makes sense haha.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

It could be that too. Has Lucy had a vet check yet and been flead and wormed?
PS give her a snuggle from me :)
Tinkerbeth
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Tinkerbeth »

I think she was last flea and wormed a couple of weeks ago. We got her at a cat rescue, she was brought in with her mum and brothers at a few days old so I assume they have been checked over etc. I would be concerned if it was every single poop but between the ones when we were playing last night and the one playing tonight she has seemed fairly normal.
Tinkerbeth
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Tinkerbeth »

I think she was last flea and wormed a couple of weeks ago. We got her at a cat rescue, she was brought in with her mum and brothers at a few days old so I assume they have been checked over etc. I would be concerned if it was every single poop but between the ones when we were playing last night and the one playing tonight she has seemed fairly normal.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

It could well be she is just excited by the chance in circumstances and all the attention. It might be worth contacting the rescue just to check what she had been fed there and when she was wormed, try and stick to the same food and if she needs worming then get something from your vets, flea and worm treatments are always worth getting from a vets you can get far better ones there, but they might need to see her before they can give them out. If she seems happy in herself I wouldn't worry too much unless it goes on for several weeks or gets worse.

You have just taken on a new little life that you are totally responsible for, any sensible person would find that a bit overwhelming, but we have all been there, even if for some of us it seems a long time ago, feel free to ask what ever you want no matter how trivial or stupid it may seem to you there are plenty here willing to help with advise and know you only want the best for Lucy.

Welcome to the forum.
Tinkerbeth
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Tinkerbeth »

Thanks Ruth. Yeah I shall contact the rescue tomorrow and just see what they think. Her food is the same as what they were giving her as I got it from them when we collected her. The only thing she has had today other than the biscuits she had at rescue is a Felix salmon jelly pouch .. they did give her them in there I just wonder if she hasn't had salmon before :? . All a bit of a guessing game, she seems fine in herself and it's not every single time she goes.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Tinkerbeth I’d be contacting a vet & taking a stool sample. Could be bacteria infection from mum. Better to be safe as kittens can go down very quickly, My Harper had to be treated for cocedia 2x. Something she caught from her mum & is quite nasty & contagious. Had to treat her & my other three with drenching cattle meds...poor things used to froth at mouth as it must have tasted fowl. My vet say this may have contributed to Harper’s gingivitis & she’s 2.5 yrs. Vivian